Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 02:49:18 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  General topics
| | |-+  BBC
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BBC  (Read 1067 times)
johnh3
BBC
« on: October 30, 2009, 07:41:00 AM »

They have write and show on TV about Ubuntu 9.10  in BBC TV. Was a interesting forum there to.
Many in UK have not heard about Pardus 2009 I think. So I write there in the forum about Pardus 2009.
I using Ubuntu 9.10 in a pc,  to but my favourite is still Pardus I have that in my other PC.

The BBC TV clip:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8326264.stm

Here you can make comments:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2009/10/24_hours_with_ubuntu.html
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 18:10:54 PM »

The article is about Ubuntu, not Pardus, so the comments should only be related to the former, not to the latter. What would you think of an Ubuntu enthusiast who would comment an article about Pardus, saying that Ubuntu is better ?

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
johnh3
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 20:06:02 PM »

I understand what you mean.
But many more than just Ubuntu user reads it to. Many Windows users to. So why not give them a tip?
It is a BBC forum not a Ubuntu forum. The article was written by a independent BBC journalist to and not a Ubuntu enthusiast.
I actually make a comment on Ubuntu 9.10 , about it was not included with media codecs.
So it was a topic related comment as you can see:

"I have used all Ubuntu versions since Ubuntu 7.04, the 9.10 is the best of them so far.
But if you want all mediacodecs for DVD movies, Mp3, Java etc..preinstalled I prefeer Pardus 2009.
I recommend everybody to give it a try. More similar to the design of Windows 7 to than Ubuntu."

http://www.pardus.org.tr/eng/

(But if the article was about Mandriva, Fedora or some other dist you could bet that some Ubuntu user would make a comment there to)

Much people dont know anything about Pardus. A forum is free to discus different things there.
I use Ubuntu 9.10 to but also Pardus 2009. And all Linux system are related to eachoter in some ways.
One of the comment like the links I included:

"John, thanks for posting the links for Pardus.

I had no idea it existed, and it's notable that Pardus has been sponsored and funded to such a degree, however indirectly, from public funds. The wiki makes interesting reading. Add this to other public linux projects across Europe and beyond, and one could be forgiven for thinking that like the internet, the day may come where an opensource OS could be considered an essential, like water, food, public services, etc., and public funds in other countries could be allocated for this purpose, not only for local use (like Pardus as a turkish version), but beyond.
The EU as an organisation hasn't always got it right, but in this particular subject, they seem to be up to speed, with support for opensource projects. I dare say once the politicians realise they could gain some kudos as a result of further support for opensource, not only for administrative purposes, but the general public as well, we'll see more input, funding, and sponsorship as a result. A far better use of tax receipts than some of the other projects that have consumed Euros, in my humble opinion.

This is only my view, but provided linux developers remain free to code as they see fit for new ideas and innovations, without restriction, and at the same time, are funded to contribute to "framework" projects for the greater public good, then the fundamental nature of domestic computer use will change, and ordinary users will benefit. If any computer user can install and run a OS, for free, from a public D/L (as they can now with linux supported and hosted on thousands of servers around the world), it will push commercial operators to raise their game, and income will then depend on quality rather than ruthless monopoly, and selling substandard software for profit.

Highly informative read, and thanks for posting the links"

Pardus/Tubitak  do not so much promotion/commercial themselves, so this is one way to spread that Pardus exist. Smiley
But if they would do it I think it would be among the top then in Distrowatch list. Even at top five.
I noticed Linux Mint are in place 3 now. I think with good promotion it would be possible for Pardus to be there to.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 22:31:49 PM by johnh3 » Logged
AlanGB

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 11:27:06 AM »

The BBC have a problem even admitting the existence of Linux. News stories about  viruses, trojans,
botnets etc., usually fail to state the sole operating system affected. They are in the same "Windows mindset"
as most of the general public.
To be fair, this has begun to change of late as this Ubuntu article shows.

Try watching Click Online, the BBC's digital tech feature on News 24. See the presenter mention the "L" word through gritted teeth... Grin

mdiegi
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 16:55:26 PM »

BBC is using Linux already. Grin

Have a look here:
http://www.techworld.com.au/article/204349/bbc_moves_linux_into_tv_production
AlanGB

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 19:17:46 PM »

Thanks, I didn't know that. Just goes to show how Linux works quietly away in the background
while windows gets all the publicity.
The BBC did get some criticism at the launch of iPlayer as non-windows users seemed to have been
left out in the cold at the time.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: