Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 21:48:26 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  kmix crashes and no kmix applet in panel [solved]
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: kmix crashes and no kmix applet in panel [solved]  (Read 2579 times)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2009, 02:55:31 AM »

Hi all,

I may have to report this as a bug, but I wanted to see if you could help with this problem - no hurry as usual, it is late.

I still have problems with the latest kernel update of 30.5-126 and no tty1 (black screen with blinking cursor) and I had to reopen the bug that was listed in the other thread.  So, I am using the default kernel 30.1-123 currently with no updates (yap, I reinstalled today  Cheesy  ).  But either way I have no sound as I had no sound after I did many of the updates, including pulse audio.  Kmix does not show up in bottom panel where it usually is (the speaker icon) and if I click on Multimedia>Kmix sound mixer, is starts the icon bouncing, and shows Kmix program bar in panel, then the icon disappears as well as the kmix program bar - it crashes. 

I can't start it via command line either. 

Well, time to go to bed, just so you know there's no hurry on this.   Smiley

Regards, Lisa Marie
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 05:30:48 AM by Lisa » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 16:27:48 PM »

Maybe this is of any help?
System Settings > Multimedia
I have PulseAudio in the right-hand side of the screen.
After selecting PulseAudio, I can activate the Test button.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 16:52:55 PM »

Thanks, atolboo!  I tried that and no sound.  I also tested notifications sounds and nothing. 

I'm wondering if I just got a bad download of Pardus 2009 that could cause this problem.

I use a cmi8788 sound card.  I reinstalled Pardus 2008.2 and I get sound there upon a new install, but I couldn't see any difference in some of the commands I got to test sound.  I tried the following and got no sound:
" speaker-test -c2 -l5 -twa " trying also with sudo.  The test ran but no sound.
If I open pulse volume control it shows Null Output for output devices, and in Pardus 2008.2 it says Alsa.

I can't remember what I did to get this output:
Code:
Playback open error: -111,Connection refused
No protocol specified                       
XOpenDisplay() failed                       
ALSA lib pulse.c:275:(pulse_connect) *** PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection refused.
Is your sound server running?
see http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/Troubleshooting
If you think it's a bug, report it: http://bugs.pardus.org.tr

So I went to the troubleshooting wiki and didn't come up with much, except if I look over /var/log/messages there is no pulse or pulseaudio in the text, whereas with 2008.2 there are a few entries for pulseaudio. 

Earlier today I did do the pulseaudio update, anything that looked like sound and didn't need the new kernel.  Still no kmix. 

Will be doing more searching on the issue.  I'll probably end up submitting a bug report, but if it is due to a bad ISO download, then it is my problem.

Regards, Lisa

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 17:27:43 PM »

........but if it is due to a bad ISO download....
I don't think so but to exclude this, start from your installation-cd  and do a media check.
And then select Back (Terug) and Restart System.
(sorry, my picture is in Dutch) :'(
I'll probably end up submitting a bug report,
I think that's the best way to go.

* Media-check.jpg (42.49 KB, 1024x767 - viewed 61 times.)
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 19:56:09 PM »

Hi atolboo,

I checked the disk integrity again just to be certain, and it has no problems. 

Looks like Andreas submitted a bug somewhat like mine, but his friend is using a laptop whereas my problem is with my desktop.  It kind of makes me feel a bit better as I am not the only one with this problem.   Cheesy
My hat is off to the Pardus team working on all of these bugs. 

Regards, Lisa Marie

now, onto another bug using Konqueror  Wink
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 20:44:01 PM »

Looks like Andreas submitted a bug somewhat like mine,
Maybe it has the same chip for sound !
What's the link of the bug?
And/or you could leave a comment there with the cmi8788 sound card information.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 16:36:51 PM »

Hi atolboo,

The bug report that I saw recently posted doesn't have the same chipset or audio card, but it mentioned kmix doesn't start and no sound.

Ozan found an earlier bug the same as mine and joined ours together.

http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/show_bug.cgi?id=9927

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 20:44:11 PM »

Now at least you know that the problem isn't caused by one of your actions.
And is now known by the right people who eventually can solve the problem.
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 05:36:02 AM »

Yes, atolboo.

I'm listening to Suite for Jazz something or other by Pinchas and Zuckerman via SMPlayer, so I am pleased.  Ozan fixed the problem for us using the CMI8788 Oxygen HD audio card as can be found in the bug report.  I should say, it is fixed if you use kernel 30.5-126, which I am booted into at moment. Much appreciation to those that worked on the bug.

Regards, Lisa Marie
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 20:36:04 PM »

Following my update from 2009 --> 2009.1 the annoying pulseaudio troubles strike again, at least for me, everything seems to work, also you see the sound levels visually changing when changing the volume but NO sound, absolutely NO sound anymore on my previously error-free (that is including proper sound) Pardus system.

It only shows front speakers and Null output, somewhere it chooses the wrong output device or so?

Anyway, the previous problem had to do with the alsa-driver package, but now there is noting left to update, I will wait for some days whether a solution appears...

It is so quiet without sound...  :'( :'( :'(

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 21:53:48 PM »

Well don't know whteher it was just coincidence but I remember the only package I somehow chose to NOT upgrade was amarok, because the dependenceis were not met when I tried to upgarde only all desktop.kde packages.

However when I installed the packages mentioned here (which include amarok), and rebooted the system....GOD created sound again....pfewwwwwwwwww   Grin

Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 23:08:46 PM »

Your restored sound system deserves a piece of celestial music like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TfAyX8l5-g

listening to it now

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: