Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 18:29:27 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  Pardus 2009 with XFCE
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pardus 2009 with XFCE  (Read 6148 times)
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2009, 14:18:26 PM »

And here someone who was busy with creating a Pardus 2009 XFCE theme:

http://www.vimeo.com/5567512

« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 18:05:51 PM by Michiel » Logged

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
BenimAdımKırmızı
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 22:19:36 PM »

*Xfce: You can install it from Package Manager (at contrib repo, Xfce Desktop)

installation completed. to be able to use it, you need to do some configuration:

first, open ‘/etc/conf.d/xdm’ in an text editor with admin privilages (i prefer to use mc as admin). you should change ‘#DISPLAY_MANAGER=”xdm”‘ to ‘DISPLAY_MANAGER=”gdm”‘, and save of course
and then, open ‘/etc/env.d/45kde4paths’ file like we did before(as admin) and change ‘XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/kde/4/share:/usr/share’ line to ‘#XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/kde/4/share:/usr/share’.
finally you are ready to go, just restart you system and gdm will start. with this, you can select which graphical environment to use.

well i got xfce started like michiel explained it like you can see here:  http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=2856.0

first, open ‘/etc/conf.d/xdm’ in an text editor with admin privilages (i prefer to use mc as admin). you should change
Code:
‘#DISPLAY_MANAGER=”xdm”‘ to ‘DISPLAY_MANAGER=”gdm”‘,
and save of course
this should make sure that xdm does not start but it did in my case so i added this step:

Code:
service kdebase stop

and then, open ‘/etc/env.d/45kde4paths’ file like we did before(as admin) and change ‘XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/kde/4/share:/usr/share’ line
Code:
to ‘#XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/kde/4/share:/usr/share’.

this makes just sure that no kde-app will apear in the xfce or gnome desktop...

Pardus now starts directly into xfce...
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 17:39:34 PM »

Is there anyone over here that has experience with the lightweight windowmanager IceWM?

I am considering to play around with it in combination with Pardus (once I have the time for that  Grin ), and I read very positive things on IceWM in several places on the web after Googling for it.

At first sight the default IceWM desktop looks ugly, but it is very theme-able and configurable, and is said to be really fast and nice little RAM and CPU consuming....(less than XFCE also)

Just like Pardus it deserves more attention being paid to by a broader audience, certainly laptop and netbook users.

azra
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 21:21:17 PM »

Michiel
If you want a good test of IceWM, give Puppy Linux a shot. I personally do not like it at all, I think it is VERY ugly, and much prefer LXDE. There are pupplets with LXDE, but otherwise, you can try SliTaz, a fantastic lightweight distro with LXDE.
Somehow the repos for LXDE were taken offline, a great shame...
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 08:28:48 AM »

azra that is just what I already mentioned, one should not be distracted from the first look (very ugly default theme indeed) in order to judge IceWM at its merits and advantages.
It is just the first look that makes people put IceWM aside almost immediately, but the point is that IceWM still is quite often suggested in forums and other websites because of its really low RAM/CPU usage, speed AND high level of customisation possibilities.

That is the reason that I do not turn my back to this window manager right away and are willing tot take a closer look at it.

and of course all KDE or GNOME applications can be run  under this or other window managers, actually it is not that logical that the majority fo us stick to very full packaged KDE or GNOME and there are even lotys of people who install their distro with KDE or GNOME and then put IceWM over it as desktop environment, all is present but speed geos up.

Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 10:22:21 AM »

Oxygen theme instead of in KDE4 seen in IceWM
http://www.box-look.org/content/preview.php?preview=1&id=87523&file1=87523-1.jpg&file2=&file3=&name=Oxygen

« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 10:30:01 AM by Michiel » Logged

Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 10:34:15 AM »

And an IceWM KDE4 Theme  Cheesy...

Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 11:44:06 AM »

*Xfce: You can install it from Package Manager (at contrib repo, Xfce Desktop)

installation completed. to be able to use it, you need to do some configuration:

first, open ‘/etc/conf.d/xdm’ in an text editor with admin privilages (i prefer to use mc as admin). you should change ‘#DISPLAY_MANAGER=”xdm”‘ to ‘DISPLAY_MANAGER=”gdm”‘, and save of course
and then, open ‘/etc/env.d/45kde4paths’ file like we did before(as admin) and change ‘XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/kde/4/share:/usr/share’ line to ‘#XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/kde/4/share:/usr/share’.
finally you are ready to go, just restart you system and gdm will start. with this, you can select which graphical environment to use.

well i got xfce started like michiel explained it like you can see here:  http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=2856.0

first, open ‘/etc/conf.d/xdm’ in an text editor with admin privilages (i prefer to use mc as admin). you should change
Code:
‘#DISPLAY_MANAGER=”xdm”‘ to ‘DISPLAY_MANAGER=”gdm”‘,
and save of course
this should make sure that xdm does not start but it did in my case so i added this step:

Code:
service kdebase stop

and then, open ‘/etc/env.d/45kde4paths’ file like we did before(as admin) and change ‘XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/kde/4/share:/usr/share’ line
Code:
to ‘#XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/kde/4/share:/usr/share’.

this makes just sure that no kde-app will apear in the xfce or gnome desktop...

Pardus now starts directly into xfce...

Testing Pardus XFCE and Pardus GNOME for a while now, just out of curiosity and to see whether it really influences my laptop performance in a positive way, thanks for your feedback here, I used your info and the Pardus wiki (XFCE page).
I did not do the 
Code:
service kdebase stop
step, I did not notice that caused problems and also this step was not present in the wiki text, is it really necessary you think, and could you specify a bit mroe where you put that code? In the edited file or just as command in the Konsole, and if so, does that not cause you to get caught in command line interface?

mpie
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 13:19:59 PM »

all that does is stop kde desktop services, I personally skip that and the XDG alteration, as I may decide to use a kde app, I just switch to gdm as I as I it a better login manager. On a modernish (ie  machine there is no real benefit, but would be wise on lower resources.

Re Icewm, that can also start gnome/kdebased services at start upto like xfce.
I think the way to go with icewm would be base it on xfce and start the same services, and create a nice Pardus based theme
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 13:44:09 PM »

I think the way to go with icewm would be base it on xfce and start the same services, and create a nice Pardus based theme

I am not sure whether I am still in need of IceWM now that XFCE behaves nicer and better than I had expected, but just in case, could you specify a bit mroe the way to go in case I would want to integrate IceWM and Pardus?

mpie
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 16:23:15 PM »

default configuration is usually in /etc/skel/icemw copied to .icewm on startup

examples in /usr/share/icemw

with xfce it loads a basic gnome-session to supply certain services, hence the dependency

quick and dirty howtos

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=812627

http://antix.freeforums.org/icewm-t696.html

Some nice examples of many wm's their integrated work is excellent
http://forums.wolvix.org/index.php/board,46.0.html

Grin
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 19:00:10 PM by mpie » Logged
MacLone

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 16:54:38 PM »

Hi.
Right now i'm testing Pardus 2009 with Gnome and XFCE.
I'm having trouble making SONGBIRD do its job, it does not open because a Gstreamer fault.
Because there is no Songbird PiSi i'm using the decompressed binary in my home folder and i got this error:

(songbird-bin:1697): GStreamer-WARNING **: Failed to load plugin '/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libresindvd.so': /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libresindvd.so: undefined symbol: gst_navigation_event_parse_command
/home/maclone/Aplicaciones/Songbird/./songbird-bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/gst-0.10/gst/_gst.so: undefined symbol: gst_xml_get_type
Could not initialize GStreamer: Error re-scanning registry , child terminated by signal.

Actually it works on KDE4 and Gnome but not XFCE.
Do you know a way to fix this?
Thanks.

Saludos!! / Hi!!
azra
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 18:52:43 PM »

Maclone
The pisi package for Songbird Pardus 2008 works in 2009.
Check it out on http://paketler.pardus-linux.org/users-2008/
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 13:56:03 PM »

Also have a look [here]. Smiley
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: