Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 09:16:24 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Installing Pardus
| | |-+  Pardus 2009 Install Question
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pardus 2009 Install Question  (Read 3491 times)
dr-kde

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2009, 11:48:48 AM »

I am aware that currently Pardus 2009 is at the beta stage, I am wandering if I install it now, will there be an Automatic upgrade route to Pardus RC's and the final release version. Or do I have to do a clean install once its released.

I am able to live with some minors bugs and tweaking.

Also, I am wandering if Pardus 2009 will come with Plymouth http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/Plymouth I am using it at Fedora and it is a beauty. Mandriva is going to be using it in their next edition. 
bubbel
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 12:30:00 PM »

I am aware that currently Pardus 2009 is at the beta stage, I am wandering if I install it now, will there be an Automatic upgrade route to Pardus RC's and the final release version. Or do I have to do a clean install once its released.

Hello and welcome,

you must not install the Final-Version new, because you can upgrade RC to Final-Version. Wink

Greetings
bubbel

dr-kde

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 16:10:53 PM »

I am downloading the latest beta now and I can't wait to install it.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 16:20:58 PM »

As I didn't see an automatic update applet yet in Pardus 2009, you can get the latest version through an update by giving the following commands in a Konsole
sudo pisi ur
and
sudo pisi up
Information about the current installed version can be found in System Information in the Kickoff menu.
andyb
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 19:07:47 PM »

Hi All

Sorry if this is a silly question, but is it possible to upgrade to 2009 from 2008.2 by adding the 2009 repos and using the commands mentioned by atolboo above ?  I realise that it's still beta, but I'd like to help out with testing, if it's possible.

I've had 2008 installed since it came out, but haven't got a spare partition, in case anyone wonders.

Otherwise I guess I should wait for the release, burn a cd, and reinstall, keeping my /home partition?

Many thanks!
bubbel
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 19:21:43 PM »

but is it possible to upgrade to 2009 from 2008.2 by adding the 2009 repos and using the commands mentioned by atolboo above ? 

Hello and welcome,

this possibility is planned. Wink

Greetings
bubbel
andyb
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 19:48:48 PM »

That's good news bubbel- thanks.

That means waiting a few more days until the final 2009 I guess, rather than beta testing?

Something to look forward to!
dr-kde

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 01:09:49 AM »

Pardus 2009 is installed and up and running  Grin and currently writing this from it.
Wow I am really impressed, this is by far the best Linux Desktop distro out there. I have used many including the latest Mandriva, Opensuse, Ubuntu, Arch, Gentoo, PCLinux, Chakra and Fedora.

Many Thanks to all the people involved in the Pardus project. Well done you did a great job. Even Firefox looks good in Pardus, what did u do with the UGLY theme and fonts, plz share the changes upstream.

Now I am thinking about installing it on my parents machine, they are basic PC users, they need to surf the net and office nothing more. They have Windows XP now filled with all the virus invented and I suspect they have some viruses not invented yet Wink 

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 08:12:56 AM »

That's good to hear.
But remember that this is still a Beta version.
And my advice is to install this one only for testing.
In any other case, I recommend to install Pardus 2008 + all updates.
And Pardus 2008 will be automatically updated to 2009 after it has been released.
dr-kde

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 14:42:33 PM »

Although it is still beta it feel polished and solid. I only encountered minor bugs that I am planning to create bug reports for (if they don't exist already). I
Archdevil

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 14:04:21 PM »

Silly question: I read on distrowatch that the new RC2 has new graphics. How do I get them to work and active when I installed RC?

regards,

Marcel.
bubbel
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 14:32:07 PM »

I read on distrowatch that the new RC2 has new graphics. How do I get them to work and active when I installed RC?

Systemsettings > Display

There you can select then the driver of your Grafic-Card.

Greetings
bubbel
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 19:32:08 PM by bubbel » Logged
Archdevil

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 18:52:18 PM »

I wasn't talking about the graphics driver.  Grin

I meant the new splash screens and such.

How do I activate them. They were not abailable in 2009 RC.

How do I make my installation look like I installed RC2?
bubbel
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 19:22:25 PM »

I wasn't talking about the graphics driver.  Grin

Hello,

then I misunderstood you. Sorry. Huh?

Greetings
bubbel
bubbel
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 19:26:21 PM »

Hello,

I hope now you mean this for example: Wink

Systemsetting >Appearance >Starting screen