Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 20:25:37 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  The Pub
| | |-+  free to install software
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: free to install software  (Read 1276 times)
owiknowi
« on: October 20, 2011, 17:41:21 PM »

maybe some of you are, like me, interested in this too: http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/secure-boot-vs-restricted-boot/statement
bg1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 19:53:10 PM »

thank's for the link  Wink

cordially @+
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 02:06:15 AM »

Then , gentlemen , you may find this of interest..........http://www.linuxtoday.com/it_management/2011102900341NWDT
owiknowi
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 10:12:12 AM »

@anglophony,

yes, yes i do. so thanks for the link.

btw. i always wondered why mikrosovt doesn't quit all the hassle and do as apple did: ship their os with their own computer brand?
that way they can make up any eula and 'user care' they want, without all them nasty penguins bargeing in all the time.
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 10:59:02 AM »

They were never good at  making and selling hardware, the few times they tried , they took a loss .
Micorsoft never worked doing software engineering until Windows 3.1, they always made the best money thru "Robber Baron Marketing ".
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 14:57:26 PM »

This is interesting to me as I am still trying to understand what it implies.  This is what started me thinking.  At first I thought, "bad Microsoft, shame on you".  But then I thought, if I was a sole Windows user, for security purposes, I would like to know that someone couldn't sneak into my house, stick in a bootable flash with Linux and look at my operating system.  You know, like is shown in the movies.   Wink  So this was a good idea to me, if I was a sole Windows user.  But I'm not. 

I then thought, "Oh, Microsoft is just doing like Macintosh, with their unique BIOS Boot utility that is still a mystery to me, as I never see it on my iMac.  Then someone came our with rEFIT and now one can put Linux on a Mac, and without rEFiT, one can still start a live bootable Linux from a Mac, though not so easy to view the Mac operating system from it unless you are root. 

And at this minute, a disc comes to my house from husband with rc version of Windows 8 to see what it is like.  The only reason I am doing this is because of a certain problem I am having with XP for 32 bits, and this was my only way to try a newer version of Windows without buying it or buying another computer.  My husband was very reluctanct to do this saying, "Windows never gives anything away for free", until I showed him the link.  It will probably be in such an unfinished state as to make it unusable for me, so he will be right about "nothing free".  I'm going to try using wintoflash to see if I can test it out on an 8GB stick.  Learn your enemy, so to speak.   

After what owiknowi wrote, I am understanding this more.  Maybe "Nothing Free" should be Microsoft's motto.  Gotta keep the dynasty going somehow.
Lisa Marie
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 15:59:32 PM »

My thoughts is that this is only another layer of security, which is a process , NOT a cure.There are other o/s's involved other than microsoft ,if only legacy o/s's, so that will need to be addressed as well.

Off the top of my head , the thought I have is that if they can get access to your computer , then they own it, period.
For example , they could re-flash the bios , with some sort of hacked bios, , or they could simply image your hard drive , and take all the time they need elsewhere ( a Ipod  perhaps, or maybe a iphone sending the image to a remote storage ). And I am sure that Win#8 will be hacked soon enough that will run on anyones computer ( hardware architecture permitting ).

Governments will love it, control freaks will love it,but anyone  ELSE who is using using a computer will be tempted to leave it running full time, ,,, imagine this scene ,,,,,,,,the approved  o/s boot , then the supervisor boot password ,  the operators password, then maybe a disk encryption password , and file encryption password.
Most security failures are through someones laziness, or through theft.

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 16:18:35 PM »

True.  And you know, I forgot the biggest eyes looking at my computer if I use Windows while connected to the internet....yep, Windows. 
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 16:33:55 PM »

@lisa  Grin
owiknowi
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 08:42:41 AM »

most of the time hackers aren't all that interested what 'normal users' have stored on their computers; it's what they do with it -like banking and such- or taking over your computer and let it serve their illegal purposes.

imho the new bios thingy isn't targeted at safety at all. one should rather make a safe(r) os and accept that most users will not want to learn a lot about it.
how many people actual want to know how their car works? or their router for that matter (i could make use of several password free routers in my neighbourhood...)?

btw. data, processable or already computed into information, should never be stored on a (local)computer. store them on a server or removable device. and local storage of passwords for one's convenience? right... Roll Eyes

just my two bits. now going down.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 22:41:32 PM »

imho the new bios thingy isn't targeted at safety at all.
True.  MS is marketing it under the impression that it is a safety feature. 

Good tips.  I have a removeable device I finally started putting my personal stuff on, but really nothing important there.  Now I need to learn how to encrypt it or make it password-only mountable or viewable. Right now it can be seen from any operating system I use it on whether one be user or administrator, even though under Linux the permissions say user=root and group=root.  I'll have to dig into this as it somewhat confuses me. 
Thanks for the 2 pennies, owiknowi.  That copper in them is worth a lot.  Cheesy 
Lisa Marie
owiknowi
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 09:39:57 AM »

hi lisa marie,
encryption of external storage. that's a good idea! maybe you could open a new thread e.g. here on this matter?
my guess is there's already a lot of knowledge here on the forum on that too, just collect it in an understandable way (i like to use it too...)  Grin

and in stead of everyone just throwing in a lot of links, no offense, it could be started in a simple way?
something like:
1. install x-package and...
2. or from file manager do this and that...
3. or right click on the external storage device icon and...
4. or go to users, and... (because encryption is not always the best solution)

let me start with how it probably not should start:
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Disk_encryption

or: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EncryptedFilesystemsOnRemovableStorage

or: http://www.pctools.com/security-news/encrypt-external-storage/

although very informative, and following all the links in it, i'm probably doing what our dogs would do: 
Anglo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 13:51:29 PM »

I would second that motion ,
anglophony
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 22:54:43 PM »

Yes, good idea.  While writing that bottom bit, I realised I was going on another topic and would be nice to have it on its own thread.  Typical me.  I'm tired as that doggy on its dog house, too.  Will start that thread soon enough though.  and agreed, I will try to avoid links.  I really don't like to link, 'cause that uses server power: electricity, fossil fuels, money, etc, when a how-to and discussion can be had right here.  I link when I'm in a hurry and lazy, but do like to give credit where credit is due, and sometimes will just add who wrote it and at what forum or replace the url address with the word "dot" instead of "." so people can go to it easily enough by replacing the word for the symbol for the other. 
Lisa Marie
owiknowi
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 07:22:54 AM »

@lisa marie
sorry. my bad: didn't mean to point at you for using links, that's often just fine and helps a lot.
it was more in general for this topic since encryption and security are sometimes rather difficult and can ruin data as well.

so my thought was that contributions should not only consist of links but are a bit of a how to, doesn't matter how small.
e.g. i like introductions like: first step, next step and so on, like a wobbling penguin: it goes ahead, but slowly... 

so, sorry for the confusion (although i'm rather good at that! Roll Eyes )
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: