Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 12:49:48 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Introduce yourself
| | |-+  howdy from Texas
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: howdy from Texas  (Read 2908 times)
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2009, 23:07:31 PM »

Hello, everyone,

I hope to install Pardus 2009 very soon, and that it will run well on my older hardware. I've read that Pardus has the reputation of being user-friendly and having an excellent implementation of KDE 4. I saw some positive reviews of Pardus that got me interested in it -- especially the article by Caitlyn Martin posted at DistroWatch (10 Aug. 2009).  

Like some others here, I'm an older Linux user (about to turn 52) -- or to use a more politically correct initialism -- an MLU [Mature Linux User]. That sounds better than "over the hill" or "decrepit."  Smiley I'm not completely new to Linux; I've used it at home since 2007 and am currently running Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron, PCLinuxOS 2009 and Fedora 9 Sulphur. I switch back and forth between KDE and GNOME, and don't have a strong preference for one over another. I have minimal experience with the XFCE desktop environment. But I feel like I really need to take the plunge and become familiar with KDE 4, since this is where the future is headed. (And if my hardware allows it, I feel I should gradually make the transition to KDE 4 as my everyday work environment).  

Even if Pardus does not work out for me, I think that the Pardus developers should be congratulated for an admirable accomplishment -- as well as the Turkish government, for making a commitment to open source software. It's amazing that they have been able to create a distro from scratch, without basing it on Debian or Fedora or some other big Linux distribution.

I wish Pardus and its users continued success and happiness. I will keep my fingers crossed that I can get it to install and run. (If it works, you'll certainly see me asking questions in the forum).

=david

« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 23:28:47 PM by kalwisti » Logged

Registered Linux User # 442201

Pardus 2011.2 (KDE 4.6.5, kernel 2.6.37.6)

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW
bubbel
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 06:16:38 AM »

Hello David,

welcome here in this great community and have fun with Pardus. Wink Smiley

Greetings
bubbel
csaenemy
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 09:55:54 AM »

Welcome David,

I am a relative novice myself, but since I started using Pardus and KDE4 I have felt no need to boot into any of the other distros that still lurk on my system. Hope it all works well for you too. Smiley
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 15:42:36 PM »

Hi, bubbel and csaenemy,

Thank you both for your words of welcome; I appreciate it. Last night I finished the housecleaning and backing up of my hard drive; tonight or Saturday I'll do the necessary partitioning and try to install Pardus.

I believe I have a good burn; the md5sum was verified and I popped in the CD and did the Media Check step. The installer said it was OK. I've printed off installation instructions from the Wiki, so now it's a matter of keeping my fingers crossed ...

If it works, I expect that I'll need to have my hand held with KDE 4. I read someone's analogy that becoming familiar with KDE 4 is like learning to drive a car where they have changed the location of the gearshift, the headlight dimmer switch -- maybe even the accelerator pedal (?). Hopefully I will find out whether my old hardware is capable of running KDE 4.

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW
trixon
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 16:16:09 PM »

Hi and welcome!
Remember to do the first update with
Code:
sudo pisi up
and not with the GUI Package Manager if installing to ext4.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 16:53:48 PM »

Hi kalwlisti,

A big welcome from Arkansas!

It takes a bit of getting used to KDE 4 compared to using KDE 3, but I think next year it will be more to my liking - just my opinion.   There's still some bugs that are being worked out, but I guess you could say that for any desktop - always an on-going maintenance process.

@Trixon, I just reinstalled today  using ext4 file system and it is good to know the tip you suggested,

Regards, Lisa Marie

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 19:01:16 PM »

Remember to do the first update with
Code:
sudo pisi up
and not with the GUI Package Manager if installing to ext4.
@Trixon, I just reinstalled today  using ext4 file system and it is good to know the tip you suggested,
The only right procedure to update after a new installation is [here].
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 21:35:21 PM »

Hi, trixon and atolboo,

Thanks to both of you for the tip about the first update. I've just done that and it went fine (or so it appears). But I am going to wait before I install a bunch of new applications until I can read some more and get more comfortable with KDE 4's layout.

I successfully installed Pardus 2009 last night and wrote a brief post about my experience:

http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=3076.0

Hi, Lisa,

Thanks to you, too. The cat in your avatar looks a lot like our cat Eeyore. She was a good cat who, unfortunately, died unexpectedly on Aug. 1 (probably from a heart attack or massive stroke). It was a shock and we still miss her very much. We adopted her from a shelter, so we don't know her exact age -- she was likely around 6 or 6.5 years old. She was probably about 1 year old when she came home with us.

We got her as a birthday present for our son when he turned 5. He was going through a Winnie the Pooh phase, and had already decided that her name would be Eeyore -- even though she was called "Taffy" at the animal shelter (because of her color). We tried to reason with him by explaining that Eeyore is a boy's name, and she was a girl cat and that name wouldn't fit ... but he was determined to stick with "Eeyore." So she became Eeyore.  Smiley  

I'm impressed with Pardus so far. One area of concern I have now is with RAM use; I have 1 GB of RAM (the maximum this old mobo allows) and according to the Sysinfo panel, only 27 MB of RAM are free. (And only Firefox is running). I have disabled Desktop Effects, so I'm not sure if this amount of RAM usage is typical for KDE 4 ... Have others noticed that KDE 4 is more RAM-hungry than 3.5.x?

I have not seen jerkiness with the video or extremely slow scrolling; I'd say that so far, the system is not snappy, but has been fairly responsive.

Thanks,
=david
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 21:39:43 PM by kalwisti » Logged

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 04:59:11 AM »

Hi David, aka, kalwisti,

Hmmm, there's a thread somewhere here asking about KDE4 being more RAM hungry versus 3.5 version.  I have 4 G of memory installed on my Frankestein's monster of a desktop, and haven't noticed the difference between 3.5 or 4, but I did notice when I installed experimental KDE 4.3.2 that Konqueror was slow to bring up pages.  Now, after a renewed install of the original Pardus 2009, I am using the default version 4.2.4, which seems faster than 4.3.2 .  I hope I'm not confusing you. Cheesy

Yeah, that's Tom Toots, and as I type, I can hear him scratching at the front door wanting to come inside, even though it isn't that cold out, but he wants to spend the night indoors.  So far we have had two orange coloured kitties, and they both have great personalities.  Our previous orange cat was named Opie, after the character in The Andy Griffith Show.  He was a dear cat, too, but passed away from feline disease several years ago.  I laugh about your son's choice of kitty names, because when I found Chloe, one of six cats we have, I thought she was a boy, and named her Cleetus, until the vet informed me that he was a she.  So, I changed her name to Chloe.  And I  used to work as a vet technician!  You'd think I'd know the difference.   Roll Eyes

Well, I hope you like Pardus.  One thing about this forum is you get concise answers to any problems you may encounter.  I appreciate the members here giving time to help others. 

Again, glad to have you aboard the good ship, Pardus!
Regards, Lisa Marie
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 08:49:59 AM »

When you want to use less RAM you might consider using XFCE or even better LXDE as your desktop environment on top of your Pardus 2009 KDE4 install, all KDE applications can still be used, but not running the KDE4 desktop environment by default can free up lots of RAM MBs if you would want to.

See the topics in the forum section Configuring Pardus:
Pardus 2009 with XFCE
Pardus 2009 with LXDE
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 08:52:02 AM by Michiel » Logged

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 10:58:42 AM »

Thanks for your feedback    and
One area of concern I have now is with RAM use; I have 1 GB of RAM ........
This 1GB RAM is enough.
To investigate this: Open KInfoCenter > Memory.
And watch Application Data size in Physical Memory while opening various programs. (do not watch Disk cache)
Manipulating large Image files (>13000x10000px 8MB .jpg file) in Gimp/KolourPaint will require more than 1GB Ram.
And than your Swap Space will come into action  and slows down your computer.
When Firefox is active 370MB(FF) + 360MB(Disk Cache) Ram is used and 270MB is free.
And Disk Cache changes heavily and is really not needed when opening more applications.
Do a test and you can see it for yourself ....... Wink
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 21:00:01 PM »

Hi again, kalwisti,

I just checked my RAM usage and to answer your concern about this, mine is about 3 G installed and physical memory is 2.49 G free while running Firefox.  Maybe you should start a thread concerning this if you are still getting the very low free memory, and include your system specs. 

Regards, LIsa Marie
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 19:11:04 PM »

Thanks to everyone for their advice and suggestions about RAM usage! I'm currently following atolboo's tip about KInfoCenter and am keeping an eye on how much RAM is being used in different situations.

I think I'm worrying about something I don't need to -- especially since the computer is responsive / quick enough for my taste. I will keep Michiel's suggestion about XFCE in mind for the future, if necessary. (I've used XFCE a tiny bit, but don't know my way around it very well).

My Pardus 2009 is still working well for me, and continues to impress me. I allowed the Package Manager to perform a large auto-update (approx. 250 MB) yesterday and it went fine. It even included a kernel update. I was slightly surprised that after the update completed, the system did not prompt me to reboot the computer. I did it anyway, and the GRUB menu list showed an entry for the new kernel (which had been added automatically). I booted into the new kernel without any problems.

If there are kernel updates, does PiSi usually prompt you in some way that you must reboot?

I'm starting to feel a bit more comfortable with KDE 4, but still have lots to learn. Pardus is making the experience more pleasant.  Smiley

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 19:28:37 PM »

If there are kernel updates, does PiSi usually prompt you in some way that you must reboot?
Here is my very short answer: No.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: