Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 08:10:57 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  The Pub
| | |-+  zöld bableves, a recipe my mother cooked
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: zöld bableves, a recipe my mother cooked  (Read 2023 times)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2009, 21:12:45 PM »

Hi,

Since the green beans have been coming in from the garden, I thought I'd share one of our favourite soup recipes.  As kids, we called it, green bean bableves.  I wasn't sure how to convert some of the measurement units, like teaspoons and tablespoons that we use in the US, and often I just pour in my hand, as I have a good idea of how much that is.   Cheesy

zöld bableves

1 smoked ham hock and 3 smoked pork neck bones
3.7 litres water (about 4 quarts)
1 large chopped yellow onion
Put in large kettle and bring to boil, reduce to simmer and cook, covered, for an hour. 
This brings out flavour of pork bones.
Then add about 3 litres (3 or more quarts) of green string or stringless green beans, removing strings if they are of this variety (we plant Blue Lake Stringless, pole-type variety) and snapped to 1-inch pieces.
1 bay leaf
2-3 cloves chopped garlic
1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons of salt, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme, (correct seasonings later after it has cooked a bit)
Bring back to simmer and cook another 45 minutes. 
In skillet or pan, make a roux (like bechamel or gravy):
Heat skillet over low, add 2 tablespoons chicken fat or 2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil and 3 - 4 tablespoons white flour, stir to mix, and add
1 1/2 tablespoons hot Paprika
1 1/2 tablespoons sweet Paprika
or to taste,
add more chopped yellow onion.  I use half of an onion, and stir for about 5 minutes.  Then ladle broth from kettle into roux, and stir until it thickens, ladling in more liquid until it reduces a bit to a watery paste.  With spatula, add this to your kettle, stirring to mix until roux dissolves in broth.  Add 3 to 4 tablespoons of vinegar, or to taste, and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.  Turn off heat, and add one cup sour creme to soup, stirring constantly to thoroughly mix in, and reheat as necessary, but no need to simmer.  Remove meat from neck bones and add back to soup.  I usually do this the next day after it  has been in refrigerator.  And yes, tastes better, too, after a day!
ooops, corrected spelling mistakes
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 21:37:36 PM by Lisa » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: