Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 00:56:12 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Software
| | |-+  Amazon MP3 Downloads
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Amazon MP3 Downloads  (Read 2606 times)
brirus

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2010, 15:03:36 PM »

I'm needing to install the MP3 download program from Amazon in order to be able to purchase MP3s and download them, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it. The linux version of the program is only available as a .deb or .rpm file. Is there a way to convert these for use with Pardus 2009.1 or am I just out of luck? I can't seem to find and source for the program either. Any help would be very appreciated.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 16:16:46 PM »

The linux version of the program is only available as a .deb or .rpm file.
Can you give a link where these can be found
Andreas
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 16:17:33 PM »

The linux version of the program is only available as a .deb or .rpm file. Is there a way to convert these for use with Pardus 2009.1

Hello,

with the program rpm2targz you can convert a RPM-file to a tar.gz archive.

The package of rpm2targz you find in the repo.

I hope it will help you.  Wink

Greetings
Andreas
Andreas
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 16:19:51 PM »

Can you give a link where these can be found

Hello atolboo,

I found it for you here  Wink

Greetings
Andreas
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 18:59:43 PM »

Hi, brirus,

Although I realize that this does not directly help you with your Amazon MP3 program, I thought I'd mention a couple of alternative music sources you might be interested in exploring. These two are already Linux-friendly, so you don't have to install a special utility program to use them:

http://www.jamendo.com/en/
Jamendo [free]

- [Free] Registration required before downloading
- No DRM
- Users can preview music before downloading
- Available in .mp3 or .ogg format
- Many albums available, with a wide variety of genres

It takes some time to search for music and preview it, but I've found some interesting, high-quality music via Jamendo.

http://magnatune.com/
Magnatune

- Independent record label ("We're not evil")
- No DRM
- Users can preview music in MP3 format before deciding to purchase
- Variety of audio formats available: .wav, .flac, .mp3, .ogg
- Artists receive 50% of proceeds
- Buyers decide their own purchase price (typically from US $5 to $18 per album)

I've not yet purchased anything from Magnatune but have enjoyed browsing through their classical music section.

The Amazon MP3 downloader for Linux is a nice gesture on their part, but considering the variety of Linux package formats out there, I think they should make an effort to create a utility that is more "distro-agnostic" (i.e., that could be easily compiled from source using a few commands from a Terminal).

It might be worthwhile to contact Amazon Customer Service by e-mail to let them know that you're a Linux user who'd like to purchase music from them, but cannot because your distro's packaging format isn't supported. (I too would be interested in using it. Their .rpm package won't work with my other main distro [PCLinuxOS]; some PCLOS users have tried to get it working but haven't succeeded, AFAIK).

Registered Linux User # 442201

Pardus 2011.2 (KDE 4.6.5, kernel 2.6.37.6)

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 20:13:40 PM »

amazonmp3 depends on the boost library which is not yet available on Pardus.
Once it is, it should work on Pardus.
You should ask for the creation of a pisi package for boost.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 20:15:23 PM by PhiX » Logged

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
brirus

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 21:41:47 PM »

Wow! Thanks everyone for all the responses and suggestions. I'll try it all. How would I go about requesting the creation of a pisi package for "boost"? Thanks again for all the help.
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 22:22:36 PM »

Hi, brirus,

There is a "Wish List" section of this forum [see below], but the most effective / direct way is to request it via the Pardus developers' bugzilla, as outlined here:

http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=2664.0
"How to request pisi packages from developers." 4 May 2009.

[Done by using Pardus bugzilla. First, you need to register with bugzilla.]

I'm a relatively new Pardus user myself, so if this info is inaccurate, I hope one of our experts will step in and correct me.

http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?board=12.0
Wish list [Forum section]

HTH,
=david

Registered Linux User # 442201

Pardus 2011.2 (KDE 4.6.5, kernel 2.6.37.6)

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW
azra
Pardus Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 10:42:06 AM »

Another suggestion for the purchase of MP3s is to install Songbird from the repos. Songbird is an open music player very similar to Itunes based on Mozilla. With Songbird, you can directly purchase songs using the 7 Digital Store.

This is what I use and it works great  Smiley
brirus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 16:01:33 PM »

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I have submitted a bug report through Bugzilla about the possibility of including Boost in the repositories (Bug 12157). I have also checked out the other ideas everyone shared except using Songbird, which I will try as soon as I finish this post. It seems that the selection of MP3s available through some of these other services is not quite as extensive as Amazon, but they are impressive. Thanks again. You guys are great.
brirus

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 17:03:03 PM »

Hello everyone, the saga continues. I've downloaded the Songbird tar.gz from the Songbird homepage (1.4.3-1438) but can't seem to get it running. Way to many Gstreamer errors and warnings to list. I'm sure I'm just missing something. I've checked my installation of Pardus and it looks like I have all the gstreamer dependencies installed. I did have a quick look at the 7digital store, though, and that looks promising too. Would anyone have an idea why Songbird would be receiving so many errors? Thanks.
Andreas
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 17:06:44 PM »

I've downloaded the Songbird tar.gz from the Songbird homepage (1.4.3-1438) but can't seem to get it running.

Hello brirus,

you find one pisi of songbird and other nice programs in my/our repo:  Wink

http://pchilfe-juergens.de/PISI-Pakete/pardus-2009/

Greetings
Andreas
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 17:16:48 PM by Andreas » Logged
brirus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 17:14:17 PM »

Great, Thanks very much. Installing now.
Andreas
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 17:15:54 PM »

Great, Thanks very much.

No problem.  Wink Smiley
brirus

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 15:49:39 PM »

Thanks Andreas. I did download and install Songbird from the link you provided but couldn't seem to get it to run. I'm still getting all the same error messages as when trying to run the program provided by the Songbird homepage. Here's a list of the errors I'm still receiving...

$ songbird

(songbird-bin:23987): GStreamer-WARNING **: Failed to load plugin '/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgsthdvparse.so': /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgsthdvparse.so: undefined symbol: _gst_debug_dump_mem

(songbird-bin:23987): GStreamer-WARNING **: invalid name template bwf_audio_sink_%u: conversion specification must be of type '%d' or '%s' for GST_PAD_REQUEST padtemplate

(songbird-bin:23987): GStreamer-WARNING **: invalid name template alaw_audio_sink_%u: conversion specification must be of type '%d' or '%s' for GST_PAD_REQUEST padtemplate

(songbird-bin:23987): GStreamer-WARNING **: invalid name template dv_dif_video_sink_%u: conversion specification must be of type '%d' or '%s' for GST_PAD_REQUEST padtemplate

(songbird-bin:23987): GStreamer-WARNING **: invalid name template jpeg2000_video_sink_%u: conversion specification must be of type '%d' or '%s' for GST_PAD_REQUEST padtemplate

(songbird-bin:23987): GStreamer-WARNING **: invalid name template mpeg_audio_sink_%u: conversion specification must be of type '%d' or '%s' for GST_PAD_REQUEST padtemplate

(songbird-bin:23987): GStreamer-WARNING **: invalid name template mpeg_video_sink_%u: conversion specification must be of type '%d' or '%s' for GST_PAD_REQUEST padtemplate

(songbird-bin:23987): GStreamer-WARNING **: invalid name template up_video_sink_%u: conversion specification must be of type '%d' or '%s' for GST_PAD_REQUEST padtemplate

(songbird-bin:23987): GStreamer-WARNING **: invalid name template vc3_video_sink_%u: conversion specification must be of type '%d' or '%s' for GST_PAD_REQUEST padtemplate

(songbird-bin:23987): GStreamer-WARNING **: Failed to load plugin '/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstsndfile.so': /usr/lib/libsndfile.so.1: undefined symbol: vorbis_version_string

(songbird-bin:23987): GStreamer-WARNING **: Failed to load plugin '/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstdeinterlace.so': /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstdeinterlace.so: undefined symbol: gst_video_format_parse_caps_interlaced

(songbird-bin:23987): GStreamer-WARNING **: Failed to load plugin '/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstlibvisual.so': /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstlibvisual.so: undefined symbol: gst_adapter_prev_timestamp

(songbird-bin:23987): GStreamer-WARNING **: Failed to load plugin '/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libresindvd.so': /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libresindvd.so: undefined symbol: gst_navigation_event_parse_command

(songbird-bin:23987): GStreamer-WARNING **: Failed to load plugin '/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstapp.so': /usr/lib/libgstapp-0.10.so.0: undefined symbol: gst_buffer_list_get_type
/opt/songbird/./songbird-bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/gst-0.10/gst/_gst.so: undefined symbol: gst_task_pool_get_type
Could not initialize GStreamer: Error re-scanning registry , child terminated by signal

What am I doing wrong here? Thanks again.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: