Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 16:45:22 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  New with questions
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New with questions  (Read 3681 times)
ForeverLinuxUser
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2010, 04:53:12 AM »

I just discovered Pardus after using Linux for about threes years. So far I've just looked at Pardus with the 2009.1 Live CD. It looks like a very professional, polished, serious Linux distro. I also read the reviews at Distrowatch and I've been reading posts at the English Pardus Forum.

Ok, so I could be wrong but the impression I got reading about Pardus is that a lot of the apps need to be compiled. It seems like Pardus is excellent at being user friendly but falls down a bit on having many of the apps a creative person might need or want.

So, before installing Pardus I need to ask if Pardus has an rt kernel and Audacity, Rosegarden, Cinelerra, Cinepaint, Lives and WinFF. I'm very happy to see Pardus already has Blender and GIMP and ext4 because those are essential for what I do. Thanks for any help
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 05:54:45 AM »

Hi, ForeverLinuxUser,

I just checked two repos (the "official" repo [pardus-2009] and the contributed repo [contrib-2009]) and looked for the packages you mentioned. The results are listed below.

I should also mention that there is a "testing" repo which is experimental and for adventurous souls. I don't have that repo enabled, so I didn't search it ... It's possible that some of the missing apps you want might be there. Hopefully someone who has this repository enabled will report back on what they found.

Available:

audacity 1.3.8
blender 2.49b
cinelerra 2.1_20091024
gimp 2.6.8
lives 1.0.8
kernel-module-headers-rt 2.6.29.6_23
kernel-rt 2.6.29.6_23

Missing:

cinepaint
rosegarden
winff

HTH,
=david   

Registered Linux User # 442201

Pardus 2011.2 (KDE 4.6.5, kernel 2.6.37.6)

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW
ForeverLinuxUser
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 08:37:28 AM »

Thanks kalwisti. Pardus is looking better to me now.
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 10:13:59 AM »

and there is also kdenlive, IDJC and Ardour to name some other well-known multimedia-apps,
Also Icecast streaming server package is available.

the "app-gap" is being closed progressively over the last year within the Pardus user community, there are also several packages in user (unofficial) repo's like Chrome, Chromium, Songbird, etc etc

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 10:26:15 AM by Michiel » Logged

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
Andreas
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 10:49:02 AM »

@ ForeverLinuxUser

And in my/our repo you find some nice packages also too: http://pchilfe-juergens.de/PISI-Pakete/

Greetings
Andreas
Nergård
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 12:04:15 PM »

2009.1 works very fine for me in my home PC.
I got another PC with Vista, I hade some thoughts to upgrade that one to Windows 7.
But I will replace Vista with Pardus 2009.1 instead. Smiley

Good work.
Nergård
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 15:26:50 PM »

Now I am done with replacing Vista with Pardus. I have tryed Linux on that Dell  before, but it have always been trouble with the ATI-drivers. (Ubuntu)
So it are fun that Pardus 2009.1 have no problem with it,
ForeverLinuxUser
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 09:13:34 AM »

Thanks for your help Michiel, Andreas and Nergård.

I forgot to ask about converters for audio and video files and also Celtx. Is Celtx in the Pardus repos yet?

Ok, so I've decided to install Pardus at some point. If not 2009.1 then 2010. I have a problem finding distros that have ext4 and also support my old ATI video card. It's an ALL-IN-WONDER PRO 128 from 2001. The only distros that I've found that support my video card and have ext4 are Pardus, Mandriva and OpenSUSE. It looks like Pardus is the best one of the three.

Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 09:16:42 AM »

The only distros that I've found that support my video card and have ext4 are Pardus, Mandriva and OpenSUSE. It looks like Pardus is the best one of the three.

no doubt  Grin

Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 09:17:29 AM »

and there is also Audacity which can do quite some audio related jobs I guess, but

Celtx Offers Free Pre-production for Your Multimedia Content Many of us are increasingly working with multimedia online, including video and audio applications for everything from podcasts to video tutorials. While well-known tools such as Audacity and Blender can help you deliver slickly produced online audio and video content, really good producers make use of pre-production tools before they even start recording. Celtx is a free, open-source multimedia pre-production application that is very popular for organizing and scripting everything from screenplays, to audio/visual tutorials, to webcasts. You can download it here for Windows, Mac and Linux, and take advantage of an accompanying online Studios environment to collaborate with others on multimedia pre-production. Samuel Dean [2009-09-02]

There are several problems with Celtx never mentioned in the article. For one, you must be connected to the Internet for Celtx to work. It is not a free-standing writing tool. Which is partly understandable, since Celtx was intended to be a promotional tool for their for-pay online content management service. But it's still inconvenient.

Also, the formats provided with Celtx are very limited and can't be changed without major programming. For instance, an audio play group wants to have individual actor's lines numbered in the script, and the script has to conform to the standard screenwriter's format so the script will time out properly to about one minute of audio per page. You can't do that in Celtx without cutting and pasting between formats, which is an absolute pain.

On the positive side, Celtx permitted the creation of a "portable" version of Celtx which can reside on a USB flash drive, and which can run in any Windows computer without having to install it. Its supplemental features such as detailed character descriptions and backgrounds are superb, and something many for-pay screenwriting programs do not include.

I wouldn't mind paying a modest fee for Celtx if they would unchain the program from the Internet and include tools for modifying script formats. But I don't think that will happen.

Having read this isn't Ardour http://www.ardour.org/  the best choice? It has become available as a PISI package quite recently. Use it with a realtime kernel (kernel-rt)

Ardour on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-GSKglsDkg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_R7ptcpE68
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMFSFmfTSMA
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 09:25:57 AM by Michiel » Logged

Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 09:29:57 AM »

This is also a nice one on multimedia, a digital synthesizer ZynAddSubFX
Found it in a Polish user repo:
http://info.wsisiz.edu.pl/~szymank0/doku.php?id=paczki:index

PISI downlaod:
http://forum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1596.0;attach=998

* zyn2.png (55.35 KB, 608x367 - viewed 57 times.)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 09:33:07 AM by Michiel » Logged

ForeverLinuxUser
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 10:04:43 AM »

Thanks for your help Michiel. That's true, Celtx is not the best program for writing plays and movie scripts. The one I like the best though, only runs in windows, and Celtx is really the only one for Linux so I'm stuck with Celtx.

I haven't looked into Ardour but it looks like it's more of a synthesizer then something I can enter notes into as one does with Rosegarden.  I write music with a classical sound to it so I can't really use an electronic sound. Something like Cakewalk would be great for Linux.  

Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 11:56:54 AM »

Oh don't mistake Ardour for that syntesizer program called ZynAddSubFX.

Please take a look at http://www.ardour.org and note the features and that it is available for Linux aand OS X (not for Windows, are you really dependant on Windows?

Whilst Ardour is more for recording (multi-track) and editing, there are also music notation tools in linux,a  popular one is http://www.lilypond.org/

..and it is also in the main Pardus repo:

http://packages.pardus.org.tr/pardus-2009/lilypond-2.12.2-9-2.pisi

as well as it's graphical user interface Lilycomp:

LilyComp a graphic note-entry utility for LilyPond, requires Python and Tkinter

http://packages.pardus.org.tr/pardus-2009/lilycomp-1.0.2-4-2.pisi

LilyComp is a graphical note entry program for use with the LilyPond music typesetting program. I am in no way connected with LilyPond, so do not blame them for the quality of this program. This program was written to speed up the creation of lead sheets. It just enters notes and rests with the indicated duration. Do not expect to enter anything too fancy, although a couple of other common items like ties, slurs, and measure bars are supported as well. LilyComp is not like Rosegarden or NoteEdit. Think of LilyComp as the number pad on your keyboard; it is just for quick data entry.

The target user of LilyComp would be someone who knows a little music notation, but is not an expert. I play accoustic guitar, so I am more interested in the chords and note timing than the note pitches. I have difficulty transcribing a lead sheet from other more complicated sheet music quickly. If the music is in C Major I am quick enough, but add four sharps, and I slow down a lot. The idea with LilyComp is that you do not need to know hardly anything. You just look at the sheet music, find the corresponding note on the LilyComp window, and push the button. I can extract a melody from a complicated score in a few minutes using this technique.

The notes may be excessively notated (lots of commas or apostrophes) because they are all absolute (\relative is not used.) Likewise, the duration is always included even if the previous duration is the same. I do this so that I can cut and paste fearlessly. I don't have to worry about changing the duration or octave of a note accidentally.

LilyComp is written in pure Python. If you care to do so, it is very trivial to add clefs or ledger lines if you need more. I use English notation (C# = cs); if you do not use that notation you can change a pair of variables near the top of the script to redefine the default behaviour.

Also, in case you are wondering, the name LilyComp is the combination of LilyPond and Composer. As I was programming the first version, I kept thinking of it as my "LilyPond composer", so when it came time to save the file I just typed lilycomp.py. Now that I am releasing this for other people to use, I wish I had picked something catchier. Smiley

By the way, free use of this software is granted under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). See the LICENSE file in the distributed package for details.

http://lilycomp.sourceforge.net/

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 12:05:29 PM by Michiel » Logged

ForeverLinuxUser
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 03:40:37 AM »

I didn't know about LilyComp. I'll look into Ardour and LilyComp and see if I can use them.

BTW do you know when Pardus 2010 will be released? If I install 2009.1 now will I have to do a clean install of 2010 or can I upgrade online to 2010? Thanks for all your help Michiel.
Andreas
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 07:14:32 AM »

BTW do you know when Pardus 2010 will be released?

Hello,

you can read it by German pardususer-community here  Wink

Greetings
Andreas
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: