Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 00:14:04 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  X won't start after latest updates. [solved]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: X won't start after latest updates. [solved]  (Read 4808 times)
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 08:58:46 AM »

Additional info about my video card
atolboo@atolboo-pardus ~ $ lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV44A [GeForce 6200] (rev a1)
atolboo@atolboo-pardus ~ $
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 03:43:53 AM »

I just had to sing the praises of Pardus 2009 using Nouveau graphics driver in the default kernel (for me, it is 2.6.30.1-123 ).  I know there's problems with the latest kernel 2.6.30.5-126, but I am now avoiding that kernel update for now until Team Pardus fixes the no x start.  For now, the boot up is smooth and not one flicker, even during the bootsplash screen.  I had to say this because I just booted into another distro using nv graphics driver and what a letdown.  With P09, my screen output is so clear and easy on the eyes - like a Mac OS screen.   Smiley

My xorg.conf  file looks like this:

Code:
Section "ServerFlags"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "card0"
    Driver  "nouveau"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Screen"
    Device  "card0"
    DefaultDepth    24
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier  "Layout"
    Screen  "Screen"
EndSection
Cheers, Lisa Marie
frito
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 06:12:45 AM »

What is nouveau? Am I missing out on something? I have a Geforce 7600 and I am using the closed drivers. Can I use this awesome thing?

Side note: With the card I have is there any advantage to using the closed drivers? You can not answer this if its too off topic ill post it elsewhere.
bubbel
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 06:31:20 AM »

What is nouveau?

Please have a look in the Wiki  Wink
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 11:41:55 AM »

Side note: With the card I have is there any advantage to using the closed drivers?
Additional information.
My experience with
I have a MSI NX6200AX-TD256H video card.
When I don't use the closed (nvidia-current) driver there is no 3D support.
And as a result of this I don't get many visual effects of KDE4 (f.i. transparent taskbar etc..)
And Google Earth is very slow.
And automatic login doesn't work.
And when I use the nouveau, X won't start with the 2.6.30.5-126 kernel.
In short: I have some serious problems when using the "nv" or "nouveau" driver with KDE4.
And this may be different with other types of Nvidia cards.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 17:52:36 PM »

Hi frito,
It's important to me to use open-source drivers as much as possible, so this is reason I don't use the closed drivers.  Nouveau is fairly new,  Cheesy as it only came out about two years ago, so there is much work to be done for this video project, especially if 3D is ever to be implemented.

I should add that my desktop looks great using the nv driver as well, as it was when I first tried Pardus 2008, I was thrilled with how clear and excellent my screen graphics looked, so this is also praise for the Pardus team in how they have achieved this.  I recently tried linux Mint gnome, version  6 for 64 bits, and it uses the default nv video module, and the output flickered at login splash, and the over all look of my screen wasn't that great, especially if I tried to look at a text file, I could see faded areas or vertical bands.  It seemed the only way to get it to look nice was to force it at 75 mz instead of the usual 60 mz.  Trying to install the proprietary drivers was a pain and a failure, so I gave up. 
Lisa Marie
Edited to add: Weee, I can use some desktop effects without 3D support.  I guess it is because the module supports rendering.  System settings>desktop>enable desktop effects> I unticked many of the effects default ticked under All Effects to make sure I didn't over do the x server. I left Fade, Logout, Login, Taskbarthumbnails, Dialog Parent, Dim screen for administrator mode, Boxswitch, Desktop grid, Present Windows ticked.  For these to work I had to change Advanced>Compositing Style> Xrender. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 19:37:29 PM by Lisa » Logged
frito
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 18:55:51 PM »

Is there any sort of a timeline on this bug being removed from Pardus? I just deleted the entry for that kernal in my grub as a solution  Tongue
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 20:43:13 PM »

I just deleted the entry for that kernal in my grub as a solution  Tongue
and
I have a Geforce 7600 and I am using the closed drivers.
This means you are not using the nouveau driver and therefore there is no need to delete the entry in Grub.
Or do I miss something? Huh?
frito
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009, 02:13:37 AM »

This means you are not using the nouveau driver and therefore there is no need to delete the entry in Grub.

Crud wrong post but with the closed Nvidea drivers i also get the blinking cursor at start-up. http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=2888.0 Thread

So Im just avoiding this kernel until its fixed.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 02:18:51 AM by frito » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2009, 11:46:34 AM »

...... but with the closed Nvidea drivers i also get the blinking cursor at start-up.
Which driver(s) are installed?
To find out give the following command in a Konsole
Code:
pisi li | grep nvidia
and copy/paste in this topic.
frito
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2009, 00:36:50 AM »

This is the closed driver which works with AGP cards
Code:
module-nvidia173                  - Kernel module for NVIDIA driver 173.14.xx releases
module-nvidia173-userspace        - Userspace documentation, tools, udev and modprobe rules for the kernel driver nvidia173
xorg-video-nvidia173              - NVIDIA drivers for GeForce 5 series GPUs
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2009, 09:06:27 AM »

I have a Geforce 7600 and I am using the closed drivers.
xorg-video-nvidia173              - NVIDIA drivers for GeForce 5 series GPUs
I think this is the wrong driver.
Is this driver advised by System Settings > Display Manager?
If yes, its probably a bug in Display Manager and needs a bug report.
For the 6200 the nvidia-current is needed.
And the 6200 is in the same class as the 7600 according to this list for P2007.

I don't think this has anything to do with the type of interface (AGP, PCI, PCIE or ....)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2009, 19:48:04 PM »

Hi all,

I found this recent bug.  Demiray has the same iso default kernel that I have (2.6.30.1-123) and updated to kernel 2.5.30.5-126 and has some of the same message errors I have when using nouvea video module and failed x session, though Demiray is using more than one monitor. 
Faith mentions there is a test update coming soon.
 Hey, Demiray has the same Asus board I have as well.  Smiley

translated bug report
frito
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2009, 23:29:12 PM »

I don't think this has anything to do with the type of interface (AGP, PCI, PCIE or ....)
[/quote]

Well for windows, you have to use the 173 drivers from NVidia. The 173 is the last driver that supported AGP cards, according to NVidia.
frito
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2009, 03:10:29 AM »

Hi all,

I found this recent bug. 

I wish i knew how to submit bugs, but when things crash it tells me that something isnt setup right and i get confused and give up.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: