Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 20:41:04 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  (SOLVED)internet connection
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: (SOLVED)internet connection  (Read 2308 times)
jan37
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2010, 21:05:56 PM »

(SOLVED)
The wizard asks for "profile name"(using the "live"cd, 2009.1)
What is this?
Perhaps you could direct me to a site that holds my hand while explaining all the options and terms.
My ISP only has MS trained people and any word not in the MS language is out of their reach (they are very nice and try to help a much as possible)
BTW what is the name of the gorgeous mountain in the background of the wall paper (with yellow sunflowers in the foreground)

-----

EDIT
I saw "     heimdall" post
but since his use of eth0 did not lead to a working connection I thought that I also needed some more explanation
Thanks
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 03:40:02 AM by jan37 » Logged
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 21:50:10 PM »

Hi, jan37,

I'm away from my Linux box at the moment, but I will try to write down some specific steps for you this evening. I tried out the 2009.1 Live CD last night, so I know what you're talking about ...

It worked fine for me. We have a DSL connection at home and I asked the system to use the Ethernet card (the computer's only option). If I remember correctly, I just typed in "Ethernet" for the profile name and proceeded from there.

I think that once you have named the profile, you have to choose the Connection Method / Protocol. (In my case, it was DHCP). If you have a 56K dial-up modem connection, I might not be able to help you much.

There is a small button labelled "Apply" (or "Test" or something similar). I clicked on that button, and after a few seconds, the system found my Ethernet card and automatically connected to the Internet. It wasn't difficult ... Again, I'm relying on my (faulty) memory, so I'll check tonight and post back for you. 

Re: The mountain:
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that is the famous Mount Ararat:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Ararat

I trust that someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

HTH,
=david

Registered Linux User # 442201

Pardus 2011.2 (KDE 4.6.5, kernel 2.6.37.6)

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 21:56:23 PM »

Perhaps you could direct me to a site that holds my hand while explaining all the options and terms.
It's at http://en.pardus-wiki.org/Pardus:Installation2009#Network_selection   Grin
It's the same for the live and installation version.
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 22:20:42 PM »

profile name could be anything you want your connection be named to like your internet provider or just the word "internet" or whatever as far as I remember

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
jan37
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 20:34:59 PM »

Many thanks to all
Michiel
I used "jan" which did not work.
It looks as though one has to use a word that appears in the device listing.such as "etho"

atolboo
That wiki was what I should have looked at first.
I have the wiki for the 2008 version but it does not use the term "profile"
This word (profile) seems to have many meanings in the computer world
(btw I think the way that info is presented (re : internet connection) in the 2008 wiki is clearer)
kalwisti
Thanks. I thought it might be but couldn't find the identical photo in google.
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 21:31:09 PM »

Hi, jan37,

I just read your reply. Sorry to hear that the problem is not yet solved ... Please take a look at the mini-tutorial below and see if it helps you any. (I wrote it up last night but didn't have time to post it).

I think that the link atolboo provided to the Wiki should give you a good start at configuring your Internet connection with the Kaptan Desktop [Wizard]. You will reach that portion of the configuration process several steps in, after you have selected a keyboard, folder view style, etc.

I suggest that you take your best guess at Internet configuration using the Kaptan Desktop. When you finish the initial setup, if your Internet connection is not working, don't panic. Try the procedure below, and with a bit of luck, you will be able to get online with the Live CD.

==========

If your Internet Connection profile was not saved during your initial setup with the Kaptan Desktop [Wizard], or is not working, try this:

a. Click on the Network Manager applet. (It is in the taskbar, at the bottom of your screen).

b. The applet may be displaying a message that says "No Active Connection" (or something similar -- I didn't write this down) with a yellow warning triangle. Don't worry; just continue with the steps below.

c. Click on the applet's Open Network Manager button.

[Note: The steps below are for setting up a connection using a wired Ethernet card. I do not have any experience configuring a wireless connection, since I don't have wireless capability at home].

d. (Now you will be repeating the same steps that the Kaptan Desktop walks you through when you first start up the Live CD). Click on the Create Profile drop-down button and select the Ethernet - eth0 option.

e. In the pop-up window, type a name in the Profile Name box. I simply called my profile "Ethernet Card," but as Michiel pointed out, you can name it whatever you wish.

f. In the Network Settings section, choose Use DHCP by clicking the radio button beside it. (I'm guessing this is what you want if you have a typical DSL or cable Internet connection).

g. In the Name Servers section (a bit farther down in the dialog window), choose Default by clicking the radio button beside it.

g. 1. See my attached snapshotA for a screenshot of this configuration window. (I apologize that it is rather dark, but I chose the "Elegance" theme when I set up the Live CD session, without thinking ahead that I would need to take some screenshots).

h. When you finish these steps, click on the Apply button. Wait patiently a few seconds.

i. A new window will pop up; see my attached snapshotB for a screenshot.

j. Put a checkmark in the empty box next to your [Profile Name] Ethernet jack icon.

k. After a few seconds, you should see a system message that says "Connecting ..."

l. Then you should see a green checkmark appear, with the message: "Connected: 192.168.1.33" [or whatever your relevant IP address is].

m. You should now have an active Internet connection. If you look down at the Network Manager applet in the taskbar, you should see it partially illuminated, and below the Earth's sphere, you will see little green and red LEDs blinking.

HTH. Good luck,
=david

* snapshotA.png (53.43 KB, 550x432 - viewed 164 times.)

* snapshotB.png (26.51 KB, 550x432 - viewed 164 times.)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 21:36:12 PM by kalwisti » Logged

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 21:48:37 PM »

I do not have any experience configuring a wireless connection,
For a wireless connection have a look >HERECheesy
jan37
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 03:01:03 AM »

kalwisti
THANKS
your clear and beautifully written directions WORKED
As you can see I am using Pardus to make this post

I had previoiusly used a layout with no bottom panel and had failed to see the earth sphere.
I have a celeron 2 gig cpu and 1gig of ram and I find this live cd to be slow to load
I believe that part of my problem was that  I did not wait long enough after  clicking on a button
Your repeated advice to "WAIT was very relevant for me.
Now I have to try the install cd!
Many thanks
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 06:17:21 AM »

Hi, jan37,

You're very welcome. I'm glad my directions helped you get online. See, sometimes patience is a virtue.  Smiley

Yes, I agree with your impression that the Live CD is sluggish. My system specs are very similar to yours (mine are in my signature file below) and it takes quite a while for the Live CD to load -- and even afterwards, the response times are slow. However, this is typical of Live CDs, since a CD-ROM drive is much slower than even the slowest hard disk.

I can guarantee that if you install Pardus to your hard drive, things will speed up considerably. I'm pretty happy with the speed of Pardus and KDE 4 on my computer. I wouldn't say that its performance is snappy/zippy, but is more than acceptable for average tasks, IMHO.

I have not experienced freezes or lockups. The one thing I've noticed is that under certain conditions, the cursor (or tool tip) will quiver or vibrate while waiting for something to load. It's not bad, but to me it's a sign that my integrated video card (a ProSavage something from around 2000-2001) is close to being maxed out. I think that video card is the weakest link in my hardware chain ... 

yraghavendra

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 08:20:30 AM »

for some networks,
                   gateway address has to be given by the corresponding phone network mask and address should be given then go to the address provided by the phone network officer like http://192.168.1.1 for dsl rooter then configure there through as guidlines given by the phone network. i have tried it worked very well.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: