Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 12:36:13 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  [SOLVED]How to change from Turkish language to English in Pardus 2008.2
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [SOLVED]How to change from Turkish language to English in Pardus 2008.2  (Read 1807 times)
paulfxh

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2009, 10:25:08 AM »

I had previously installed Pardus 2008.2 in English but can't remember where I downloaded the iso from.
Now after some problems with Pardus 2009 (also in English), I have reinstalled Pardus 2008.2 using the Pardus-2008.2-Canis-aureus-International.iso I found here.
Although I installed it without problem on my EeePC 901, it's in Turkish which I do not speak.
Is it possible to change the language of the installed version or must I search for an English-based 2008.2 iso?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 21:46:42 PM by Michiel » Logged
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 10:38:52 AM »

As explained in the wiki you should have chosen english instead of turkish right at the beginning of your installation by pressing F2 button (was the installation in turkish?):
http://en.pardus-wiki.org/Pardus:Installation2008#Language_selection

At the bottom of the same wiki page:

Additional language adjustment
Have a look in:

Pardus -> Tasma -> System -> Login Manager -> Locale Language:
and

Pardus -> Tasma -> Regional & Accessibitity -> Country/Region & Language -> Locale -> Default

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
paulfxh

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 21:22:47 PM »

Thank you for the reply.

As explained in the wiki you should have chosen english instead of turkish right at the beginning of your installation by pressing F2 button (was the installation in turkish?):
Looks like I messed up badly in forgetting about F2. And, yes, I did the install in Turkish by using a translator on another computer. A lot more work for sure, but educational.  Grin

Additional language adjustment

Have a look in:

Pardus -> Tasma -> System -> Login Manager -> Locale Language:
and

Pardus -> Tasma -> Regional & Accessibitity -> Country/Region & Language -> Locale -> Default
OK, I used this to enable English in the install.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 21:46:59 PM by Michiel » Logged
paulfxh

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 00:42:12 AM »

There's a little more to this than just me having forgotten to use the F2 key to select English as the install language. Maybe it'll help somebody else if I tell the full story which I have now uncovered after a little investigation.
Remember that my EeePC 901 has no optical drive so I have to use a USB key for the installation.
When I first installed Pardus 2008.2 a few weeks ago I followed this guide in the Turkish wiki and I was able to install in English with no problems.
In between, however, I learned of an easier way to create the USB install key in this thread which involves using Unetbootin to create the USB install key from the Pardus iso then editing /boot/syslinux.cfg on the key and changing the second stanza to
Code:
label unetbootindefault
menu label Pardus Usb
kernel /boot/kernel mudur=livedisk vga=791 splash=silent quiet
initrd /boot/initrd
While this worked perfectly for Pardus 2009, when I re-checked with Pardus 2008.2 (even with the international iso), no install options (ie no F2, F3, F4 options) at all are presented at the start of the install. So the only option is to install in Turkish and later use the Regional & Accessibility options to change language.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »

So the only option is to install in Turkish and later use the Regional & Accessibility options to change language.
Sorry, I do not agree with you.

All the information to install P2008/P2009 in the available languages with a USB device is in [this Wiki page].
And as of October-8-2009 it's also possible to use Puding (0.2-7-3) in P2009 to make the USB device as shown in [this topic].
This last option has the benefit that you also get the Language selection (and other) option screen.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 11:46:06 AM by atolboo » Logged
paulfxh

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 23:04:35 PM »

So the only option is to install in Turkish and later use the Regional & Accessibility options to change language.
Sorry, I do not agree with you.

All the information to install P2008/P2009 in the available languages with a USB device is in [this Wiki page].
And as of October-8-2009 it's also possible to use Puding (0.2-7-3) in P2009 to make the USB device as shown in [this topic].
This last option has the benefit that you also get the Language selection (and other) option screen.

Sorry if it seems I haven't explained my point very well.
In fact, I refer ONLY to installation of Pardus from a USB key which has been prepared as follows:
i) Use Unetbootin and a Pardus iso to burn a USB install key
ii) With any editor, modify the /boot/syslinux.cfg file on the key so that the second stanza reads
Code:
label unetbootindefault
menu label Pardus Usb
kernel /boot/kernel mudur=livedisk vga=791 splash=silent quiet
initrd /boot/initrd

For the Pardus_2009.iso, the USB install key prepared using this technique worked perfectly for me on my EeePC 901 and the F2 option to select English as the install language was available.
However, for either Pardus-2008.2-Canis-aureus-International.iso or Pardus-2008.2-Canis-aureus.iso, a USB key prepared by this method, did NOT present the F2 option to select English as the install language.
In this case, and THIS CASE ONLY, the only remaining option was to install in Turkish and, subsequently, use Regional & Accessibility to change the language from Turkish to English.
Sorry for the confusion.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 11:51:57 AM »

Sorry if it seems I haven't explained my point very well.
In fact, I refer ONLY to installation of Pardus from a USB key which has been prepared as follows:...........
This means that your description is not good.
And I think your description comes from [here] and as such should be reported (and changed) there.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: