Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 02:48:12 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  News & Announcements
| | |-+  Wow! Web-based Pardusman evolving
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wow! Web-based Pardusman evolving  (Read 2740 times)
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2009, 12:43:05 PM »

Coincidentally upon Googling I fouhd this...in one word WOW  Grin

Progress with Pardusman on Web

More screenshots in the first URL posted.

"(...)I have significant coding progress with Pardusman, the custom distro building application which I am involved with coding. web-pardusman comes with a wizard interface, where user can customise each and every thing using the wizard steps. Now, the web-pardusman can build custom distro images with following specifications given by the user.

* Live or Install image
    * Custom distro name
    * Hostname
    * Default username
    * root password, user password
    * Default language, other languages to be bundled
    * Default wallpaper
    * Release file in the CDRom root
    * User home directory contents
    * Custom Packages, with component and induvidual packages listing
    * Image type: ISO, and other virtualization images

Currently I have completed upto building ISO images. Support for virtualization images are in the TODO list."

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 12:46:30 PM by Michiel » Logged

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 13:58:24 PM »

That's good news. Thanks Michiel.

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 14:24:48 PM »

The idea that I also really like is that Pardus is a growing (developers) community, whereas some other quite nice distributions (let's say PClinuxOS) apparently have a very small number of maintainers and sometimes fall asleep or just wait for the other distro' s to build something which then can be copied and integrated in these " follower" distro' s.

First Pardus was built more or less as a new linux OS from scratch, including a package managment system that also already interested e.g. Kubuntu people before.
Then Pardus evolved and developed further from 2008 to 2009 and now quite generally is considered one of the best and most stable and usable KDE4 distributions at this moment.
That is quite some effort put in.
Now this initiative to build a web-based (!!!) custom iso builder is really breaking news for such a "young" distribution, impressive!

The nice thing is that it has a sort of spin-off the more enthusiasm the more people who are getting involved and enthusaist as well.

Pardus is booming, nad that without (excessive) marketing but pure on quality.

Just great.

Now just pass the (turkish) language barrier a bit more and we have ignition and lift off..... Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 14:28:03 PM by Michiel » Logged

Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 18:35:55 PM »

Serious progress on this apparently according to the developers blog:

I have successfully completed my Google Summer of Code 2009?
programs with Pardus project. The Pardusman is now ready to build
custom pardus distros through web. Some of the work remaining is to?
setup the server configuration files at pardus server. I will be looking forward
to setup it in a couple of weeks. Once it is setup, it would be able to build
distros through the web interface at http://pardusman.pardus.org.tr
Source: http://www.sarathlakshman.info/2009/09/09/success-with-summer-of-code-2009/

Unlike last month indeed  http://pardusman.pardus.org.tr no longer shows a white page but the Pardusman login interface! I am not fully sure if everything is set to build your custom iso images yet, but you might have a try?

* Pardusman.png (140.51 KB, 1280x800 - viewed 139 times.)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 18:40:10 PM by Michiel » Logged

Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 23:06:38 PM »

I have posted a bug report to ask for the current status of the web-based Pardusman project, because for the last two months it seems like the project is on-hold and nothing has happened, i.e. as far as a non-insider like me is aware of.

Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 21:31:35 PM »

It's such a pity that this nice project never got activated and remained a front-end on a website only.

I have the feeling there are "political" arguments in not launching it, I mean perhaps the Pardus developers do not like the idea of spreading all sorts of customised "wild type" Pardus ISOs being burned from that Pardusman website, because it can cost you a good name when systems with "a-part-of-Pardus-only" get buggy

hoever the official explanation comes from the guy that created Pardusman as a GSoC project alst year:

"I have been trying to make it up and had several talks with pardus devels. Due to server capacity limitations. It is still on hold"

"At least I have to find a sponsor with ad-revenue model to make the build server up."

"pardusman still running local on my machine and as local LAN service at my hostel. I will post a video which I forgot to do"

The good news is that the same guy is involved in a new GSoC project: he will be working on the implementaion of a LIVE CD install fucntion which was still lacking in the Pardus LIVE ISOs

"I will be devloping Live installer for pardus. Along with that I will be developing a utility that creats live cd from current installation."

"My third time with gsoc #gsoc"

You can follow him on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/t3rm1n4l
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 21:34:26 PM by Michiel » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: