Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 15:46:16 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  What happened to console? and theme selection?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What happened to console? and theme selection?  (Read 1220 times)
rhomp2002

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2009, 19:08:26 PM »

Installed Pardus 2009 today and went looking for the console.  I found the bit where I select additional modules to add to the start menu and selected console.  I got a message that the single module was selected and added.  I cannot find any way to get to the console.  What I want to do is clean up the boot/grub/menu.lst.  It has links to old distros that I got rid of months ago.  All the ones I have out there now are there but there are about 20 extras that i would like to get rid of so that I can get a somewhat clean boot menu.  Can't find console anywhere.  I would also like to change the background theme as it is so dark that I can't read the entries.  I selected one when I was installing.  Now I would like to change but can't find anywhere to change the background theme.  I see all kinds of other selections for the display but not that one.

Other than that it is working well.  I am doing this because I want to try out the 2009 before I update to it when that option comes along.  I have a lot of goodies on the 2008 and I want to keep them.
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 20:25:32 PM »

As far as I remember ( I am not behind a Pardus machine right now) Console is under Terminal under System in the Kicker-menu.

Changing GRUB menu entries can be more easily done through the graphical usier interface system settings (formerly Tasma, now completely changed).

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 22:29:36 PM »

...... I cannot find any way to get to the console.
Terminal (Konsole) is available in Kickoff Application Launcher > Applications > System.
Or Alt+F2 and enter
konsole

Changing GRUB goto:
Kickoff Application Launcher > Computer > System Settings > Computer Administration > Boot Manager
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 23:09:12 PM »

That's what I meant atolboo, thank you

rhomp2002

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 06:24:50 AM »

Konsole was not under system - the alt-F2 worked to get me to konsole.

I will be changing the menu.lst for a year to clear out all the excess entries.  Would much prefer to use nano or kate to take care of it.  Much quicker and cleaner.  I have 6 distros on the disk and there are over 45 entries in the menu.lst with the new Pardus.  From what I can see I can only delete entries one at a time and then it goes back to the top of the list again  Then I have to scroll down to the next one I want to get rid of, delete it and then it goes back to the top of the list.

Figure it is just getting used to the new ways of doing things and maybe it will be better when I get it all straight.  Right now the older ways seem better from my point of view.
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 09:15:30 AM »

You might want to consider something like

Alt+F2
kdesu kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst

to edit the GRUB entries in a GUI textprocessor such as kwrite
having to edit multiple entries is faster in a textprocessor I agree

(personally I dislike textediting from within the Console, in the GUI it's much easier, but that is just my personal opinion)

Console is called Terminal in 2009 as atolboo stated, it is really in the Kickoff menu, then tab Applications and then choose System and you have to scroll down a bit to see Terminal (Console) passing by.

I must agree Console was easier to find in the Kickoff launcher menu in previous version, it is a bit hidden in 2009

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 09:34:40 AM »

I must agree Console was easier to find in the Kickoff launcher menu in previous version, it is a bit hidden in 2009
Huh?
To find Konsole in Kickoff Application Launcher have a look in the picture below

I would also like to change the background theme as it is so dark that I can't read the entries.  I selected one when I was installing.  Now I would like to change but can't find anywhere to change the background theme.
Rightclik on the Desktop and select Appearance Settings

* konsole3.png (87.94 KB, 862x512 - viewed 37 times.)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 09:39:08 AM by atolboo » Logged
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 09:53:44 AM »

atolboo I meant that as far as I remember in 2008 you didn't have to scroll down in the menu to find the Console launcher, it was on top of the menu (or hitting F4 in a folder also opened the Console right away in that folder), nevertheless once you know it it is still easy to use, but I still think having to scroll down to find the Terminal/Console is not very logic; I guess one does not want the mainstream users to use the Console too much ?

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 10:40:43 AM »

atolboo I meant that as far as I remember in 2008 you didn't have to scroll down in the menu to find the Console launcher
Try the Classic Menu Style or the Application Launcher Menu (Traditional menu base application launcher) Widget.
You can modify this menu with kmenuedit.
(or hitting F4 in a folder also opened the Console right away in that folder),
Open Dolphin and hit F4. Watch what happens next! Wink
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: