Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 05:10:58 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Bugs
| | |-+  [solved] sound only, no video output with Dragon Player, KDE4.3.4
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [solved] sound only, no video output with Dragon Player, KDE4.3.4  (Read 2463 times)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2009, 17:18:15 PM »

Hi,

I haven't tried playing any movie DVD's since I've installed Pardus back in September, so I don't know if this is a bug with the latest multimedia package from test repo.

When I install a disk, Dragon Player will play sound, and I can see the time countdown progressing as the disk plays, but there is no picture.  When I try to start Gnome Media Player, the secondary window crashes.  Smplayer and Mplayer do nothing  at all. 

When I start dragon player from terminal, I get this error output while disk is in:
Code:
/kdecore (KSycoca) KSycocaPrivate::openDatabase: Trying to open ksycoca from  "/var/tmp/kde4cache-z7h_c6mu5es/ksycoca4"
dragonplayer(1367)/kdecore (KLibLoader) KPluginLoader::KPluginLoader: Could not find plugin/library for "phononbackends/xine.desktop" library name: "phonon_xine"
dragonplayer(1367) Phonon::KdePlatformPlugin::createBackend: using backend:  "Xine"
dragonplayer(1367)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "aspect_ratio_menu" with KXMLGUIFactory!
dragonplayer(1367)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "audio_channels_menu" with KXMLGUIFactory!
dragonplayer(1367)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "subtitle_channels_menu" with KXMLGUIFactory!
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 1.1.16.3 from http://xine.sf.net
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.10 for DVD access
libdvdread: Couldn't find device name.
libdvdnav: Can't read name block. Probably not a DVD-ROM device.
libdvdnav:DVDOpenFilePath:findDVDFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO failed
libdvdnav:DVDOpenFilePath:findDVDFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP failed
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
libdvdnav: vm: faild to read VIDEO_TS.IFO
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 1.1.16.3 from http://xine.sf.net
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.10 for DVD access
libdvdread: Couldn't find device name.
libdvdnav: Can't read name block. Probably not a DVD-ROM device.
libdvdnav:DVDOpenFilePath:findDVDFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO failed
libdvdnav:DVDOpenFilePath:findDVDFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP failed
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
libdvdnav: vm: faild to read VIDEO_TS.IFO

I've tried switching  backend from xine to gstreamer and get same problem.  The only thing I have found doing a search is that this is caused when one has 3D effects enabled, but I don't.  I think this is an upstream bug, something  not to do with Pardus but with KDE or Phonon.  Anyway, I thought I'd post this here. I tried it in Fedora 11 using KDE 4.3.3 as well and same problem.

Lisa Marie
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 23:13:13 PM by Lisa » Logged
andyb
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 17:34:40 PM »

Hmmm...

All ok here, running KDE4.3.4

Tried in Dragon Mplayer and Kaffeine

Maybe a hardware problem?
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 17:36:28 PM »

Sorry, I'm laughing, Andy.  You're having problems with the other thing mentioned that I am not, and I'm having problems with this, that you are not.  So is life!  Grin
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 18:39:01 PM »

As I don't have a movie DVD, I can't test this. Angry
andyb
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 19:07:00 PM »

Yeah- and my car and my washing machine both broke down today!

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 19:54:10 PM »

Ouch!  I can only suggest posting your car and washing machine problems in the Pub section - who knows, maybe someone has a suggestion.  I hope you can get them repaired without much trouble.  My walk behind lawnmower recently broke, and I had no idea what was wrong with it, but that it  made a "clunk clunk" sound at the end of pulling out the starter cord.  Husband looked it over and has narrowed it down to a thrown rod.  Not a quick fix for sure. 

On topic, I just installed Kaffeine (it wasn't installed by default) and same thing as with Dragon Player.  It will play the audio, but there is no video showing.  I tried another movie disk, too.

Lisa  Marie
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 21:03:04 PM »

Maybe a
Code:
sudo pisi it --reinstall xine-lib gstreamer
in a Konsole will help Huh?
andyb
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 21:21:33 PM »

Car and washing machine both fixed- at huge expense.  Now we just need your DVD playing sorted!
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 23:23:25 PM »

Good to hear it, Andy. 

Thanks for suggestion, atolboo.  I tried it, but it didn't help.  I also did today's updates, which included coreutils, but didn't fix it.  I read about, and kept seeing things referred to as opengl, which in my case, would be mesa, as you know me, I do not use proprietary drivers for my  nVidia card.   What I did was revert the three packages : libdrm, mesa, xorg-video-nouveau to their default packages that I got from here:
http://packages.pardus.org.tr/pardus-2009/

This also gets rid of the messy boot up graphics I get that I referred to in my other bug report. 

Lisa Marie
andyb
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 09:33:25 AM »

Fantastic news- well done!
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 22:32:45 PM »

I found a movie DVD.  Grin
After switching back to nouveau.
Sysinfo reports: 2.1 Mesa 7.8.1-rc1
(and I am missing some of the nice visual features of KDE 4.3.4)
And I have no problem playing the movie DVD in  Dragon Player!!!! Cool
And this is with "pisi info libdrm mesa xorg-video-nouveau" :
Naam: libdrm, versie 2.4.15, uitgave 27, bouw 14
Naam: mesa, versie 7.6.1_rc1, uitgave 17, bouw 16
Naam: xorg-video-nouveau, versie 0.0.10_20090929, uitgave 9, bouw 12
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 18:29:40 PM »

Thanks for testing it out, atolboo! 

To make sure, last night I did more updates, the latest kernel ending in .34, and updated libdrm, nouveau, and mesa, and same thing occurred.  I also tested by switching from "use the default driver for the detected card", to "nouveau" under Display settings/configuration, rebooted, got the messy boot up graphics still, and also players would not show video, only sound.  I also read that this problem can be caused by PowerDevil, so I unticked "Let PowerDevil manage screen power saving" and changed CPU and System to "performance" under Power Management, but that didn't help.  I have a desktop, not a laptop and I always get confused by power management settings as they seem more directed to laptop users.   Maybe I can tweak some more here to see if it does anything.  But, that would only be a fix, as I can permanently solve it by reverting back to the default video installation packages.

Again, thanks for testing this.  Maybe it has more to do with my particular card, and/or my motherboard.
Regards, Lisa Marie
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 21:20:19 PM »

.......... the latest kernel ending in .34
I have
Naam: kernel, versie 2.6.30.9, uitgave 128, bouw 34
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: