Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 16:34:47 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Hardware
| | |-+  [SOLVED] another resolution nvidia problem
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [SOLVED] another resolution nvidia problem  (Read 2400 times)
pastis
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2010, 22:46:24 PM »

Hello everybody,

I am trying to install pardus on my father's desktop pc. Everything is getting fine, but I'd like to get nvidia drivers working properly, because nv/nouveau are working slower in this computer and are messing with titlebars and some other stuf (3d disabled).
So the problem is I cannot get the resolution higher than 640*480. I already read some similar problems that were linked to updates, but this is a fresh install, and I even tried to reinstall nvidia 173 several times. Graphics card is geforce 5200. In display settings, 1280*1024 is proposed but even if I chose it it does'nt change anything. I also tried the posts that were suggesting to edit the xorg.conf adding a specific modeline, but it doesn't work too (and when I open display settings xorg.conf is remade as before).

Could anybody help me? I am using pardus 2009 anthropoides virgo.
Thank you all.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 20:50:28 PM by nougah » Logged
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 23:14:32 PM »

You have to choose nvidia as the driver in display-manager > Device > configure

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
pastis
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 02:50:52 AM »

>PhiX
I am not a Pardus guru, but I know how to select a driver in the Display manager Smiley

So my problem is that even with correct nvidia driver selected (in my case nvidia173), I cannot force the resolution (in the screen panel) to switch to 1280*1024, the nvidia driver which is working good and fast is sticking in low resolution (640*480), even after reboot. Xorg is saying 1280 is my preference, but it's not able to use it. Other drivers (nv and nouveau) have no problem with resolution, but cause graphic problems and are slower. My card is geforce 5200 and monitor is a Philips (I can check the model tomorrow if needed).

Any idea?
Andreas
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 06:42:33 AM »

So my problem is that even with correct nvidia driver selected (in my case nvidia173), I cannot force the resolution (in the screen panel) to switch to 1280*1024,

Hello nougah,

please try it with the program KRandRTray  Wink

Greetings
Andreas
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 10:39:25 AM by Andreas » Logged
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 15:58:03 PM »

Hi, nougah,

This is just a stab in the dark ... and you may have found this with a Google search (apologies if you've already seen it), but the link below has some good general info on Nvidia drivers which applies to any Linux distro:

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-nvidia.html
"Fedora Nvidia Driver Install Guide." Updated 2 Dec. 2009.

< Edit: The thread below -- although specific to Fedora -- includes a step which involves modifying your grub.conf file. According to leigh123linux (a Fedora User Forum administrator who knows his Linux well), if you do not blacklist the nouveau driver, the Nvidia driver will not load properly:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=204752
"F[edora] 12, F11 & F10 Nvidia driver guides."

This is just an educated guess on my part, but I'm adding it in case it might be of help to you. It probably wouldn't hurt to try it. >

I will be following this thread with interest because I recently ordered a new computer with an MSI motherboard which has an integrated Nvidia GeForce 6100 video card. (I'm still waiting for it to be delivered). Before making the decision, I searched quite a bit and it seemed that Linux support for this model was pretty good. However, I've run across some cases where users are having trouble properly configuring their cards ... I intend to install Pardus 2009.1 on the new PC, so I'll just have to wait and see whether the card is auto-detected and configured without much hassle.

HTH and Good luck,
=david
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 21:02:52 PM by kalwisti » Logged

Registered Linux User # 442201

Pardus 2011.2 (KDE 4.6.5, kernel 2.6.37.6)

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW
pastis
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 01:11:11 AM »

>Andreas

I tried it, but the problem is krandrtray doesn't even offer me this resolution. It just proposes 640*380 and something lower and only proposes 50hz as refresh rate (it should be 60) (The correct resolution is well selected in display manager)
So I really think I should add a modeline or something to xorg.conf to force resolution, but how do I do this in pardus? I already tried after reading of other distribution problem but I should have missed something because it had no effect. I read Pardus detects automatically the good xorg settings but in my case it didnt, so how could I force it, any other idea?

Monitor is philips 170s4FG, so it's quite an old model as the computer is.

> Kalwisti

I already tried it with nouveau and nv uninstalled so I don't think their existence have any influence. U should no worry with your new computer, it's the first time I have this kind of problem and I think it's because my hardware is quite old.
Andreas
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 05:30:23 AM »

it's the first time I have this kind of problem and I think it's because my hardware is quite old.

Hello nougah,

then I recommend, you should write a Bug directly here  Wink

Greetings
Andreas
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 10:32:33 AM »

then I recommend, you should write a Bug directly here  Wink
Before writing a report I have another suggestion which you can try.
I think the problem is caused by a faulty ID-chip inside the monitor and can be solved as follows:
Monitor is philips 170s4FG, so it's quite an old model as the computer is.
With the value taken from page 8 of this manual.
Goto System Settings > Display > Screens
and modify Output Properties - VGA to the following values:
Size: 1280X1024 (pull-down menu)
Refresh Rate: 60 Hz (pull-down menu)
Rotation: No Rotation
Activate Apply (green mark) and restart your your computer (= restart X server).
And hopefully you get the right resolution and/or you can now select this in KRandRTray
pastis
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 16:14:42 PM »

atolboo>

As I said, I already trying the output values in the screen panel with no effect. So Pardus seems to know these values are my preference but cannot use them, and krandtray doesn't even propose them, even when selected and applied in display manager.

So I will try some other stuff from other distribution and write a bug report.
Thank you all.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 17:38:58 PM »

As I said, I already trying the output values in the screen panel with no effect.
Did you activate the
Activate Apply (green mark)
after you made the changes  This is important for these changes to be saved in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
As a reference below in the attachment is the xorg.conf file of my netbook.

* xorg.conf.txt (0.54 KB - downloaded 91 times.)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 18:57:37 PM by atolboo » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 19:14:09 PM »

Here is a new suggestion:
Goto System Settings > Display > Devices > Outputs
At VGA select the Wrench-button (modify)
Mark at Specify Ranges.
Selection: Select from vendor/model list
Monitor: Choose and select Vendors: Philips  Models: Philips 107C > OK
or
Selection: Select a standard monitor
Monitor: Choose and select Type: LCD Models: LCD Panel 1280x1024 >OK
and don't forget (you should get a pop-up screen)
Activate Apply (green mark)
and restart your your computer (= restart X server).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 19:35:46 PM by atolboo » Logged
pastis
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 20:48:16 PM »

Woowww, this time you got it atolboo!
I didn't see this option, I thought the button was the same than the configure above.
So, I put the philips model and resolution set up fine this time!

Thank you a lot, the computer is almost okay, I still have some minor bugs including bad shutting down, but I will do it later.

Again thank you for all posts, have a nice evening.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 21:00:29 PM »

Thanks for the feedback
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: