Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 00:13:01 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  Pardus 2009 with GNOME
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pardus 2009 with GNOME  (Read 7320 times)
mpie
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2009, 07:51:50 AM »

How to get gnome here

http://code.google.com/p/pardus-gnome-project/wiki/Kurulum2009

Standard disclaimer applies, probably not yet suitable for production systems.

change to gdm

http://code.google.com/p/pardus-gnome-project/source/browse/wiki/Kurulum2009.wiki

gdm theme here

http://github.com/gkmngrgn/gdm-pardus-theme/tree/master
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 18:01:49 PM by Michiel » Logged
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 08:50:04 AM »

How to get gnome here

Very nice that this project continues as well, having KDE, Gnome and XFCE available as desktop environments for Pardus Linux is a good thing IMO

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 14:10:45 PM »

How to get gnome here

Very nice that this project continues as well, having KDE, Gnome and XFCE available as desktop environments for Pardus Linux is a good thing IMO

Found another little english HOWTO on Pardus 2009 + GNOME here:

I think my the first post of my comment is disappeared.

There are 2 more desktop environments ?n Pardus 2009

*Xfce: You can install it from Package Manager (at contrib repo, Xfce Desktop)

*Gnome: From Pardus gnome project : http://code.google.com/p/pardus-gnome-project/

To install latest Gnome

First you should add two repos with these commands:
sudo pisi ar contrib-2009 http://packages.pardus.org.tr/contrib-2009/pisi-index.xml.bz2 -y

sudo pisi ar gnome http://pardus-gnome.prj.be/pisi-index.xml.bz2 -y
and then you need to update with:
sudo pisi up -y

to install gnome packages you should use:
sudo pisi it -c gnomeproject -y

installation completed. to be able to use it, you need to do some configuration:

first, open ‘/etc/conf.d/xdm’ in an text editor with admin privilages (i prefer to use mc as admin). you should change ‘#DISPLAY_MANAGER=”xdm”‘ to ‘DISPLAY_MANAGER=”gdm”‘, and save of course Smiley
and then, open ‘/etc/env.d/45kde4paths’ file like we did before(as admin) and change ‘XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/kde/4/share:/usr/share’ line to ‘#XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/kde/4/share:/usr/share’.
finally you are ready to go, just restart you system and gdm will start. with this, you can select which graphical environment to use.

http://ftp://ftp.pardus.org.tr/pub/pardus/kurulan/2009/
-If you’ve downloaded the International version of Pardus 2009, 11 Languages are supported

MacLone

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 17:18:28 PM »

Hi.
I'm having a couple od problems with Pardus 2009 Gnome.
Pissi appears normal as system login but it suddenly disappears and there is no way to make it work again till' i reboot.
The other proble is a big omission from the guys who packaged Gnome for Pardus: there is NO WAY to configure a printer because there is no configuration tool for it. Look at the menu and you'll se what i'm talking about.

Thanks.

Saludos!! / Hi!!
Mourningdove
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 04:41:11 AM »

I can confirm half of MacLone's last post. There is no printing configuration in Pardus GNOME, at least that I can find. However, Pisi is there, under System | Administration | Package Manager. Unlike its performance under KDE, though, it is very slow to load; and it appears as an icon in the panel, and you have to click that before it opens up.

I run Arch Linux on another computer, and Pardus GNOME is quite reminiscent of Arch GNOME, e.g. the two-step shutdown method (you can't shut down right from the GNOME panel; you have to log out and then run sudo shutdown -h now from the prompt; in Arch, I have to log out from the prompt and then log in as root, so this is at least a little more streamlined). Even the wallpaper seems to have come from the same place Arch got its default wallpaper.

It is nice that the GNOME menus aren't cluttered with KDE utilities.

and then, open ‘/etc/env.d/45kde4paths’ file like we did before(as admin) and change ‘XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/kde/4/share:/usr/share’ line to ‘#XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/kde/4/share:/usr/share’.
finally you are ready to go, just restart you system and gdm will start. with this, you can select which graphical environment to use.

Michiel, what does that commented-out line mean? Does that link X to KDE somehow?

On edit: I just saw in the XFCE thread that that line keeps the KDE utilities out of the GNOME menu.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 04:43:23 AM by Mourningdove » Logged
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 18:17:08 PM »

From tuxradar.com

Untangling Debian package dependencies
Posted at 10:30am on Tuesday September 8th 2009
Debian

The author of debtree, a program that illustrates dependencies between .deb packages, has posted a brief rant about the size of Gnome desktop installations in recent Debian releases. Specifically, he notes that a default Gnome install in Etch (4.0) was 1,360MB - but in the upcoming 6.0 release it'll be over 3,000MB.

Quote: "One of the main reasons I switched to Linux was because it gave me back control over my systems, but with KDE4 and pervasive stuff like hal and all the various "kits" Linux is on a fast track that's giving priority to flashiness over real functionality and eroding that control." He has also produced some graphs showing the vast dependency chain for HAL.

What do you think - is such complexity merely a by-product of an expanding and maturing OS? Or do we need to step back for a moment and simplify things before continuing the battle for the desktop?

=====================

When BOTH KDE4 and GNOME are directing to such HUGE environments I am very curious whetrher linux users will keep using one of these two mainstream environments or whether these giants rule themselves out and are substituted by more medium or lightweigyt alternatives like XFCE, Enlightment, IceWM, etcteraetctera

I guess there will be some sort of fork between different type of users, hardcore game players and videoeditors might prefer the big environments whilst daily task users (email, browsing, text editing) might take the less heavy weighted environments.

In the end it all comes down to what you want to use your PC (laptop, netbook) for, what is your purpose.

Que sera sera

Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 22:21:00 PM »

I am more looking forward to a reintroduction of LXDE in Pardus, in my opinion both KDE and GNOME are getting overweighted and too huge, I do not need a fully packed DE, I just want a nice, quick and light or mediumweight working place.

Apart from the overweighted DE also the linux kernel itself is getting bigger and bigger. Just these days Linus Torvalds stressed his concerns upon these developments.

The OS must not become too "fat".

I am interested where the crowd will move in the end (Windows, Mac/Apple, linux and then linux Gnome, KDE, XFCE or LXDE).

IMO the future is bright for the more simple less-demanding but fully functional environments 

caber
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 05:18:20 AM »

http://pardus-gnome.prj.be/ is down and has to be disabled for PISI to work. Is there an alternative gnome repo ?
henrikh3
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 11:12:07 AM »

Is it not better to just use Ubuntu 9.10 or Linux Mint 8 if anyone prefeer the Gnome dektop?
They are adapted for Gnome from the start and works great with it.
Pardus was developed with KDE desktop so I just not see the point  to run it with Gnome. Smiley

« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 11:25:33 AM by henrikh3 » Logged
caber
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 19:04:46 PM »

Yes, I run Gnome with Mint. For your information it also works just fine with Pardus as well. With all due respect Henrikh, I was asking for an answers on the repo.
henrikh3
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 20:26:48 PM »

Yes, I run Gnome with Mint. For your information it also works just fine with Pardus as well. With all due respect Henrikh, I was asking for an answers on the repo.

I understand. I have not tryed Pardus with Gnome myself.
But sounds interesting. Maybe in future you can choose between KDE or Gnome during the installation process like Mandriva?

« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 20:32:23 PM by henrikh3 » Logged
caber
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 20:37:40 PM »

I think so, but what I'd really like to see is E17 Smiley
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 23:13:45 PM »

Did you consider LXDE as well?

caber
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 23:33:41 PM »

I might try LXDE, but I'm a sucker for E17's eye candy. The fact that it looks so good and is still fast is really neat. I've also noticed that the Gnome repo has had no updates for sometime, and now it is off line. I'm just curious if we have lost the maintainer ?
ilanesh
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 12:50:19 PM »

impossible to add the gnome repo, : error: package not  found please update repo, repo is updated. Help.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: