Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 10:43:25 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Introduce yourself
| | |-+  Greetings from another American
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Greetings from another American  (Read 1833 times)
caitlyn
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2009, 07:12:19 AM »

My name is Caitlyn and I live near Raleigh, North Carolina, in the United States.  I was introduced to Linux in 1995 and have used it as my primary OS since 1998.  I also work with Linux/UNIX professionally.

Perhaps my most controversial role is writing about Linux.  I am currently the regular feature writer for DistroWatch Weekly.  I reviewed Pardus 2009 (yes, a largely favorable review) for Monday's issue.  I also write for O'Reilly Media and for my own blog.

I am new to Pardus (just since 2009 was released) and I am impressed with it for the most part so far.  It certainly has the nicest KDE 4 implementation I've found yet.  It is also the first distro that fully supported absolutely everything in my Sylvania g Netbook Meso (a/k/a Amtek Elego outside the U.S.) right out of the virtual box.  Very nice!

I also have a circa 2002 Toshbia Satellite 1805-S204.  Pardus did not correctly configure the Toshiba CyberBlade XPi graphics card (yes, I need to file a bug report) but I was able to make the needed additions to my xorg.conf file to get that working correctly.  It was also slow running KDE 4 but is much better running Xfce 4.6.1 from the contrib repo.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with Pardus so far so you may be stuck with me  Grin
bubbel
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 08:45:21 AM »

Hello caitlyn,

welcome here in the forum. Smiley

Greetings
bubbel

P.S.: Great article from you about Pardus 2009 by Distrowatch. Thanks  Wink
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 17:16:13 PM by bubbel » Logged
LinuxFanatic
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 23:45:03 PM »

Hi Caitlyn,

many thanks for your excellent article about Pardus 2009:
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090810#feature

We translated this article into German - you can find it in our PardusUser.de portal:
http://forum.pardususer.de/index.php?topic=890.msg8050#msg8050

Have a nice time Smiley

Regards,
Gürkan

German Pardus Linux Communtiy --> www.PardusUser.de
caitlyn
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 02:08:17 AM »

Thanks for the kind words, Gürkan.  I'm also very pleased that you took the time to translate it.  So long as it's done accurately I do love to see my work translated into various languages.
mdiegi
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 08:10:43 AM »

Hi caitlyn,
I have read the translated article on pardususer.de too, very good work  Grin

take care

mdiegi
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: