Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 02:49:30 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  News & Announcements
| | |-+  Pardus 2009.1 (release schedule)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pardus 2009.1 (release schedule)  (Read 6821 times)
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 20:19:56 PM »

Hello,

Latest stable release of the 2009 family, Pardus 2009.1 is ready ! You
can download this release from Pardus FTP servers;

* Multilanguage Installation image
  http://ftp.pardus.org.tr/pub/pardus/kurulan/2009.1/Pardus_2009.1_Anthropoides_virgo_International.iso

* Turkish and English Installation image
  http://ftp.pardus.org.tr/pub/pardus/kurulan/2009.1/Pardus_2009.1_Anthropoides_virgo.iso

* Turkish and English Live image
 http://ftp.pardus.org.tr/pub/pardus/calisan/2009.1/Pardus_Calisan_2009.1_Anthropoides_virgo.iso

Users of Pardus 2009 will automatically switch to 2009.1 with
tonight's package updates.

Pardus 2009.1 comes with the latest stable KDE release, enhanced
hardware support, bigger software archive with up to date packages such
as;

KDE 4.3.4
 Linux kernel 2.6.31.11
 OpenOffice.Org 3.1.1.5
 Mozilla Firefox 3.5.7
 Gimp 2.6.8
 Xorg 1.6.5
 Python 2.6.4

and many more in just one CD.

With the 2009.1 series, Pardus ISO files are generated as Hybrid
Images. The same Hybrid Image can be burned to a CD, DVD or dumped to a
harddisk like media, like a USB stick. More info can be found in the
README file next to ISO images.

For a smooth Pardus experience, please verify the checksum of the ISO
files after you have downloaded, and if you will burn the images to
CD, use quality CD's and burn the CD in DAO mode with 16x speed.

Pardus Team thanks to you all who has developed, tested, translated
and supported Pardus.

--
 Onur Küçük                                      Knowledge speaks,
 <onur.--.-.pardus.org.tr>                       but wisdom listens

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 20:49:37 PM »

And for the live CD in http://ftp.pardus.org.tr/pub/pardus/livecd/2009.1/ 
kondorv
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2010, 01:39:27 AM »

Very neat! Update was smooth - 173 pkgs and no breaks. Amazing! Without doubt, Pardus is the #1 KDE distro.

So, thanks to the devs!
Nergård
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2010, 08:10:08 AM »

If they have released 2009.1 why they not put it here?
http://www.pardus.org.tr/eng/download/

Seems like the old 2009.
(saturday 8.10 am)
kondorv
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 12:19:47 PM »

You have to use the links provided by Michiel, above.

I guess the webpage will be updated soon.

If 2009 is installed,  Just use pisi and it will upgrade as an update.
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 01:18:03 AM »

I upgraded to 2009.1 this afternoon (via the Dutch repositories), and like kondorv's experience, my upgrade was smooth -- except for one minor glitch. I used the # pisi upgrade command from the Konsole. 173 packages were upgraded [226.5 MB]; I would estimate that the download and installation took about 80 minutes using our home DSL connection.

When the update was complete, I ran into a minor problem. I logged out of my account in order to restart the computer (because of the kernel upgrade to 2.6.31.11), but immediately after logging out, the PC froze / hung up with a black screen and a blinking cursor. I waited several minutes but nothing was happening -- no command line prompt appeared, and no response to the Ctrl-Alt-Backspace command. I finally decided that my only option was to press the Reset button. I did that and the computer rebooted as normal; a GRUB entry for the new release and kernel (Pardus 2009.1 Anthropoides virgo (Kernel 2.6.31.11)) had already been added automatically. I'm not sure whether this hang-up is a bug, is something specific to my hardware, or whether I might have unintentionally done something to cause it (although I don't think I did) ...  

Congratulations and sincere thanks to the Pardus developers and everyone who helped with this new release!

P.S.

2009.1's codename is Anthropoides virgo, the scientific name for the Demoiselle crane. Some of these cranes live in eastern Turkey, and they undertake an incredible migration over the Himalayas in order to reach their wintering grounds:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demoiselle_Crane

There are some new wallpapers for this release, which you can get a glimpse of here:

http://blog.bluzz.net/pardus-2009-1-anthropoides-virgo-flies-in-the-sky/

You'll also see a new KDE splash screen (with a white Pardus leopard replacing the blue KDE logo), a new Network Manager applet icon, plus I'm sure that I'll discover many other new things as I explore.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 01:52:58 AM by kalwisti » Logged

Registered Linux User # 442201

Pardus 2011.2 (KDE 4.6.5, kernel 2.6.37.6)

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 11:19:53 AM »

...... I logged out of my account in order to restart the computer
Did you choose [1] Logout or [2] Restart Computer in the attachment (Restart) bellow?
And happy discovering! Grin

* Restart.png (31.3 KB, 393x186 - viewed 120 times.)
Glitch

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 14:08:51 PM »

After I downloaded the turkish/english version I stumbled across a bit torrent link of it. 

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5282886/Pardus_2009.1_Anthropoides_virgo

Not many seeding it yet seems though.  Probably the direct download route is quicker if time is of high importance.

On a side note I upgraded all three of my systems with Pardus 2009 to 2009.1 with no problems aside from one machine needing to have the modified icons in the desktop folder relinked.  The other machines just have the standard icons so of course had no trouble.
aweber
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 14:41:30 PM »

Pardus 2009.1 is fabulous. Thank you to anyone who had a hand in it, you've got something great here. I was so excited after using I spent all night writing a Pardus review, http://bit.ly/8Lyg4R.
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2010, 14:46:17 PM »

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
Andreas
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2010, 14:59:49 PM »

Pardus 2009.1 is fabulous.

Yesterday I changed from Pardus 2008.2 to Pardus 2009.1

Very, very great distri and all works by me out of the box. Wink

Great compliment to the developers. Wink Smiley

Greetings
Andreas
Nergård
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2010, 15:57:09 PM »

It works fine to me also. I think now is the time to promote Pardus more on the international scene than before.
I think it deserve a place among the top ten in the Distrowatch list.
First step maybe could be a more updated English homepage, with little more info?
More similar to the Turkish one. Smiley
Andreas
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2010, 17:04:23 PM »

I think now is the time to promote Pardus more on the international scene than before.

Hello Nergard,

I and one friend of me will promote this year Pardus on this German Linux Tag  Wink

Regards
Andreas

Nergård
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2010, 17:16:31 PM »

Very nice. I often write to media, blogs etc..and give tip about Pardus. But I think will be more easy now when they got a live and installversion with 2009.1
And its seems very stabile so far compared with the old 2009. Smiley
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2010, 17:51:32 PM »

...... I logged out of my account in order to restart the computer
Did you choose [1] Logout or [2] Restart Computer in the attachment (Restart) below?

Hi, atolboo,

I chose [1]. Logout, thinking that it would take me back as usual to the KDM login manager, and from KDM I would choose to immediately restart the computer. That's when it froze at the black screen; I never made it back to KDM, and the computer did not respond to any keyboard commands.

So, in retrospect, option [2]. Restart Computer would probably have been the correct choice. I'm guessing the computer froze due to my error. If nothing else, other users may benefit from my dumb mistake.  Embarrassed  I will know better next time.

Using Reset was not a graceful exit, but it does not seem to have done any harm -- although I'm thinking now that it would be a good idea to run fsck on my hard disk to see if any sectors were damaged. (Well, I ran fsck on my drive using a Fedora 11 Live CD, and all the partitions showed as "clean" / OK. The Live CD also includes Palimpsest Disk Utility [ver. 0.3]; it ran a S.M.A.R.T. Self-test and my hard drive passed without any errors. So my /sdb seems to have survived my poor choice of exit method).

Thanks for your help,
=david
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 00:52:30 AM by kalwisti » Logged

Registered Linux User # 442201

Pardus 2011.2 (KDE 4.6.5, kernel 2.6.37.6)

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: