Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 07:55:49 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  Just installed Pardus 2008.2 on an EeePC 901 and have some issues
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Just installed Pardus 2008.2 on an EeePC 901 and have some issues  (Read 1282 times)
paulfxh

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2009, 20:43:35 PM »

Hi, I just installed Pardus 2008.2 on my EeePC 901 (after getting some help from the Turkish Pardus forum).
It's currently installed on a 3.7GB primary partition on the 16GB SSD and boots through Ubuntu's Grub which is in the MBR.
It works fine but I have the following issues and would appreciate any comments:

1. No wireless devices detected (wireless card is Ralink 2860)
2. Can't figure out how to upgrade to Pardus 2009 other than by re-installing
3. Does Pardus not support 3D effects (Compiz Fusion)?
4. This one is really weird. After using Pardus, the two filesystems on the Ubuntu install on the same machine (/ and /home) become corrupted but can be easily fixed with fsck. The two Ubuntu partitions are also both primaries and are located adjacent to the Pardus partition. Booting to Ubuntu without having used Pardus immediately before gives no problems.

Anybody got any clues as to how I can resolve any of these issues? Just for information, I have three years of Linux experience but not even one day with Pardus.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 22:23:23 PM »

1. No wireless devices detected (wireless card is Ralink 2860)
Maybe installing the rt2860sta in Package Manager and a restart? will do the trick.?
2. Can't figure out how to upgrade to Pardus 2009 other than by re-installing
As far as I know this is only possible through re-installing (no problem when you have a separate /home partition).
3. Does Pardus not support 3D effects (Compiz Fusion)?
Do a search or have a first look here.
4. This one is really weird. After using Pardus, the two filesystems on the Ubuntu i........................
From your description i can't figure out what the problem really is.
Can't you boot into Ubuntu and/or Pardus? What is happening?
paulfxh

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 05:28:52 AM »

Thank you for your reply.
Well, I don't recall having a brain seizure last night but it seems that I did.
Despite numerous attempts yesterday I was unable to find either the rt2869sta driver or any compiz-fusion stuff in the Pardus repos.
Today everything is available. So, I now have both a wifi connection and a lot of eye-candy.
Perhaps whatever repos I needed for this stuff were inactive for whatever reason when I tried yesterday.
The fourth problem I referred to in my first post remains the same -- annoying and unresolved.
However, in answer to your question, yes I can boot into both Pardus and Ubuntu. However, on booting to Ubuntu immediately after rebooting from Pardus, both / and /home in Ubuntu report fsck filesystem errors and the boot fails.
To eliminate these problems I need to boot to Linux Mint on the same machine and run "fsck -y /dev/sdXY" for both partitions. The problems are resolved quickly which seems to indicate that whatever the corruption was , it is minor. After this, I can now boot normally into Ubuntu.
Other than that, Pardus is starting to look very good although I know I'll be posting here for a while as there are still some things that are bothering/puzzling me  Smiley
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 10:09:17 AM »

The fourth problem I referred to in my first post remains the same -- annoying and unresolved.
Maybe it has to to with the mounting (options) of your Ubuntu-partitions in /etc/fstab of Pardus?
To change these settings install disk-manager in Package Manager and have a look in Tasma > System.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 10:19:05 AM by atolboo » Logged
paulfxh

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 16:45:24 PM »

Thanks for your reply.
Maybe it has to to with the mounting (options) of your Ubuntu-partitions in /etc/fstab of Pardus?
To change these settings install disk-manager in Package Manager and have a look in Tasma > System.
This is an astute observation.
Strangely, though, the Ubuntu partitions are mounted in the /etc/fstab of Pardus EXACTLY as are the partitions of the other OSes I have on my EeePC 901 (OpenSUSE, Linux Mint -- actually it's amazing how much you can squeeze into the 20GB of SSD space on this little machine). None of these others gives any booting problems after rebooting from Pardus.
On delving a little further into the error message I get on trying to boot Ubuntu, it seems the problem is that the time at which the Ubuntu partitions were mounted within Pardus is in the future (maybe 15-20 minutes). It seems that this relatively minor error is what trips up the Ubuntu boot. Surprisingly, the same problem occurs with Linux Mint but fsck during the boot is able to repair the problem without halting the boot.
In any event, as I don't really need the Ubuntu partitions to be mounted, by commenting out the Ubuntu lines in the /etc/fstab of Pardus, I can boot in and out of Pardus without messing up Ubuntu.
Still need to look into why Pardus records the boot time in the future though but it's obviously a clock problem.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: