Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 10:57:32 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  General topics
| | |-+  Pardus-based distro
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pardus-based distro  (Read 2191 times)
waf
« on: May 22, 2009, 23:26:23 PM »

-
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 18:19:09 PM by waf » Logged
gölge
Pardus fellow craft

who you are!..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 01:24:40 AM »

i think it because pardus is not a well known distro as other big brothers. probably it will change if pardus 2009 is promoted well.

MacLone

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 19:27:24 PM »

I think Pardus is a great quality OS much better than Fedora, suse and ubuntu but you have to admit that is based on nothing... and that's why is not popular enough. It does not matter the promotion, what matters is the adoption...and only a few adventurers will use it. That's what you want?
I would like to ask pardus developers: what's your goal? If you really want to make a massive distro which can easilly defeat Fedora, suse and ubuntu you MUST base Pardus on something like Debian or RPM so your package base will be bigger than your pissi limited stuff...and that's a fact.
Let's see an example: i wanted to install Deluge bit torrent...there is no deluge pisi so i'm going to try install by source...hmmm...i need a lot of Phyton packages and libs but there is not even half of these libs in the pisi repo...it's impossible to install deluge unless you are a linux geek with a lot of time.

Saludos!! / Hi!!
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 23:13:03 PM »

... Maybe, in a few days...
Be patient !
And don't forget:
Pardus is made for and payed for by the Turkish government.
That is where there first priority is, (and I think) will be.
gölge
Pardus fellow craft

who you are!..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 00:52:43 AM »

Turkish users also deserve good repositories and good scientific software.

Sorry, but today waf is a little angry  Angry

Smiley

i guess YALI, KAPTAN and PISI  redeveloped for extra performance and stability, so as you can see repackaging whole applications for new PISI architecture must be a little bit hard. i hope they will finish soon.

BenimAdımKırmızı
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 08:28:37 AM »

@ waf
remember the 2007.3 repo and remember what was released with pardus2008 in the beginning....
Pardus got always the same Problem - it starts with all necessary Packages and some other important Packages are slipped through i guess.
We all wrote bugs like missing Packages and the Devs did all the could do

So yes it is a lack of Pardus in compare with other major distros. But youre promoting Pardus, and thats good. So the Pardus community can grow!

And back to the thread:

Well if Pardus needs Derivates or something else it needs a larger and compatible Repository.

I'd like to see Pardus Xfce-edition, the LXDE-edition, the Gnome-edition and a "User-edition"
Pardus' focus it in KDE - so it needs more packagers or some Pardus-freaks which will "crack" the Pardus-base.img on the Iso and more Packages to build a "otherEdition-Repo" but who will maintain, and do all this?

I dont know who to deal with this "issues" because Pardusman is not working for me, i got no Plan how to build Packages, and i got no Idea how to crack the Img.-file.

The Pardus-devs must give a good Dokumentation, maybe switch to unionfs or squashfs on the Iso to make such Things possible.

But i guess they got no time for this Roll Eyes
jan37
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 17:38:35 PM »

@waf
"Developers: if you need more time, take it!"

IIRC about 2 years ago there were some comments in various forums that KDE was more popular than Gnome.
Then the KDE 4 debacle (i.e rushed)
Now the following opinion in OSNews:(comments section)

http://www.osnews.com/comments/21846

Star  Xubuntu: The Better Ubuntu than Ubuntu 

KDEs problem:

"It just does not get the same attention from big companies. Novell, Red Hat, Intel, Nokia, Canonical etc. all employ a lot of GTK/Gnome hackers.
Qt is well maintained by Nokia, but for KDE they only employ Aaron Seigo. Novell has a few older SUSE KDE hackers on the payroll, but let go a few go lately. Mandrake has very few and Canonical has one.
That is why KDE gets a lot more development in the Summer because of Googles Summer of code.
Same with distros. Kubuntu is much more a community project than Ubuntu. It lacks developers. For Fedora KDE is only a special interest group.
There are only a few distros that do some KDE development (Pradus does a lot of config/glue Python stuff. Others do similar superficial stuff, but no core development.)

That is also why KDE4 lacks a lot of enterprise functionality that was there in KDE3, because volunteers are not so much into that stuff. They like to build flashy new desktop stuff.

I think KDE should embrace these facts and not try to be something it isn't. It is a enthusiast desktop and it should embrace its users and listen to their brainstorm at forums.kde.

It should work on a social desktop and try to integrate better with Debian. A true community distro is KDEs best option right now.

Try getting new versions of KDE into Debian Testing fast would be a great choice for most people.

And it should work on a more social desktop.
I great suggestion in this regard is this:
http://whilos.blogsite.org/?p=144"

NB "It is a enthusiast desktop ..."

(pity that Pardus name misspelled)

MacLone

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 19:41:30 PM »

Well, that's what i meant in the first place. Pardus is an enthusiasts distro or a massive distro like ubuntu?
Pardus devs are incredible good but the goal does not go much futher than Turkey even with 11 languages in it.
Base on debian and let's see pardus going to the first place.

Saludos!! / Hi!!
BenimAdımKırmızı
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 22:42:28 PM »

Well, that's what i meant in the first place. Pardus is an enthusiasts distro or a massive distro like ubuntu?
Pardus devs are incredible good but the goal does not go much futher than Turkey even with 11 languages in it.
Base on debian and let's see pardus going to the first place.

I dont think so:
1. Ubuntu got money
2. Ubuntu used Debian
3. Debian and Ubuntu got a lot of Devs all over the world
4. Ubuntu is not Debian Wink

Pardus got less money , Pardus is on its own, Pardus got a "few" Devs...

But look on Distrowatch and compare with other Debiandistros - Pardus does pretty well.
Pardus has not this hughe Community to get more Languages done - but maybe there will be more some Day. Ubuntu's childhood wasnt much better than Pardus childhood now i suppose - now Ubuntu is a bit older and People switch to Pardus cause Ubuntus releases couldnt keep always the same Quality, and like Mepis-fronter said Ubuntu is always a "new" distro...

Base it on Debian? for what?

I repeat if Pardus may open some restrictions then Pardus can get No.: 10 i guess
Have a look at Arch, independent, own thing a good Community - give Pardus a chance Wink
[we just have to make a little Pressure to the Devs to change some things Huh?]
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: