Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 12:49:26 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  PiSi Package Manager GUI vs. command-line PiSi
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PiSi Package Manager GUI vs. command-line PiSi  (Read 2537 times)
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2009, 06:29:47 AM »

Hi,

To make a long story short, the past two days I've been trying to fix what I think is a PiSi-GUI-related problem. I solved the problem by using pisi from the command line, but I am confused as to why the GUI failed but the Terminal worked.

I had done two previous updates without any problem. Then PiSi notified me that there were 79 upgradable packages (ca. 138 MB in size). The largest was the qt-doc package (79.5 MB); I was using the default Turkish repositories. I made 4-5 attempts with the package manager's GUI to do the update; every time, the download would reach the 75-76% completion range, and then freeze.

I tried the steps suggested here in the forum of using #pisi clean, #pisi delete-cache and #pisi rebuild-db before I would try updating via the GUI again. But that didn't help.

Next, I decided to remove the Turkish repos and add the two Dutch (.nl) repositories in their place. Twice I tried peforming the update via PiSi's GUI, and both times it froze at exactly the same 75-76% download stage.

Finally, I was frustrated enough to experiment with using pisi from the command line. I found #pisi upgrade mentioned in the Wiki. To my surprise, the update worked this time! No freezing, no stalling. (I am still using the Dutch repos).

Does anyone have an idea about why this happened? Might the PiSi GUI have frozen because of the large package size? Is this a fairly common occurrence, or was this a fluke? Do most of you use PiSi via its GUI, or from the Terminal?

Thanks for any advice / suggestions,
=david

Registered Linux User # 442201

Pardus 2011.2 (KDE 4.6.5, kernel 2.6.37.6)

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW
Andreas
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 06:43:45 AM »

Hello David.

I think you must do that, what you find in the Pardus-Wiki  Wink

Greetings
Andreas
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 07:01:47 AM »

Hi, Andreas,

Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry I forgot to mention that I did issue that command sudo pisi up -c system.base after I finished with my new installation, and before I made the very first update. (atolboo warned me that I needed to do that).

Must I issue the command sudo pisi up -c system.base before every update? Or is it required only before the very first update performed on a freshly installed system?

Thanks for any clarification.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 07:03:53 AM by kalwisti » Logged

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW
Andreas
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 07:38:27 AM »

Must I issue the command sudo pisi up -c system.base before every update? Or is it required only before the very first update performed on a freshly installed system?

Hello David,

pisi up -c system.base is only required before the first update on a fresh installed system. Wink

Greetings
Andreas
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 09:09:29 AM »

I must admit that despite newer versions of package manager I increasingly rely on updating from within the command-line. Like before the GUI Package Manager first of all is still quite slow (especially as compared to processing time in the command line modus), and just like the thread opener I have the impression that updating via the GUI is more prone to be bothered by failures then updating via the GUI. I do not know the reason why the GUI behaves so slowly (I do not mean the repo download times but the proessing times of the consecutive steps) and fails more often then the acual commands used in the CLI.
One major?) part I guess is that somehow the indexing of the pisi package database involves more processing time in the GUI then in the CLI.

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 18:06:34 PM »

Hi, Andreas and Michiel,

Thanks for both your replies!

@Andreas,

Thank you for clarifying that sudo pisi up -c system.base is not necessary after performing your very first update. (I thought I understood that correctly, and then when this PiSi problem occurred, I wasn't so sure anymore ...)

@Michiel,

Thank you for the comments about your experience(s) with PiSi's GUI vs. the CLI. This helps confirm that to avoid update errors, it's probably better to use the CLI.

Actually, what I'm considering is a compromise: to let the Package Manager's GUI notify me of pending updates and to read the package descriptions provided (I write down a list of package updates and their version numbers in a small spiral notebook, in case something causes a major problem); then to perform the update from the CLI.

I'm still enjoying Pardus 2009 very much, and spent about 90% of my computing time last week booted into it. Currently the two applications I miss are Abiword (a little bit) and KMyMoney (a lot). The KMyMoney developers are working on a KDE 4.x version of the program, but they don't yet have a firm release date. Meanwhile I have installed HomeBank and taken a look at it, but have not created an account and begun entering checkbook transactions. I've read in another forum that Skrooge is a good alternative to KMM, but I didn't find it in the Pardus repos.

Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 18:18:08 PM »

abiword (7)
Make the package ready for Pardus 2009. For now, it is not ready, waiting some dependencies.

http://paketler.pardus.org.tr/info/contrib/2009/devel/packager/Serdar%20Dalgıç.html

However this was mid July 2009, apparently the package maintainer got on hold?

The build files as of July 2009 erside here:
https://svn.pardus.org.tr/contrib/2009/devel/office/misc/abiword/

I do not know which of the dependencies causes this to be a project on hold

Build dependenceis are according to the pspec.xml file:
<BuildDependencies>
            <Dependency>aspell</Dependency>
            <Dependency>enchant</Dependency>
            <Dependency>libglade</Dependency>
            <!--Dependency>libgnomeprintui</Dependency-->
            <Dependency>wv</Dependency>
            <Dependency>fribidi</Dependency>
            <Dependency>imagemagick</Dependency>
            <Dependency>libgnomeui</Dependency>
        </BuildDependencies>

And runtime dependenceis are:
        <RuntimeDependencies>
            <Dependency>aspell</Dependency>
            <Dependency>enchant</Dependency>
            <Dependency>libglade</Dependency>
           <!--Dependency>libgnomeprintui</Dependency-->
           <Dependency>wv</Dependency>
            <Dependency>fribidi</Dependency>
            <Dependency>imagemagick</Dependency>
            <Dependency>libgnomeui</Dependency>
        </RuntimeDependencies>

Perhaps it is the bold one that is missing?

However llibgnomeprintui.pisi is present in the contrib-2009 repo I see.

I will try to build the Abiword pisi and see what happens...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 18:27:03 PM by Michiel » Logged

henrikh3
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 18:20:18 PM »

I think it would be best if Pardus would release new ISO files so you could burn down the latest updates direct to the cd.
All the 240 updates take very long time to install by the network with a new installation of Pardus 2009.

http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/show_bug.cgi?id=11499

If you using Ubuntu this is not a big problem because the updating process go so fast there. But Pardus Pisi is so much slower.
I tryed with a friends old PC just for a test, the Pardus Updates take around 8 hours compared to 2 hour with Ubuntu.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 18:33:30 PM by henrikh3 » Logged
henrikh3
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 18:47:18 PM »

I know Pardus are involved in the work with this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Standard_Base

One from Pardus in the team:
http://www.packagekit.org/pk-authors.html
http://www.packagekit.org/

Would be interesting to know if Pardus have any plans to change the Pisi to something other?
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 18:57:00 PM »

Actually it is more the other way around: PISI might become the package manager for Kubuntu following talks between the different developer teams, now already some time ago.

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 19:28:29 PM »

All the 240 updates take very long time to install by the network with a new installation of Pardus 2009.
I tryed with a friends old PC just for a test, the Pardus Updates take around 8 hours compared to 2 hour with Ubuntu.
The solution for this problem is to replace the Turkish repositories with [these repositories].
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 19:47:23 PM »

I will try to build the Abiword pisi and see what happens...

Well after downloading pspec.xml, actions.py, translations.xml and component.xml (to be put  one directory higher in the directory tree then the first three files), and adjusting pspec.xml by sort of commenting out the bold dependency entries mentioned above and make them look similar as all other dependenceis in the code of pspec.xml, and after first updating my system with 97 packages following a sudo pisi up -y, I started building the pisi package with took an considerable amount of time and resuletd in the attached pisi file.

I am not a person that is familiar with Abiword (OOo Writer is OK for me), so use t your own risk.

Code:
michiel@laptop ~ $ sudo pisi it /home/michiel/abiword-2.6.8-7.pisi
Installatievolgorde: abiword
Installatie abiword, versie 2.6.8, uitgave 7, bouw None
Bestanden uitpakken van abiword
Configureren abiword pakket
Geconfigureerd abiword
Geïnstalleerd abiword

* abiword-2.6.8-7.pisi (3134.05 KB - downloaded 41 times.)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 19:50:53 PM by Michiel » Logged

Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 19:54:15 PM »

And this is the result, what is a bit weird is that it appears (as it should) as a new entry under the menu--Office part, but not with the name Abiword, but just with the name wordprocessor (in dutch in my case).

* abiword.png (137.24 KB, 1280x800 - viewed 69 times.)

kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 20:19:02 PM »

Hi, Michiel,

Wow, thanks for building a .pisi package for Abiword. That was very kind of you. I had looked at the Wiki's instructions for building .pisi packages ( http://en.pardus-wiki.org/Pisi_Package ) but I didn't understand much of it. I have no previous experience with packaging and I believe this is above my skill level. In reality, it might not be that complex but it sure looks complicated.

I also like OOo Writer, but sometimes I prefer to use Abiword because it starts up faster on my (older) hardware and is more lightweight. If I try out your package, I'll report back on how it works on my system.

Thanks again.

< Edit: >

Michiel, many thanks for your time and expertise! I just installed your Abiword package and it seems to be working fine (although I obviously haven't had time to test it in depth). I'm attaching two screenshots of how it looks on my system. I'll let you know if I run into problems -- but don't worry, I won't expect you to fix them.  Smiley

Dank u wel,
=david 

* pardus-abiword-2.6.8-menu.png (55.52 KB, 403x481 - viewed 74 times.)

* pardus-abiword-2.6.8.png (63.45 KB, 806x436 - viewed 73 times.)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 21:05:17 PM by kalwisti » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: