Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 04:49:42 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  how to preserve time attribute on move/copy to NTFS partition
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: how to preserve time attribute on move/copy to NTFS partition  (Read 877 times)
zsurnz

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2009, 11:29:06 AM »

Hello,
I just installed Pardus on the new computer of my wife, because she cannot stand Vista and XP refuses to install from the CR-Rom provided with her previous computer. She appears to be satisfied with the functionality provided by Pardus. However there is one big problem. I prepared a NTFS partition on the hard disk to put her data, presently saved on an external USB disk formatted with VFAT filesystem. I tried two copy the files either using Dolphin, or the 'cp' command with the '-a' option to preserve all file attributes, or via a tar file extracted on the NTFS partition.
In all cases, I get an error msg stating that it is not allowed to preserve the date attribute on copying a file to the NTFS partition.
Is there a method to preserve the right time stamps ?
BTW, I formatted the data partition as NTFS in case my wife would eventually return to XP. Is it a good idea or would it be better to format this partition as VFAT ?
Thank you for your help and advice. Best regards
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 13:59:43 PM »

My suggestion: Give it a try with VFAT.
To solve this problem with NTFS, you must have exact knowledge of the possibilities of the ntfs_3g driver (used by Linux).
And I don't have this knowledge. Sad
waf
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 17:47:18 PM »

zsurnz,

Maybe, you will find a satisfactory answer in this forum

http://www.unix.com/

If I'm not wrong, vfat allows files not bigger than 4 GB. Don't forget it.

http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=2694.0
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: