Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 00:18:18 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Installing Pardus
| | |-+  Can't login - kde will not start (solved)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can't login - kde will not start (solved)  (Read 2299 times)
rhomp2002

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2009, 07:47:38 AM »

Just installed Pardus 2009 with the grub entry on the boot partition rather than the MBR.  I have a bunch of other distros installed and I just want to add Pardus 2009 to the existing MBR rather than start grub from scratch.

I copied the grub entry from the /boot/grub/menu.lst of the Pardus 2009 partition to the MBR and when I rebooted I was able to bring up the Pardus login screen.  When I login I get a message:

Your saved session type "kde 3.5" is not valid any more.  Please select a new one, otherwise "default" will    used.

I filled in the login and password fields and it starts to load.  I get the disk, the tools and the globe picture showing and then it hangs.  If I hit enter I get a message:

The following installation problem was detected while trying to start kde.  No write access to
    /home/dick/.ICEauthority.  KDE is unable to start.

I installed the grub record in the Pardus partition.  I have a few other distros out there and I just want to add Pardus to the MBR that is already there.  I tried once before to install Pardus in the MBR and I ended up with 37 entries in the MBR of which only 10 were valid.  The rest were distros that I tried and discarded a long time ago.  I copied the grub record from the Pardus /boot/grub/menu.lst to the current MBR in the distro that is the root distro currently.  I added savedefault and boot to the entry I copied to the existing MBR and installed the grub record.

I went back and took out the savedefault and boot and still got the same messages.  I also reinstalled Pardus, this time to the MBR , and got the same messages again.  I checked the md5 and it matched.  I also have the input media checked before I installed and it came out fine - no problems there.  I am now wondering what the saved default KDE 3.5 could be that is causing the problem.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 23:31:41 PM by rhomp2002 » Logged
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 11:46:33 AM »

Does the following command say you (that is user "dick") own the file ?
Code:
ls -la /home/dick/.ICEauthority

If not, you can regain it with this command, as root :
Code:
chown dick /home/dick/.ICEauthority

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
rhomp2002

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 17:35:31 PM »

That got me logged in and I am on KDE now.  However, everything seems to have an owner of root, not me, the user.  I can run Firefox but I have to do it from the terminal as root.  I checked the owner and it is root for the owner and root for the group.  All the icons in the Desktop Folder are question marks so I assume they also are owned by root.  The funny thing is that there is an icon to donate to Sabayon 4 and an icon for Spritz Package which is the GUI version of Sabayon's package manager.  How can I get the ownership of these desktop packages set to the user, dick, rather than root?
mpie
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 19:51:34 PM »

as root

Code:
chown dick /home/dick/*

then

chown dick /home/dick/.*
you should now bee the owner of all files
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 20:01:01 PM »

That's probably because you started KDE as root.
When you are logged in as root, type Ctrl-D to exit and return to "dick" or type : su dick. And start KDE as "dick".

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
rhomp2002

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 23:31:20 PM »

I think I may have clicked something wrong when I installed.  I re-installed yet again and this time it worked.  I still got that same message the first time I logged back in after the re-install about the default kde-3.5 session but that finally went away.  I was able to get myself onto Firefox this time.  Not sure but it may have been that the first times I never ticked the superadministrator block.

I did this before I got the other postings about chown which would have saved me reinstalling, I guess.

Thanks for the help.  Much appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 23:33:26 PM by rhomp2002 » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: