Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 18:26:45 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Introduce yourself
| | |-+  Greetings from Halifax UK
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Greetings from Halifax UK  (Read 1688 times)
scutiform

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2009, 22:53:54 PM »

I have just discovered Pardus after using Ubuntu for several years.  I'm a bit older than the average Linux user, so ease of use is a major factor.  I don't mind using the command line every now and then to sort out a problem (even with windows I used msdos commands), but I just want to get on with using my computer.  Pardus is the first distro I have found that seems to have just worked.  Very impressed. 

I live in a retirement home, and during the last couple of years, I have converted nearly half of the residents (all of whom have internet access) to Ubuntu.  It looks like I have to start again and spread the Pardus message!  We have just persuaded the management to install a faster wireless broadband system, so my next task is to set up a LAN.

I will keep Ubuntu for a while so that my great grand children can frag me in Alien Arena.  Once I work out how to get it on Pardus, I think I will migrate permanently.
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 10:53:36 AM »

You are not alone as an "older user":

see this thread:
http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=2990.0

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
bubbel
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 11:04:33 AM »

Hello scutiform,

welcome from me too and have fun with Pardus and this community. Wink Smiley

Greetings
bubbel
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 20:59:04 PM »

Greetings, scutiform!

I would have said "hello", sooner, but we've been having land-line problems for over a week. 

That is great to hear you are converting others to Linux! 

Regards, Lisa Marie
caitlyn
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 00:47:17 AM »

Welcome!  I've found the Pardus community to be very friendly and helpful.

As far as being older, I've run into a number of Linux developers who are very happy to chat about their grandkids.  I think Linux is popular enough now that you can't make a generic statement about a typical user anymore.  That's a good thing, IMHO  Grin
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: