Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 23:25:21 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  General topics
| | |-+  Pardus 2009.1 and KDE4.3
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pardus 2009.1 and KDE4.3  (Read 3591 times)
Andreas
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 12:08:48 PM »

Thanks Andreas (again!)

Now problem andyb. Smiley Wink
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2009, 16:05:04 PM »

The only slight problems are during boot, when there are a couple of ugly black screens that flash into view just before the desktop loads.  Some of the desktop plasmoids then take a while to load properly and the icons in the system tray also take ~ 20 seconds to load (with ugly placeholders in their place for that time.  Once up and running, I wouldn't say there's much difference to KDE 4.2 as

Yes, I noticed this as well when I tested it out.  Glad to read your initial review on this test version. 
Lisa Marie
andyb
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 16:29:04 PM »

Hi Lisa

Are you still using KDE4.3?

I've read that there are thousands of bug-fixes in 4.3 over 4.2 (but I've also read that 4.2 in Pardus actually had lots of these fixes incorporated into it, anyway).

I don't think that I'll revert back to 4.2.  I don't know whether History Manager would do it anyway, but it seems fine as it is, really.  Interesting that you found the same, minor issues on startup.  Should I/we file a bug report, even though it's only pardus-testing?

Regards,
Andreas
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, 16:32:38 PM »

Should I/we file a bug report, even though it's only pardus-testing?

Hello andyb,

feel free and file a Bug-Report about it. This ist the best way, that the developers know from the problem and can fix it. Wink

Greetings
Andreas
andyb
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2009, 16:49:52 PM »

Bug report filed:

http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/show_bug.cgi?id=11653
Andreas
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 17:14:25 PM »

Hello andyb,

this is the best way, what you can do. Wink I hope for you and Lisa and all other users that the issue will be fixed next time. Smiley

Greetings
Andreas
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 17:16:13 PM by Andreas » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2009, 21:16:56 PM »

Hi Lisa
Are you still using KDE4.3?
Hi Andy,
I was previously using version 4.3.2 from test, and it gave me the sloppy initial appearance after logging in with the bottom panel, etc.  A few weeks ago I reinstalled Pardus and wanted to wait a bit before trying out any of the test packages again to see if I could narrow down my particular graphics problem upon grub boot.  But yesterday and today I added test repos back and just finished installing them,  including kernel 2.6.30.9-128-33, and apparently I am using KDE 4.3.4 and it looks good after logging in.  Nothing strange happened with bottom panel and task manager bar now has an added arrow you can click on to show some of the hidden quick launch items.  I think the speaker icon has changed, too.  And, there is the new Notification and Jobs icon in task manager as well.

I don't think that I'll revert back to 4.2.  I don't know whether History Manager would do it anyway, but it seems fine as it is, really.  Interesting that you found the same, minor issues on startup.  Should I/we file a bug report, even though it's only pardus-testing?
I don't always have success using history manager to revert back, but it depends.  Sometimes it works better when I use terminal with pisi and downgrade to package that worked, making sure to downgrade any dependencies as well.  It's good to file a bug report as this always helps them to make Pardus better.  But, as I mentioned, today's update in test is showing a nice KDE desktop with version 4.3.4.
Regards, Lisa Marie
klurig
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2009, 00:26:20 AM »

I agree with you Lisa. I have also KDE desktop with version 4.3.4., it works very well. But it is in testing stage you never know what happens. But continuing KDE desktop with version 4.3.4 works so well is no reason to discourage others from testing.  Grin

Klurig
andyb
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2009, 10:17:18 AM »

Lisa, Klurig

Yes, the recent pardus-testing updates fixed the flashing black screens during startup.  Now running KDE4.3.4 happily.

I've amended the bug report accordingly.

Regards,

Andy B
Andreas
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2009, 10:31:18 AM »

Yes, the recent pardus-testing updates fixed the flashing black screens during startup.  Now running KDE4.3.4 happily.

Great to hear. Smiley Wink

Greetings
Andreas
andyb
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2009, 15:29:22 PM »

A new bug (http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/show_bug.cgi?id=11704).  Anyone else experiencing this?

After instaling the latest updates to KDE4.3.4 (from the testing repo) after logging on, the folderview reverts to "Home" instead of "Desktop".  Even after changing the folderback to Desktop and choosing to "Save Session", the "Home" folder appears after a new login.

Also- the menu editor freezes (kmenuedit)

Regards,
andyb
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2009, 16:28:09 PM »

I spoke too soon.  Further updates from the testing repo (15:00 GMT) solved the desktop folder issue. Grin

Still getting freezes on kmenuedit, however
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2009, 17:05:04 PM »

Upward and onward, Andy!  Looks like slowly but surely the bugs are becoming less and less. 

I use the simple style of kmenu and do not notice any problems with it.  No problems with ugly placeholders in the bottom panel, though I'm unsure of what you mean by placeholders, but i'm sure I'd know what you are talking about if I had them, too.

I don't know if I should start another thread on  this, but I'd like to change to the other menu  style.  I usuallly start kaptan from terminal to change it (where it asks if you want to use Lancelot, simple, or the other one) but lately Kaptan gives an error (bug has been reported on this).  Is there another way to change to style of menu?  I've looked under "Settings>System settings", "application launcher menu settings" and "menu editor" but nothing there.

Lisa Marie
andyb
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2009, 17:11:58 PM »

Hi Lisa!

I think the menu can be changed by adding/removing the appropriate widget to the bottom panel (ie Lancelot), if Kaptan isn't working (I'll try in a minute).  In other words the launcher is just a widget.

The ugly placeholders is now just the one- a horrible little fuzzy mess in the tray, until the package manager loads and the cat appears, 20 seconds later.  I can live with that!

Does kmenuedit work for you?

Off to experiment.

A
andyb
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2009, 17:26:33 PM »

I tried the classic menu, and Lancelot- the same two bugs occur:

- kmenuedit freezes
-entering text into the search field in the Kickoff and Lancelot menus freezes the system completely
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: