Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 01:03:20 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Installing Pardus
| | |-+  Install on logical partition
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Install on logical partition  (Read 1831 times)
Fox
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2010, 13:04:24 PM »

Hello,

is it possible to install Pardus on a logical partition?

I've enough disk space, but no more primary partitions. I get an error message that there are to many primary partitions when I try to install it. Can't find anything in the installation guide about it, but I must admit that it is not a normal situation.   Smiley
obnascar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 18:06:21 PM »

Some bios will not support more than 4 primary partitions or more than 4 operating systems. How many do you already have ?
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 19:41:03 PM »

is it possible to install Pardus on a logical partition?
Yes, you can install Pardus in a primary or logical partition. Grin

A hard disk can contain a maximum of 4 primary partitions.
If you want to have more than 4 partitions you can only to this as follows.
1. Create 3 primary partitions.
2. Create an extended partition which a size of the remaining disk space.
3. Inside the extended partition you can create an almost unlimited amount of logical partitions..

Some bios will not support more than 4 primary partitions or more than 4 operating systems.
A hard disk can't contain more than 4 primary partitions. This has nothing to do with the BIOS.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 20:01:34 PM by atolboo » Logged
Fox
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 21:38:37 PM »

Hallo Antoon,

I'm keeping you busy.  Wink

Yes, it's possible. I found out how to do it.
I made the partition I needed with a disk utility and then restarted the install program. I assigned the logical partition I made as Pardus system partition and the install program was happy. While I'm typing this Pardus is being installed on my other computer.

I think it's a mistake in the installation program that you get the error message that there are to many primary partitions, when you choose the install option "No, I'll partion my disk manually", instead of being offered to make a logical partition.

Groetjes,
Frank
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 21:58:58 PM »

I made the partition I needed with a disk utility
Which disk utility?

I think it's a mistake in the installation program that you get the error message that there are to many primary partitions
This means you had 4 primary partitions.
And in this case you can only change a primary partition into an extended partition.
If you think this a bug you can report  it at http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/ and chose Component: yali.
Fox
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 22:28:31 PM »

I made the partition I needed with a disk utility
Which disk utility?
DFsee

Quote from: atolboo
Quote from: Fox
I think it's a mistake in the installation program that you get the error message that there are to many primary partitions
This means you had 4 primary partitions.
And in this case you can only change a primary partition into an extended partition.
No, I had three primary partitions (windows takes up two and one for another OS) and two logical partitions with data like photos, MP3 files and other stuff.

If you think this a bug you can report  it at http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/ and chose Component: yali.
Ok, I'll try.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 23:36:03 PM »

No, I had three primary partitions (windows takes up two and one for another OS) and two logical partitions with data like photos, MP3 files and other stuff.
Ok, you had 3 primary partitions + 1 extended partition. That's the maximum allowed number.
And inside the extended partition there are the 2 logical partitions.
In this case you can only resize the partitions (including the extended partition) to make room inside the  extended partition for an(more) additional logical partition(s).
DFsee
Never heard of this one. One is never too old to learn. Grin
Fox
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 23:44:06 PM »

Ok, you had 3 primary partitions + 1 extended partition. That's the maximum allowed number.
And inside the extended partition there are the 2 logical partitions.
Yes, but also 30GB free space, so that's why I think the installation program should have offered to make a logical partition for Pardus.
obnascar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 14:48:59 PM »

This reply should not be off-topic but it may be considered "hijacking". But anyway I would like to make a comment on a situation that I have on two of my computers that may benefit or be of interest to other users.

I have two totally different computers, the only thing that is the same about them is the HD's. Both computers have (2) identical HD;s (500gb) and they are partitioned exactly the same.

One computer has four Linux distros installed on each HD, for a total of eight that I am booting.

The other computer has four distros installed on one of the HD's, but it will not let me add anymore than those four to the second HD. Now, what happened to the theory that one can have four partitions/OS's on each HD in this case ?

Again, I stress, all four of these HD's are all WD sata's, all are partitioned exactly the same......
Fox
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 23:23:41 PM »

Ok, I did.
http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/show_bug.cgi?id=12277
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: