Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 13:18:28 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  Why servers in Turkey when in USA? Solved.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why servers in Turkey when in USA? Solved.  (Read 1423 times)
dwightpaige79

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2010, 08:07:35 AM »

This may seem like a weird question. But from my perspective it seems like weird browser behavior. Many sites in Firefox I normally get through servers in USA in other distros in Pardus go through servers in Turkey. That seems odd and does occasionally cause problems or oddities. Not an insignificant point for others in this household. I'm talking about sites like tvguide.com, accuweather.com, weatherbug.com and more. Those are all USA originating companies and it seems odd that I get them through servers in Turkey when they have regional servers in the USA. Is there a way to change this behavior? It also seems an inefficient use of resources. Especially for folks in Turkey where while in Pardus I'm using their servers rather than those closer to my home. Oh, I should mention that in part I get this info from the World IP extension in Firefox. But I've disabled it and tried Flagfox extension and others and results are very consistent.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 22:57:38 PM by dwightpaige79 » Logged
trixon
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 09:04:57 AM »

Is there a way to change this behavior?

Yes it is. Start network-manager and replace all DNS servers with something else. You could use opendns or the ones provided by your ISP.
dwightpaige79

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 22:29:39 PM »

Is there a way to change this behavior?

Yes it is. Start network-manager and replace all DNS servers with something else. You could use opendns or the ones provided by your ISP.

Thanks trixon. Felling kinda stupid at the moment. Should a mentioned that my computer is behind a router. Other OS's I use normally assign by default nameserver address=router address. Opened network manager and did that and problem solved.

Sign of progress in Linux? I haven't actually thought about how I connect to internet for a while. It just happens...

Question.Does Pardus Network Manager come preloaded with instances of DNS/nameserver preloaded with Turkish addresses? Or did that just happen on my box?
Eren.Turkay
Global Moderator
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 08:24:01 AM »

Question.Does Pardus Network Manager come preloaded with instances of DNS/nameserver preloaded with Turkish addresses? Or did that just happen on my box?

It uses default DNS addresses which are Pardus' official DNS when you don't set different DNS addresses while you're creating new connection. You can see the related lines with DNS in creation window.
dwightpaige79

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 03:01:15 AM »

Thanks, and that's fine. I don't have a problem with web content going through servers in Turkey it just struck me as odd that some sites that I was used to going locally in New Orleans through Cox Communications, [also my ISP] which is literally less than 3 miles from where I live, going through servers in Europe. Perhaps my impression was also colored by the jobs issue which many of us in South East Louisiana are very concerned about at this time.

On a practical level the only issue was that TVGuide.com going through Turkey sometimes didn't have any channels rendering it rather useless. Some in this household were aghast at that! For me not so much a big deal.
Sandro
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 21:46:20 PM »

If the DNS from your ISP are good, stay with they. Also try open dns or try google dns (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: