Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 01:18:26 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  [solved] firefox and DNS-323
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [solved] firefox and DNS-323  (Read 754 times)
muggins

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2009, 16:16:58 PM »

i have been using Linux since minix days (first PC Digital Group Z-80 in 1977) first Slackware, then Mandrake, Mandriva until i could no longer use KDE 3.5 then switched to Ubuntu 9.04, now Pardus.

1. when i close Firefox it seems to exit properly, but when i try to start it up again, a box pops up and says it is already running and i must stop the process or reboot.  i have to kill the process, and then Firefox will start.  i notice that there are a couple of zombie kmserver processes that i cant seem to kill.  i am using XMarks, adblock+ and StumbleUpon plugins in Firefox.

2. i have a DNS-323 NAS which works well in Dolphin.  However,

i cannot select it as a repository for downloads in Firefox, nor can i save or load images from Gimp or other graphics programs.  i think i need to mount it permanently in fstab using an smbfs filesystem.  In the Dlink forums a user has suggested this for Ubuntu, but when i put my setup in fstab, Pardus freezes during the boot process, and a hard boot and repair with an outside resource [system rescue CD] is required.  Other distros will exit the boot process and give you a command prompt so you can edit the fstab file.

Here   http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=7848.0     is the suggested entry for fstab:

//192.168.0.199/Pessoais /media/lua cifs guest,rw,uid=1000,gid=1000,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0

and here is how i modified for my setup (smb://192.168.1.119/Volume_1/      <- working in dolphin)

//192.168.1.119/Volume_1 /home/cmallam/dlink cifs guest,rw,uid=1000,gid=1000,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0

i am trying to mount the drive in a non-existant directory called dlink mounted under my home directory.  i am making the assumption that this subdirectory should not exist before fstab creates it and mounts the NAS there.

thanks for offering any insight into these two problems.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 00:36:33 AM by muggins » Logged

Pardus 2009.0 (desktop) Mandriva 2010.0 (netbook)
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 21:23:25 PM »

1. when i close Firefox it seems to exit properly,.............. XMarks, adblock+ and StumbleUpon plugins in Firefox.
1. Try if System Settings > Appearance >  GTK Styles and Fonts > GTK Styles > mark Use another style: Qt4 will do the trick?
2. And how about disabling the plugins? (maybe it's in the plugins)
........... called dlink mounted under my home directory. .......
Maybe mounting this in /mnt/... will do the trick?
muggins

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 00:34:12 AM »

ok, the gtk trick fixed Firefox, thanks.

turned out in order for the mounting of the NAS to the filesystem to succeed, the subdirectory had to exist ahead of time.  i also discovered that a simple control-c will allow the booting to continue after a failed mount in fstab.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 00:36:02 AM by muggins » Logged

Pardus 2009.0 (desktop) Mandriva 2010.0 (netbook)
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 11:44:11 AM »

Thanks for your feedback ! 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: