Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 10:40:50 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  General topics
| | |-+  A book about PiSi: "# pisi --howto"
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A book about PiSi: "# pisi --howto"  (Read 4720 times)
LinuxFanatic
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« on: January 20, 2010, 22:57:37 PM »

Hi altogether,

the German Pardus users community www.pardususer.de are proud to announce the first Book about PiSi titled "# pisi --howto".

This book is written by me, Gürkan Zengin. It includes detailed documentation about PiSi and many tutorials about building PiSi packages.

Download:
http://galerie.pardususer.de/displayimage.php?pos=-168
It's our first preview release ^^^ - the rest of it I'm going to finish by community work Wink

Regards,
Gürkan

German Pardus Linux Communtiy --> www.PardusUser.de
Andreas
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 05:31:52 AM »

Hello Gürkan,

I posted your great work also here  Wink

Greetings
Andreas
LinuxFanatic
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 20:08:54 PM »

Hey folks!

I've got good news:
We are going to translate this book into English! 
http://forum.pardususer.de/index.php?topic=1193.msg12353#msg12353

Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 20:18:53 PM »

Things can only get better  Cool Cheesy

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
Hendrikus Godvliet
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 13:15:38 PM »

This book is written by me, Gürkan Zengin. It includes detailed documentation about PiSi and many tutorials about building PiSi packages.

Regards,
Gürkan

Thank's Gürkan for the remarkable work you have done with this #Pisi How To#
I wil start to make a study of it, rightnow!

Vielen Dank für die bemerkenswerte Arbeit.
Ich würde zunächst eine Studie zu machen, RightNow!

PiSi wurde wie alle anderen Eingenentwicklungen des Pardus Betriebs-
systems gänzlich in der Programmiersprache Python geschrieben und ist
ein fester Bestandteil von Pardus GNU/Linux. Denn in Python entwickelte
Here my Dutch Python site http://sites.google.com/site/linpypar/Home

My first question about how to make a Pisi package:
Are we only able to make a package from a svn repositories or playgroundlist?
What to do when you have a program that's not in the svn repositories or playgroundlist.

Hendrikus Godvliet

« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 11:50:53 AM by Hendrikus Godvliet » Logged

Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 04:38:26 AM »

This book is very much appreciated, Gürkan.   Cheesy

Thanks for putting it together and sharing it with us!

Warm regards, Lisa Marie
ForeverLinuxUser
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 03:53:09 AM »

Thank you very much to Gürkan for all your hard work in writing this book and for translating it into English. I’m looking forward to reading it.
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 21:20:55 PM »

What to do when you have a program that's not in the svn repositories or playgroundlist.

Hendrikus Godvliet

As far as my little experience with the LXDE project PISi goes.

What was a good hint for  me (by Erdem Artan):

*Pick the source (tar.gz and so on) packages of the applications you want to pisify (what a nice word it is let's pisify something  Cheesy )

*Start with compiling in a test destination directory, e.g. in your /home/user directory (and use in most cases unless otherwise specified the well known compilation from source commands /configure make make install).

*This will show for you in which directories which type of files are stored upon compilation (so you will notice e.g. a /usr /lib/ and so on map in your destination directory being created upon compilation). Just browse through these fresh amde dirs and see which files are stored in which map. This information can then be used to configure your pspec.xml file in the correct way.

*The correct syntax for actions.py -the other main component of a PISI package- is much more complex especially when the application is compiled in a non-standard way. The wiki (english) gives lots of example commands that can be used in actions.py but I suggest you seek a compagnon to help you when you get stuck in this part.

I haven't read all of it yet but next to the wiki also the pisi cooking book announced in this thread provides you lots of background info.

It is also easier when you can use old pisi files, or rather old pspec.xml and actions.py files to see how the job was done previously. You can then just adjust things and play around based on the old pisi examples to get a bit familiar with things.

Hope these are useful hints from a pisifying novice like me    Grin

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
Hendrikus Godvliet
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 22:05:44 PM »

Hendrikus Godvliet

As far as my little experience with the LXDE project PISi goes.

What was a good hint for  me (by Erdem Artan):

*Pick the source (tar.gz and so on) packages of the applications you want to pisify (what a nice word it is let's pisify something  Cheesy )

*Start with compiling in a test destination directory, e.g. in your /home/user directory (and use in most cases unless otherwise specified the well known compilation from source commands /configure make make install).

*This will show for you in which directories which type of files are stored upon compilation (so you will notice e.g. a /usr /lib/ and so on map in your destination directory being created upon compilation). Just browse through these fresh amde dirs and see which files are stored in which map. This information can then be used to configure your pspec.xml file in the correct way.

*The correct syntax for actions.py -the other main component of a PISI package- is much more complex especially when the application is compiled in a non-standard way. The wiki (english) gives lots of example commands that can be used in actions.py but I suggest you seek a compagnon to help you when you get stuck in this part.

I haven't read all of it yet but next to the wiki also the pisi cooking book announced in this thread provides you lots of background info.

It is also easier when you can use old pisi files, or rather old pspec.xml and actions.py files to see how the job was done previously. You can then just adjust things and play around based on the old pisi examples to get a bit familiar with things.

Hope these are useful hints from a pisifying novice like me    Grin

Thanks Michiel

You can follow my Dutch Pisi package research on http://sites.google.com/site/pisipackages/

let's pisify something  Cheesy )
let's Do it! Cheesy )

Hendrikus 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 22:08:27 PM by Hendrikus Godvliet » Logged

LinuxFanatic
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 22:13:37 PM »

Hi altogether  Smiley

Thank at all for your feedbacks!  Cheesy

This book is maybe not a > perfect < book. But it is a first step for making development of PiSi packges easier for everyone.

I'm planing to finish it until June/July 2010. The English translation will be released later (because by community-work Wink ).

Regard,
Gürkan

Hendrikus Godvliet
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 22:25:26 PM »

Hi altogether  Smiley

Thank at all for your feedbacks!  Cheesy

This book is maybe not a > perfect < book. But it is a first step for making development of PiSi packges easier for everyone.

I'm planing to finish it until June/July 2010. The English translation will be released later (because by community-work Wink ).

Regard,
Gürkan

Hello Gürkan

On http://forum.ubuntu-nl.org/andere-distributies/even-een-uitstapje-pardus-2009-1-beta/msg535972/
you can read the responses of enthusiastic Ubuntu users who have installed Pardus:

If there was more software (and an official Gnome edition), I do not use Ubuntu, but Pardus.
Agree. It seems not so hard to be self-pisi packages, but a good how-to, I could not find.
Have some pisiyap tampered with, but that did not work. Also on the Pardus forums is little information.
If they pick it must be a topdistro.
I hope that a good howto (or program) is to make packages self-PISI ('m not so self at home), but I found the software for my major.

What's the point, people even Ubuntu user like Pardus. But they like to know how to make there own Pisi packages!

And the question is how can you make them. Your Pisi how to is a remarkable work a first step for making development of PiSi packges easier for everyone.

You can follow my Dutch Pisi package research on http://sites.google.com/site/pisipackages/

Hendrikus Godvliet

LinuxFanatic
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 22:47:22 PM »

Hi Hendrikus,

you can believe me it's not just a book about howto compiling PiSi build files from SVN.

Compiling PiSi packages by "sudo pisi build /path/to/pspec.xml" is not a real "work". Everyone can do this. But before that you need valid build files for the PiSi package: pspec.xml, actions.py, translations.xml

This book contains even more information. It describes the the easiest way how to write PiSi build files from A to Z by lots of examples.

The PiSi build files on the SVN server are done by people who knows PiSi. My intention with this book is to "show/teach" others who don't now anything about PiSi and programming ...

Hope you understand, what I'm trying to explain ^^^ (sorry for my bad English).

Regards,
Gürkan

Hendrikus Godvliet
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 22:56:42 PM »

Hi Hendrikus,

you can believe me it's not just a book about howto compiling PiSi build files from SVN.

Compiling PiSi packages by "sudo pisi build /path/to/pspec.xml" is not a real "work". Everyone can do this. But before that you need valid build files for the PiSi package: pspec.xml, actions.py, translations.xml

This book contains even more information. It describes the the easiest way how to write PiSi build files from A to Z by lots of examples.

The PiSi build files on the SVN server are done by people who knows PiSi. My intention with this book is to "show/teach" others who don't now anything about PiSi and programming ...

Hope you understand, what I'm trying to explain ^^^ (sorry for my bad English).

Regards,
Gürkan

Gürkan

First i have to say again  "many thanks for your efforts with your Pisi How to book"
Zuerst muss ich einmal sagen "vielen Dank für Ihre Bemühungen mit Ihrem Pisi How to buch"

Your further explanation is very helpful and enlightening
Ihre weitere Erklärung ist sehr hilfreich und aufschlussreich

Hendrikus Godvliet

LinuxFanatic
Pardus Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 23:00:01 PM »

You'r welcome! :-)

I'll try to answer your questions as good as I can ^^^  Wink

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 13:55:20 PM »

And this starts at page 84.

@LinuxFanatic
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: