Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 16:42:02 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  [SOLVED] Compiz-fusion in Pardus 2009?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [SOLVED] Compiz-fusion in Pardus 2009?  (Read 2745 times)
paulfxh

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2009, 02:55:20 AM »

After a few days playing around with Pardus 2008.2 on my EeePC 901 (Intel 945GM graphics), I have now upgraded to Pardus 2009.
Looks great (KDE 4.2) and works well, but I'm unable to find how to install compiz-fusion.
In Pardus 2008.2, I easily found these in the repos and they worked very well. In Pardus 2009, I have enabled five of the six repos mentioned in this thread  (all except Pardus-Gnome) but still no compiz stuff appears when I search the repos.
Now I have enabled various Desktop Effects (System Settings >> Desktop >> Conffigure Desktop Effects). However, these really don't come close to what I normally expect from Compiz-Fusion (even with wobbly windows activated) and what I already saw in Pardus 2008.2.
Obviously, I'm overlooking something.
Any clues?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 09:20:31 AM by Michiel » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 14:43:43 PM »

I think in P2009 it is:
System Settings > Desktop > Desktop Effects > General  [Enable desktop effects]
And while you are there also have a look in Tab 'All Effects'.
paulfxh

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 22:47:40 PM »

Thanks for the replies.
However, what atolboo suggests is, in fact, exactly what I had already done as I mentioned in my first post.
OK, so I got some desktop effects but nothing like what I'm used to in  Compiz-Fusion which I have used in many distros (rotating cubes, 3D windows, truly wobbly windows).
The wobbly windows in Pardus, after enabling desktop effects, are only a pale shadow of what I have in Ubuntu, Linux Mint and OpenSuSE on this same machine.
Now that I've been using Pardus 2009 for a little while I'll just mention some other problems that I have although it may be better to open a new thread.
The major problem is that the Desktop Manager (KDE 4.2) in Pardus keeps crashing even after relatively minor operations such as opening a terminal.
I have put quite a few widgets on my Desktop. In booting to Pardus, the Desktop opens perfectly without any problems.
Then if I do anything (opening a terminal or opening the "Wine Glass" menu) everything on the Desktop disappears leaving a black screen other than, strangely, the horizontal RAM and Network usage bars.
So, nothing is available for me to do anything other than press the power button on the machine to get it to reboot.
Essentially, Pardus 2009 is unusable like this.
I may try to reinstall even though the md5sum of what I installed from was correct.
Another problem concerns the Google Weather widget which insists on showing me the weather in Munich Germany even though I'm actually on the other side of the world. So even though I have entered my own city and country and these are accepted, after every reboot it reverts back to Munich.
Has anybody else experienced similar problems? 
mdiegi
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 00:46:51 AM »

Hey,
you can get the same effects with kwin Grin have a look at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfbRs2zqiUU

A better weather plama ist yawp, you can install it with the package manager or with:

Code:
sudo pisi it yawp

in a terminal.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 00:57:07 AM by mdiegi » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 10:37:25 AM »

However, what atolboo suggests is, in fact, exactly what I had already done as I mentioned in my first post.
I apologize for not reading your first not very carefully.
The major problem is that the Desktop Manager (KDE 4.2) in Pardus keeps crashing even after relatively minor operations such as opening a terminal.
I have put quite a few widgets on my Desktop. .........
This is new to me .... has the number of widgets influence on this behavior?
paulfxh

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 11:36:20 AM »

Thanks to mdiegi and atolboo for the replies.
Well, with the intention of installing yawp as suggested by mdiegi I deleted pyplasma-weather. When I did this, the crashing stopped.
So, it seems, that on my machine at least, this particular widget is not a happy widget.
However, I was unable to install yawp as it seems I don't have the repo for it.
The video posted by mdiegi is impressive and this is exactly what I want. However, don't I already have kwin as part of KDE4.2? So, how do I get the rotating cube?
All that I have is a lot of transparency and some very stuttering wobbly windows which do not at all wobble smoothly like they do in Ubuntu with compiz-fusion.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 15:35:43 PM »

However, I was unable to install yawp as it seems I don't have the repo for it.
You can install yawp by doing a search 'yawp' in Package Manager or through the following command in a Konsole:
Code:
sudo pisi it plasmoid-yawp
paulfxh

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 04:38:27 AM »

Thank you for the reply.
The command
Code:
sudo pisi it plasmoid-yawp
did the trick.
That's a nice widget and even the weather in my city is good  Cheesy
mdiegi
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 10:21:52 AM »

Hi,
shame on me Embarrassed, because of the wrong command - I`m sorry.
paulfxh

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 00:01:36 AM »

@mdiegi
OK, but instead of being sorry, why don't you just tell me how to get the cube rotation with kwin as shown in the video you posted? Then all will be instantly forgiven  Cheesy
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 15:49:57 PM »

.....you just tell me how to get the cube rotation .......
I expect you will have to wait some time as mdiegi in on holiday.   
bubbel
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 18:09:55 PM »

how to get the cube rotation with kwin

Hello,

I think with Ctrl+F11 you can activate cube rotation. I found it here  Wink

Greetings
bubbel
paulfxh

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 01:12:32 AM »

Hello,

I think with Ctrl+F11 you can activate cube rotation. I found it here  Wink

Greetings
bubbel
Thank you for this reply.
Yes, Ctrl+F11 works to give a very nice, transparent, perfectly rotating cube which is at least as good as that of Compiz.
Unfortunately, although the link says that several methods are available for stopping the cube rotation, it doesn't actually provide any.
I've found that Esc or F1 or F2 all stop the cube but all lead back to the login page which is inconvenient.
Nevertheless, it is progress of a sort.
Indeed, Pardus 2009 is starting to look good on my EeePC 901, but I still have very many issues. For these, I think it's better to start a new thread.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 09:20:50 AM by Michiel » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 17:13:02 PM »

For these, I think it's better to start a new thread.
You are welcome.  Wink
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: