Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 05:03:32 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  Blank screen on 4th or 5th boot
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blank screen on 4th or 5th boot  (Read 1726 times)
l296

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2009, 13:29:44 PM »

I have a persistant problem with Pardus 2009 International that I hope someone can help with. Installation is fine, packages update OK, functionality fine - for about 4 to 5 sessions. Then, on the 4th or 5th boot (I haven't kept count each time) the system freezes at a black screen, right before I expect to see my log-in details. If I don't hit Alt/F2 fast, I get an error message about using the wrong monitor settings and have to do a hard re-start. I can then get the OS running in default mode, but haven't yet found any way of correcting the problem. I've tried alternative graphics drivers (my graphics card is a Sapphire Radeon HD 34700) but without success. I've searched the forum for clues, and can see similar black screen issues, but none quite like this. I've reinstalled 3 times now with exactly the same consequences each time.

Any suggestions?  I'm relatively new to Linux, and new to this forum, so my apologies if this post isn't in the right place. 
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 14:08:58 PM »

Any suggestions?
Maybe F3 > Failsafe at bootloader (Grub) will do the trick?
l296

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 17:05:25 PM »

Many thanks for the quick response.

I don't think it's a bootloader problem - I'm dual-booting with XP, and I can get to the point where I'm offered XP, Pardus International 2009 and the latest kernel (2.6.30.9-128). Choosing Pardus brings up the Pardus loading screen (moving bar), then the screen blanks and stays blank, instead of bringing me into log-in.
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 17:45:19 PM »

Have you searched for an error message in /var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog ?

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 18:01:13 PM »

I think this one deserves a bug report. 

Recently, I updated and when I installed the experimental (from test) libdrm package, my grub boot up screen would go blank, cursor was not blinking and I could not start log in page.  But that is why test repositories are in test.   Wink 
Are you getting this problem after doing updates?

What does your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file say?  Do you have desktop effects enabled? 

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/linux_3.14.6.html

Regards, Lisa Marie

« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 18:52:32 PM by Lisa » Logged
l296

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 15:18:50 PM »

In response to PhiX:
I've extracted both messages and syslog files from my Linux partition to XP for viewing, but haven't kept an accurate enough record of what I did and when to know for sure when the first boot failure occurred. I'll now start the whole process again (fresh install, updates etc.) but this time keep a detailed record of each step I take to correlate with the next set of messages and syslog data - assuming I run into the same problem again.
In the meantime I'll review the existing files for clues. Can you give me some idea of what I should be looking for?

In response to Lisa:
I don't have desktop effects enabled, and my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file was - to the best of my memory - unchanged before and after boot failure (it was the first thing I checked after rebooting into default mode). However, I'll confirm that as and when I conclude my 4th attempt to get Pardus up and running!
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 15:34:50 PM »

Hi l296,

It would be good to see the output of /var/log/messages as PhiX suggested when you do get the problem again, as it should say something about the error message you quickly see "wrong monitor settings" before x session starts.     

It could be one of the updates is giving you this problem,  Try holding off on any updates, especially those that deal with video like xorg-server, ati driver update, mesa, and libdrm updates and see if you do not get this random blank screen on every 4th or 5th reboot.   Or, does it occur before you do any updates after several reboots?

There was one person at the ubuntu forum that did a temporary fix by editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf and changed where it said, "ati" to "radeon".   Others disabled DRI in their xorg.conf file, but this means they no longer had 3D functionality.  That's why I was curious what your xorg.conf file looked like. 

If you need help writing a bug report for this, we'll be happy to help.

Regards, LIsa Marie
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 17:42:49 PM »

Hi again,

Here's an informative wiki for ATI cards.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI

One person had a somewhat similar problem and did a BIOS update which solved it.
Lisa Marie
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 18:25:45 PM »

Can you give me some idea of what I should be looking for?

Search for words such as "error", "warning", "cannot", "disabled", using the search fonction of your viewer (kwrite, less, etc.).
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 18:27:54 PM by PhiX » Logged

l296

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 18:52:14 PM »

Did a fresh install this afternoon, and generated the blank screen problem right at the start, loading from the DVD. Installed OK in Default mode, but runs only in this mode right now.

PhiX: checked my syslog from this afternoon as you suggested, and found a number of potential issues, but only one that seemed related to the graphics display - as follows:
Cannot load /usr/kde/4/share/apps/kdm/faces/.default.face: No such file or directory

Lisa: I'll check the Wiki and see whether anything there helps

Thanks to both of you!
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 19:08:51 PM »

Can you post or attach /var/log/messages, /var/log/syslog and ~/.xsession-errors please ?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 19:14:06 PM by PhiX » Logged

l296

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 19:37:36 PM »

PhiX: will do as soon as I figure out how. Still learning....!
l296

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 19:58:21 PM »

as requested; .xsession-errors to follow

* messages.txt (426.16 KB - downloaded 70 times.)
* syslog.txt (556.96 KB - downloaded 51 times.)
l296

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 23:47:52 PM »

PhiX: the .xsession-errors file from this afternoon is very large - over 4Mb - so won't post here. Let me know if you want me to compress and e-mail it instead, or just extract parts of it.

For absolutely no obvious reason, tonight's boot went OK - no blank screen and back to the proper resolution. I'll copy and save the various logs for comparison.
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 23:59:00 PM »

4 Mb ? There's certainly some information in there !
Please email me that beast.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: