Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 07:46:59 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  Pardus 2009, GRUB2 and multibooting Linux
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pardus 2009, GRUB2 and multibooting Linux  (Read 3076 times)
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2009, 22:04:26 PM »

Merhaba,

I hope this is the right section for this question ... I just registered today and this is my first post to this User Forum.

I have not yet installed Pardus 2009 International but I am almost ready. (I need to do some housekeeping first, such as backing everything up and repartitioning my second hard drive). I'm trying to do some research about Pardus and GRUB2 before I commit to the install.

If I understand correctly, the GRUB2 bootloader is used as the default in Pardus 2009. I have two hard drives and run three different distros on them (Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy on /hda, PCLinuxOS 2009 and Fedora 9 Sulphur on /hdb).

My question is this: Could users here comment on how successful / accurate GRUB2 is at detecting previously installed Linuxes? If I install Pardus's GRUB2 to the MBR, is there a good chance that it will auto-detect my other installs and boot them without problem? 

If necessary, I am willing to manually edit GRUB2's equivalent of the old menu.lst file, but it would be nice if the auto-detection allowed everything to "just work." (From my Web browsing, it seems they have redesigned GRUB2 from the ground up -- even to the point of changing legacy GRUB's partition numbering scheme [which already confused me enough]  Smiley ).

I have read the two threads below but would like some additional information, if possible:

http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=2093.0
"[solved] Problems with Grub."

http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=1844.msg8236#msg8236
"No chance to boot Pardus 2008."

Thanks for any advice you can offer. Te,sekk"ur ederim,
=david

Registered Linux User # 442201

Pardus 2011.2 (KDE 4.6.5, kernel 2.6.37.6)

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 22:20:44 PM »

An welcome first.  Cheesy

Pardus will detect all your other already installed systems.
That's my experience so far.........
A test will confirm this.
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 23:20:52 PM »

Hi, atolboo,

Thank you for your welcome and your encouragement. It sounds like there is a good chance of GRUB2 automatically detecting everything. I will definitely try to install Pardus.

I am not an expert on legacy GRUB or at disk partitioning, since I don't distro-hop regularly. So I rely on the distro's installer to correctly configure the initial setup. I know from firsthand experience that it's frustrating and scary when you can't boot your OS. The Super GRUB Disk has saved me several times.

Met vriendlijke groeten,
=david

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW
rotistmeinname

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 02:00:38 AM »

must dissapoint you pardus is using grub 0.9XY
in my bugreport they told me that in their opinion grub2 was to buggy then but i guess in pardus 2010 they will use grub2
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 03:45:43 AM »

Hi, rotistmeinname,

Thank you for correcting my mistake. Sorry, I must have misread that GRUB2 was the default bootloader. I'm not disappointed; I'm relieved that Pardus uses the older version of GRUB. It will be easier for me to fix if something goes wrong.

Danke f"ur Ihre Hilfe.

kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 08:48:39 AM »

Hi, everyone,

Yippee! I'm posting this message from my fresh Pardus install.

Tonight I was able to successfully install Pardus 2009 in some empty space on my /sdb. (I deleted Fedora 9 Sulphur, which reached its End of Life [EOL] in July or August, in order to make room). The installation process took about 40 minutes on this hardware; the YALI installer is very user-friendly and made it a pleasant experience. I chose to manually partition and basically followed the installation instructions given in the Wiki.

I followed the installer's recommendation and put GRUB on the MBR of /sda. Pardus auto-detected my Ubuntu setup on /sda (and I've just verified that I can boot into it OK), but for some reason it did not detect my PCLinuxOS installation on /sdb, so it does not appear in GRUB's menu list at bootup. (I will work on trying to fix that tomorrow).

< Edit: My bad.  Embarrassed Pardus did correctly auto-detect my PCLinuxOS installation, and I can boot into it. The entry was in the menu list all along; due to the way the list was displayed, the entries appeared to stop with my Ubuntu setup (with entries for the 3 most recent kernels and their recovery mode). It was late and I didn't realize that pressing the [Down Arrow] key would take me to the PCLOS entries further down the screen.

So atolboo was correct when he said that Pardus would detect the other installed systems. Again, my apologies for not realizing this. >

I had to do some very minor configuration in order to activate my wired Ethernet connection. Other than that, I think almost everything else was automatically set up. (Tomorrow I will test out more peripherals, such as printer, flatbed scanner, etc.).  

The "Kaptan" Welcome Wizard at first login is a nice feature, and I give it five stars. Right now, I'm at the stage of "Wow, I can't believe it was that easy to install" and also "Wow, why did the KDE 4 developers move everything to a different place? Lots of stuff is not where I expect it to be*!#!" I will hope that the learning curve is not too steep ...

I obviously need more time to reach a conclusion, but I think Pardus deserves wider attention and more praise. Congratulations again to Pardus's developers and everyone else who has helped with it! I am impressed with how polished it seems to be. Thanks to everyone on the forum who has helped me thus far,

=david

« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 18:20:40 PM by kalwisti » Logged

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 14:13:47 PM »

..........to install CAELinux (in fact is an Ubuntu distro customized for scientific research).
This means that GRUB 2 is used by CAELinux.

Can I unmark 'installing the boot loader' and let Pardus do the job?
Of course you can choose this option and after this there are two options to add CAELinux to the boot menu of Pardus.
1. Use the option Rescue System > Reinstall GRUB (boot problems from the installation CD/DVD/USB P2009.2 to automatically do the detection and writing of a new /boot/grub/menu.lst
With this option you have to select the "PARDUS_ROOT" partition from the list

2. Use Wiki manual Adding a GRUB 2 item in the boot-menu of Pardus to add CAELinux manually.

If I check it, where does it have to be installed? sda? sda6? Huh?
If you choose this option, Grub has to be written to the MBR of sda and not sda6.
Of course I don't know if the script from CAELinux will also detect your already existing P2009.2 Wink
If not, you can always use option 1. to do the job.

I hope this answer will be of any help to make your decision.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: