Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 01:25:48 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  Pardus 2009 BETA root permission <-->GUI editing bug?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pardus 2009 BETA root permission <-->GUI editing bug?  (Read 1595 times)
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2009, 22:08:26 PM »

I encounter some difficulties in trying to edit files that require root permission while using Pardus 2009 BETA:

I wanted to edit the file /etc/hosts slightly
In Pardus one cannot login as root in the session login window (same as always). In Pardus 2008 I used to edit files that require rootpermission in order to edit in the GUI by just right mouse button clicking upon the file icon and choose the option " edit as root"  followed by opening in kwrite.
In the 2009 BETA the "edit as root" option is currentlky missing in the right mouse button menu.

However also when trying to acces the file from the Terminal I do not succeed. As soon as I give myself rootrights/ superuser rights I get an error (listed below)

Kwrite does open from  the terminal when you are a regular user, however it gives a bunch of error lines like this

Code:
michiel@michiel-pardus ~ $ kwrite                                               
kwrite(1584)/kdecore (KSycoca) KSycocaPrivate::openDatabase: Trying to open ksycoca from  "/var/tmp/kde4cache-michiel/ksycoca4"                                 
kwrite(1584)/Kate (Scripting) KateScriptManager::collect: Script value warning: Unknown type ('  '):  /usr/kde/4/share/apps/katepart/script/sort.js             
kwrite(1584)/Kate (Scripting) KateScriptManager::collect: Script value error: No name specified in script meta data:  /usr/kde/4/share/apps/katepart/script/jstest.js                                                                           
kwrite(1584)/Kate (Scripting) KateScriptManager::collect: Script value warning: Unexpected or no priority value  in:  /usr/kde/4/share/apps/katepart/script/lilypond.js . Setting priority to 0                                                 
kwrite(1584)/Kate (Scripting) KateScriptManager::collect: Script value warning: No indent-languages specified for indent  script  /usr/kde/4/share/apps/katepart/script/python.js . Using the name ( Python )                                   
kwrite(1584)/Kate (Scripting) KateScriptManager::collect: Script value warning: Unexpected or no priority value  in:  /usr/kde/4/share/apps/katepart/script/python.js . Setting priority to 0                                                   
kwrite(1584)/Kate (Scripting) KateScriptManager::collect: Script value warning: No indent-languages specified for indent  script  /usr/kde/4/share/apps/katepart/script/cstyle.js . Using the name ( C Style )                                 
kwrite(1584)/Kate (Scripting) KateScriptManager::collect: Script value warning: Unexpected or no priority value  in:  /usr/kde/4/share/apps/katepart/script/cstyle.js . Setting priority to 0     

etcetcetc

However as soon as I try to do the same with root/superusers rights, e,g sudo kwrite or first su and then kwrite and filename I get this error:

Code:
No protocol specified
kwrite: cannot connect to X server :0.0

I am the type of person that really cannot work with the command line editor vi, I always have to look up which keys and shortcuts are necessary in order to perform a specific action, terrible, but that is personal.

Do more testing people encounter problems when trying to edit files that require root permissions, especially when trying to do so with a graphical user interface textprocessor such as kwrite?

Or must I just use an other text processor application in such cases?

A minor thing: in the 2009 BETA Kwrite application by default I see no buttons to increase or decrease fontsize ( I use these often in 2008), that's a pity.

Any hints?

Does this require a bug report?

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 22:16:23 PM »

The answer is Alt+F2 and enter
kdesu kwrite /etc/hosts
And when the bits and bytes are in the right place, this should solve your problem.  Cheesy
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 22:25:52 PM »

OK thanks I can confirm that this works, and generally speaking apparently you have to stay IN the KDE environment to do it in a graphical way.

Still I have the impression that there are several alternatives to do the same in the current 2008 (in terminal kdesu kwrite or the mentioned right mouse click edit as root option) that are now lacking?

I mean kdesu gives now an error in the terminal in 2009 BETA ?
Code:
bash: kdesu: command not found

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 22:51:19 PM »

I agree with you.
KDE4 in NOT (KDE3 + more options). Sad
Some options are missing in KDE4.
Like this option.
And there will be more.........
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 00:06:44 AM »

I agree with you.
KDE4 in NOT (KDE3 + more options). Sad
Some options are missing in KDE4.
Like this option.
And there will be more.........

I added one widget to the desktop, it shows a big KDE icon and upon pressing it you get the applications menu.
I have to admit I do not use it a lot (why go to one place on the dekstop where this button resides instead of going to another place on the desktop were the Kicker menu resides)?

But it is some sort of desktop alternative, the issue remains I guess that people want to have acces to the main menu by clicking the right mouse button ANYwhere on the desktop....

(Desktop right-click->Add widget->Application Launch menu )

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 00:21:27 AM »

...... the right mouse button ANYwhere on the desktop....
Or the middle or left mouse button............
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: