Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 02:50:00 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  Restore of original GRUB [SOLVED]
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Restore of original GRUB [SOLVED]  (Read 1065 times)
azra
Pardus Master

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2009, 10:48:50 AM »

I have an old IBM T21 (PIII; 256 ram) on which I installed Pardus 2008. Because it runs a bit slow, I decided to dual boot with Slitaz, a super fast minimal distro. Installation went without a hitch, but Slitz's GRUB did not recognise that I have Pardus installed there and overwrote the GRUB settings only showing Slitaz.

I managed to add the Pardus entry to the Slitaz GRUB, but I would like to restore my original Pardus GRUB with the additional SLITAZ entry (and not the other way round as it is right now if you still follow what I am trying to say).

How would I do that? If I update either distro in the future, will both entries be added to the GRUB menu? I note from other posts that a wish for a GRUB (recovery) was entered, but no news there either?

Thanks!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 23:08:10 PM by azra » Logged
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 12:32:01 PM »

To install Pardus' GRUB, type in a Pardus' terminal, as root :
Code:
grub-install /dev/sda

If I update either distro in the future, will both entries be added to the GRUB menu?

Yes, because a GRUB update won't change the GRUB configuration file (grub.conf).

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
azra
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 16:56:55 PM »

Thanks as always PhiX, I shall try that tonight.  Smiley

Re: my second question, and so that I am clear, if I update SliTaz, it will update Pardus' menu.lst ?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 18:04:19 PM by azra » Logged
BenimAdımKırmızı
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 19:23:55 PM »

no it wont update the pardus- Grub .menu.lst
but if slitaz got grub 2 it will update the kernelentry in the slitaz menu.list if a kernel upgrade on pardus happend.
azra
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 22:52:08 PM »

Hi Benim

Ok, thanks for that, the GRUB reinstall under Pardus worked well but I had to manually amend the menu.lst since it did not see the SliTaz partition.  Sad

I cannot see SliTaz using Grub 2 in the future, so I will just have to keep on top of things.

Thx to all for the support!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: