Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 06:53:36 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Installing Pardus
| | |-+  [solved] pardus grub not detecting other OS (dual boot)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [solved] pardus grub not detecting other OS (dual boot)  (Read 4115 times)
bbmidi

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2010, 12:36:59 PM »

Hi guys and gals,

First time here. After trying out Pardus 2009 in virtualbox i decided to put it in it's own partition in my laptop. The install went fine however upon first reboot grub doesnt show up Linux mint 8. Looking at the grub/menu/lst sure enough there is no entry of LM8. I'm kindof used to have it done automatically whenever i install other debian distros. I believe i have to add LM8 entry by hand?? or i like to know if there is on-the-fly method to do so. Below is my /etc/fstab and grub/menu/lst entries:

Code:
#Â See the manpage fstab(5) for more information.
#
#   <fs>             <mountpoint>     <type>    <opts>               <dump/pass>
LABEL=PARDUS_ROOT    /                ext4      defaults,user_xattr,noatime 0 0
LABEL=PARDUS_HOME    /home            ext4      defaults,user_xattr,noatime 0 0
/.swap               swap             swap      sw                   0 0
proc                 /proc            proc      nosuid,noexec        0 0
sysfs                /sys             sysfs     defaults             0 0
debugfs              /sys/kernel/debug debugfs   defaults             0 0
tmpfs                /dev/shm         tmpfs     nodev,nosuid,noexec  0 0
/dev/sda5            /mnt/sda5        ext3      noatime              0 0
/dev/sda6            /mnt/sda6        ext3      noatime              0 0
/dev/sda2            /mnt/sda2        ext3      noatime              0 0
default 0

#grub/menu/lst

gfxmenu /boot/grub/message
timeout 10
background 10333C

title Pardus 2009 [2.6.30.9-128]
root (hd0,6)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.30.9-128 root=LABEL=PARDUS_ROOT splash=silent quiet vga=0x317
initrd /boot/initramfs-2.6.30.9-128

title Pardus 2009 International
root (hd0,6)
kernel (hd0,6)/boot/kernel-2.6.30.1-123 root=LABEL=PARDUS_ROOT splash=silent quiet vga=0x317
initrd (hd0,6)/boot/initramfs-2.6.30.1-123

After completing the fresh install i did a pisi up -c system.base. No problem there. Then i did a pisi up and it fetched the required updates. I rebooted and after some time fiddling the desktop i experience a blackout of my desktop. Has anyone experience this after their first upgrade? I would like to hear what the Pardus experts can advise regarding this issue.

What is the official app used by Pardus folks to connect their 3G usb device? There is no 3g profile whatsoever in kaptan network setup, only wifi and eth0. If there is i would like to know. Searching the forum topics it seems like 3G usage in Pardus is still a hit-and-miss thing. I maybe wrong so i await the good folks thoughts. FWIW i was able to have kppp connect online. It may be 2nd nature to experience linux users but for newbies i dont think so. Something like the network manager in LM8 should make things fairly simple  Grin

« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 11:16:37 AM by Michiel » Logged
kondorv
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 16:00:45 PM »

Most of what you want is in SystemSettings. Click on the pardus. Network Mgr is right there.

Put a line in Boot Manager that points to the correct partition for Mint 8. It likely didn't pick it up since Mint 8 uses GRUBII and the config files are different. Or, you can boot into Mint 8 and reinstall GRUBII with a config for Pardus.

GRUB in Pardus picked up 6 OSes installed including one config'd with  LiLo.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 16:02:48 PM by kondorv » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 17:34:53 PM »

...... however upon first reboot grub doesnt show up Linux mint 8.
That's correct.
This is caused by the fact that LM is using GRUB 2 while Pardus uses GRUB Legacy.
I already made a manual how to add LM (or Ubuntu 9.10) to GRUB Legacy of Pardus.
It's in Dutch for this moment and I will make an English version of the manual.
But that will take some time.
The Dutch manual can be found >HERE<.
In the meantime Google translate can be your friend to help you further. Cheesy
bbmidi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 05:06:57 AM »

Hey guys thanks a lot for the replies.

I reinstalled grub2 in the LM mbr. That solved the non detection issue, no need for the dutch translation  Grin

@kondorv:

I dont know about your setup but on mine i really cant figure out how to make a 3g profile in network manager. There are only 2 profiles available, wifi and eth0. Not a dealbreaker but would be nice if there is one for 3G so kppp would take over on that profile.
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 09:46:43 AM »

Hi, atolboo,

I would just like to say "Thank you!" for your tip above on adding Mint 8 (and Ubuntu 9.10) to Pardus 2009.1's GRUB Legacy. It worked like a charm. Pardus's GRUB is controlling my MBR, and I added my freshly installed Mint to it. (I'm posting this from Mint).

I had read so many favorable comments about Mint that I wanted to try it out. However, I know very little about GRUB 2 and didn't entirely trust it to manage the MBR or properly detect my other two operating systems. (I wasn't sure that I could fix it if I ran into problems). I feel more comfortable with GRUB Legacy and have seen firsthand that Pardus is good at detecting / accommodating other OSes.

My new computer finally arrived, and I've been working on setting it up. So far I'm very pleased with it; I have installed Pardus 2009.1, PCLinuxOS 2009.2 (KDE 4.3.4 version) and Mint 8 "Helena." There is still some free space on the hard drive; I was considering the possibility of installing a fourth distro (either Fedora 12 or Scientific Linux), but I decided that three is enough for the time being.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge,
=david

Registered Linux User # 442201

Pardus 2011.2 (KDE 4.6.5, kernel 2.6.37.6)

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 14:53:43 PM »

Thanks for your feedback and the new GRUB 2 Wikipage is >HERE<
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 17:33:29 PM »

Doing a search, I found an answer to what I have been dealing with in the past week.  I recently ordered Pardus 2009.2 and as I like to try out other distros I also ordered Katonix for 64 bits KDE 3.5.10 desktop.  Debian Katonix uses Grub2, which was new to me.  I chose to let  Katonix have the Grub menu in the MBR.  The entries that worked were Debian-based Hymera Gnome, as well as Windows XP, but whenever I clicked on my Pardus entry, it would say, "VGA 0x31a is deprecated, Use set gfxpayload=1280x1024x16,1280x1024 before linux command instead.  Error: file not found"  I fiddled with pressing e to edit the Pardus grub entry from  vga=x to set gfxpayload=x, but nothing worked, and I kept getting, "file not found".  I even tried vga=791 to no avail.  I didn't understand where I was to add "set gfxpayload=x".  And then I tried editing Katonix's /etc/grub/default file, and doing "update-grub" but that didn't work.  It seemed Grub2 didn't like initrd (hd1,5)/boot/initramfs-2.6.31.13-131
Code:
title Pardus 2009.2 Geronticus eremita
root (hd1,5)
kernel (hd1,5)/boot/kernel-2.6.31.13-131 root=LABEL=PARDUS_ROOT splash=silent quiet vga=0x31a
initrd (hd1,5)/boot/initramfs-2.6.31.13-131
So then edited Pardus' grub from the other distro and removed the (hd1,5) from that line, and then it would boot to Pardus, but I would get this error:
"Bar 6: address space collision on of device [ ..."
It would boot after this error with verbose-only output before it got to the graphical log-in screen.
 So, I did a reinstall of my three Linux distro's, and installed Pardus grub to the MBR.  It didn't find Katonix.  So, I reinstalled all three again, letting Hymera install Grub to the MBR,  and Hymera did find Katonix as well as Pardus and both entries work, but I'd rather not have Hymera as my Grub menu.  So, I appreciate this how to written by atolboo on how to do this.  
I wonder if Pardus is going to switch to Grub2?  Katonix is using the beta version.

Regards, Lisa Marie
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 18:32:51 PM by Lisa » Logged
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 17:42:38 PM »

I read over this ubuntu bug report and did a command as written by poster at bottom of bug report and get this:
Code:
dmesg | grep BAR
[    0.141007] pci 0000:05:07.0: BAR 6: address space collision on of device [0xd4000000-0xd401ffff]
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 21:14:31 PM »

So, I did a reinstall of my three Linux distro's, and installed Pardus grub to the MBR.  It didn't find Katonix.
Did you try to add the Katonix Grub2 menu entry into the GRUB Legacy of Pardus as described in THIS WIKI 

I wonder if Pardus is going to switch to Grub2?
I did read somewhere that Pardus is not going to use Grub2 as it is still not stable enough.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 21:44:14 PM »

Yes, atolboo, that is why I posted to say thank you for the how-to Wiki you created.  It helped me!  As usual, I always write more than necessary, but I wanted to be a bit specific in what I was experiencing in case others had the same errors or problems, such as Grub2 telling me to "set gfxpayload...".  I still don't know where in the world I was supposed to add this.  So, I'm relieved to have my Pardus Grub menu back.
Regards, Lisa Marie
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 21:55:39 PM »

Thanks for clearing the misunderstanding.
And as soon as Pardus is going to use Grub2, I will make a Grub2 chapter in the Wiki.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: