Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 02:53:00 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  SOLVED Problem with hal
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SOLVED Problem with hal  (Read 698 times)
csaenemy
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2010, 11:55:12 AM »

Yesterday, Pisi alerted me to the fact that there were 81 upgrades available. I had a quick look through the list and decided to proceed with all upgrades. Whilst the upgrading was taking place I loaded a word game using wine and proceeded to play as I have done hundreds of times before. When I finished playing I clicked the button to exit the game and found myself with a black screen with just the cursor showing. I tried to restore the GUI using what little knowledge I have, but eventually had to Ctrl-Alt-F1 to a command line and log out of Pardus. Upon reboot I discovered that my /media folder is empty except for an empty document ".hal-mtab".
It's not a major problem at the moment, as I can access all drives and partitions through /mnt.
Is it something that ought to be corrected, and if so how?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 10:02:37 AM by csaenemy » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 13:23:48 PM »

Upon reboot I discovered that my /media folder is empty except for an empty document ".hal-mtab".
This is normal. Wink
What else should be in /media Huh?
csaenemy
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 22:09:41 PM »

Previously my media folder contained links to my other drives. I have an NTFS drive which I had named WindowsJ (from an earlier setup) that contains mostly music and video files. When I used the Dolphin file manager the drive appeared in the pane to the left along with the other drives and partitions. If I clicked on WindowsJ in this left hand panel it would open the folder /media/WindowsJ. This folder no longer exists, and I am getting errors from JuK and KTorrent telling me so. As I said, it's not disastrous, I simply redirected them to /mnt/sda1 instead.
csaenemy
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 10:01:44 AM »

I think I may have found the answer in the ArchLinux Wiki, I suspect this also applies to Pardus:

"HAL mounts your volumes under /media/some_folder. To determine what some_folder should be it uses the label of a volume or, if the volume does not have a label, it uses the volume's type (eventually followed by a number if the directory already exists), for example: /media/disk, /media/disk-1 ..."

Since the last batch of updates my system automounts all my drives, where previously it was necessary for me to do this manually after each boot, therefore there would be no need for HAL to create the folders.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: