Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 04:40:03 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  [Solved] New kernel- can't start x
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Solved] New kernel- can't start x  (Read 6458 times)
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2009, 22:30:31 PM »

I solved my problem with virtualbox.
To do so, I uninstalled virtualbox kernel module.

I also solved my pardus problem with my real install.
After upgrading the kernel I restart with the old one and selected the nvidia-current driver in display properties.

Then it's all ok with new kernel.

Thank you

very well, thanks for sharing this !

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
dpeirce

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2009, 23:05:50 PM »

I have Pardus 2009 installed also in Virtualbox (2.2.4) and, after updating today, my login screen is trashed. It looked very much like FoxXav's picture.

He said he solved it by "unstalling the virtualbox kernel module". I didn't understand: In Pisi, under 'Installed', I have three: 'module-virtualbox-guest', 'module-virtualbox-guest-userspace', and 'virtualbox-guest-utils'. Which of these do I uninstall?

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 00:15:56 AM by dpeirce » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2009, 01:49:25 AM »

Hi dpeirce,

Hopefully, you'll get  a direct answer from foxxav, but I would think it is module-virtualbox-guest, which is the kernel module, and this will automatically select virtualbox-guest-utils as it depends on this and remove it, too.

dpeirce

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2009, 02:33:41 AM »

Thanks, Lisa, but no go. In frustration I deleted everything Virtualbox, and still get only the black screen.

Maybe I'll try Pardus again later. Have a good time over there in Arkansas!

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2009, 08:45:28 AM »

I have Pardus 2009 installed also in Virtualbox (2.2.4)
........ In frustration I deleted everything Virtualbox, and still get only the black screen.
I don't understand this.
Do you have P2009 installed on your hard disk and inside P2009 (Host OS)  Virtualbox is installed?
Or do you have P2009 installed inside a Virtualbox as a Guest OS?
dpeirce

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2009, 09:35:05 AM »

I have Pardus installed inside Virtualbox. Virtualbox is installed in Antix-M8.2. So the host is Antix and the guest is Pardus.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2009, 10:08:59 AM »

I have Pardus installed inside Virtualbox. Virtualbox is installed in Antix-M8.2. So the host is Antix and the guest is Pardus.
I in Virtualbox (2.2.4)
This is a very old version of Virtualbox. At this moment there is Virtualbox 3.0.6
May the problem is caused by the old version Virtualbox?
FoxXav

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2009, 11:54:03 AM »

Hi atolboo !

I'm using the latest version of virtualbox the 3.0.6
And I've uninstall the 3 modules associated to virtualbox with pisi.
=>'module-virtualbox-guest', 'module-virtualbox-guest-userspace', and 'virtualbox-guest-utils'

Hope it will help you :-)

See you.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2009, 13:33:36 PM »

And I've uninstall the 3 modules associated to virtualbox with pisi.
=>'module-virtualbox-guest', 'module-virtualbox-guest-userspace', and 'virtualbox-guest-utils'
I don't think this is good idea.
In order to make these pictures I have P2009+all updates installed in VB 3.0.6.
And when I remove the above modules I get some unwanted effects, like:
To unlock mousepointer I have to use 'Right Ctrl'.
Resolution is going from 1280X1024 -> 800x600.
(most important) Automatic login is disabled.
And the last one isn't coming back after installing the modules again. Don't know yet why?
For the rest I don't have any problems with P2009(+all updates) inside VB 3.0.6.
Maybe the problem is caused with Antix-M8.2 <-> VB 3.0.6.
Can I download this Antix-M8.2 somewhere (in order to test this)?

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2009, 17:21:50 PM »

Hi

I just checked my package manager and it shows that the installed version of module-Virtualbox-guest is version 3.0.2 and there is an update to version 3.0.4.

I don't use virtualbox and get the blank screen, blinking cursor whenever I update to kernel 2.6.30.5-126, and so avoid it and any other  update that tries to pull it in. Of course,   I could install this kernel update and avoid any xsession problems by not booting into it, as it is added to my grub menu. 
We are all hoping this problem is resolved in the future. 
Edited to add, I just checked Fedora forums and Pardus is not alone with this kernel related  problem. 
Lisa Marie

« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 18:14:07 PM by Lisa » Logged
dpeirce

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2009, 15:42:27 PM »

Thank y'all for your help. I tried deleting all virtualbox from Pardus and then installing the Guest Additions that I already have, but it didn't work. I reinstalled but, after the first update I'm back to the black screen. Seems like it just doesn't like me. Maybe it was the kernel update. I'll try Pardus again later on; maybe things will have settled down by then.

I hadn't felt the need yet to update my Virtualbox from 2.2.4 to 3.0.6 as 2.2.4 does everything I need ("If it ain't broke, don't fix it").

Thanks anyway.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas

Windows users: If they sniff coke, they get ice up their noses.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2009, 00:56:57 AM »

........ get the blank screen, blinking cursor whenever I update to kernel 2.6.30.5-126, ........
I think you can solve your problem by installing the appropriate nvidia driver.  Wink
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2009, 02:40:20 AM »

Ha!  True, atolboo.  That is what Faith of Pardus team suggested I do, but I am stubborn and don't want to install, how is it called at some sites, The nVidia Blob?  Grin  I'm patient, and as mentioned here, looks like a fix is coming soon.  I look forward to trying it.  And, as I mentioned, I can log in by adding/appending "nouveau.modeset=1" to kernel boot menu if I really want to successfully log into the latest kernel, which I am doing now, so when the fix comes, I can see how it works with the 5-126 kernel.  Right now, with the appended line, I can get to a graphical log in screen, but there is some messy graphics output prior to this .  I hope this gets fixed with the fix.   Wink

Lisa Marie

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2009, 03:22:31 AM »

As usual, I forgot to mention something.  Cheesy

I guess I should also mention my  stubborness is a result of a not good experience when I tried installing nVidia closed drivers when using Pardus 2008.

I don't know why I marked this thread as solved, nvidia problem as I never was able to figure out what I was doing wrong, and settled for the default nv video module, which pleased me as I don't use 3D games or, as my husband does, use CAD type software for engineering (solidworks).    Wink  Again, I can be patient for this to be solved.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: