Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 16:41:58 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Tips and tricks
| | |-+  Basic commands for PiSi
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Basic commands for PiSi  (Read 10710 times)
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 14:56:47 PM »

The underlying logic is to test the incoming packages, and to avoid having the same packages listed twice in package manager. I got this idea when I discovered that pardus-test-2008 repository was not only containing the test versions of the packages, but was also containing all the stable packages that are in pardus-2008 repository. In other words, pardus-2008 is included in pardus-test-2008. That's why I decided to remove the former repository and keep only the latter.

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
Llama
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 17:17:04 PM »

I discovered that pardus-test-2008 repository was not only containing the test versions of the packages, but was also containing all the stable packages that are in pardus-2008 repository. In other words, pardus-2008 is included in pardus-test-2008. That's why I decided to remove the former repository and keep only the latter.
That's what I suspected. But there must be some official declaration... Is it there?
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2009, 20:58:42 PM »

I don't know if there is some official declaration about the content of the pardus-test-2008 repository.

Llama
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2009, 09:30:28 AM »

Now I can put my finger on the real oddity: where do they keep things that in any other distro are called test packages (newer versions, to replace the old ones in time). If not in pardus-2008-test, where then?

Meanwhile, I changed my repo layout like this:
$ pisi lr
pardus-2008-test
   http://paketler.pardus.org.tr/pardus-2008-test/pisi-index.xml.bz2
contrib-2008
   http://paketler.pardus.org.tr/contrib-2008/pisi-index.xml.bz2
users-2008
   http://paketler.pardus-linux.org/users-2008/pisi-index.xml.bz2
Is it OK, according to your lights Smiley ?

UPD:

I ran into a system upgrade (kernel including, though non-lethal Smiley ). Upgrade doesn't happen on another VirtualBox installation, where the top repo is pardus-2008.2. I don't understand it and therefore don't quite like it. The lack of official policy, together with the highly unusual repo structure, isn't very nice.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 11:43:40 AM by Llama » Logged
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2009, 14:10:18 PM »

Now I can put my finger on the real oddity: where do they keep things that in any other distro are called test packages (newer versions, to replace the old ones in time). If not in pardus-2008-test, where then?

Tests packages (new ones and next versions of the old ones) are in pardus-test-2008.
There is also an SVN playground where developpers build new packages.

Meanwhile, I changed my repo layout like this:
$ pisi lr
pardus-2008-test
   http://paketler.pardus.org.tr/pardus-2008-test/pisi-index.xml.bz2
contrib-2008
   http://paketler.pardus.org.tr/contrib-2008/pisi-index.xml.bz2
users-2008
   http://paketler.pardus-linux.org/users-2008/pisi-index.xml.bz2
Is it OK, according to your lights Smiley ?

It should be OK, yes. But do note that I am not a developper (only a translator), so no warranty is given by "my lights" Wink

I ran into a system upgrade (kernel including, though non-lethal Smiley ). Upgrade doesn't happen on another VirtualBox installation, where the top repo is pardus-2008.2. I don't understand it and therefore don't quite like it. The lack of official policy, together with the highly unusual repo structure, isn't very nice.

What makes you think that the update failed ?
If you are troubled with the repositories, stick with the default setting.
I agree about the oddity of the content of this pardus-test-2008 repository.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 14:12:49 PM by PhiX » Logged

Llama
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2009, 14:55:07 PM »

What makes you think that the update failed ?
Nothing  Grin . Where did I complain about failure?
I agree about the oddity of the content of this pardus-test-2008 repository.
Yeah... My single complaint is about less than adequate guidelines.
dwightpaige79

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 07:21:42 AM »

OK. I tend to prefer package management from konsole. How can I get pisi to permanently ban upgrading a package until I decide otherwise? I know on a one shot deal it's:

Code:
pisi up -x firefox

But suppose that I'm sure for the foreseeable future I do not want to upgrade a given package,even by accident, how do I do that?

Also how can I force pisi from cli to ASK me before it starts upgrading packages one or several of which I do not wish to upgrade?

And is there a way to get pisi to issue more information of a given command like -v [verbose]? For example urpmi -av firefox? That would force urpmi [Mandriva] to both ask before installing and issue more information [if more information is available]. Same is possible with yum or zypper or rpm. I'm not saying these features don't exist in pisi I just haven't found them yet. And I have run pisi -h and looked at the wiki page. Hope I didn't just miss it...

Full disclosure: I'm used to and tend to prefer rpm distros. urpmi is Mandriva, yum is Fedora, and zypper is openSuSE.
trixon
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2010, 09:18:46 AM »

You can make your own blacklist file and call it by --exclude-from as stated in
Code:
pisi help it
pisi help up

Make an alias of pisi it/pisi up so you dont have to type --exclude-from FILE every time.

And is there a way to get pisi to issue more information of a given command like -v [verbose]
Yes, -v or --verbose. Read
Code:
pisi help

Good luck
dwightpaige79

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2010, 23:54:13 PM »

You can make your own blacklist file and call it by --exclude-from as stated in
Code:
pisi help it
pisi help up

Make an alias of pisi it/pisi up so you dont have to type --exclude-from FILE every time.

And is there a way to get pisi to issue more information of a given command like -v [verbose]
Yes, -v or --verbose. Read
Code:
pisi help

Good luck

Um, duh, Dwight was kinda stupid for a moment. Spent some more time today reading pisi --help and pisi help. Yes -v works just like it does with most, if not all, cli package managers. Again, duh.

To do what I currently want to do upgrade wise from cli in simplest/temporary way is  either:

Code:
# pisi -n up -x thunderbird

where -n= [--dry-run]  Do not perform any action, just show what would be done

Or if one wanted to download packages but not install right away:

Code:
# pisi -f up -x thunderbird

where -f= [--fetch-only] Fetch upgrades but do not install.

and in both cases -x= [--exclude] arg When upgrading system, ignore packages and components whose basenames match pattern.

Now just for a t and e exercise [training and education] I'm gonna create an exclude file and alias for pisi up and pisi it so I just use them normally.

Thanks trixon.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: