Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 12:18:58 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Laptop
| | |-+  [solved] Asus n90 laptop freeze
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [solved] Asus n90 laptop freeze  (Read 4506 times)
sprint

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2010, 15:56:07 PM »

Hello,
I have been trying to install a Linux distro on a Asus laptop n90s , the thing is brandnew with on another partition Windows 7 wich runs fine (normal)
Now i have already installed a number of different distro's , but they all (but one Elive ,kernel 2.6.30, this has no sound) freezes up the whole laptop.

Also the Pardus 2009.1 wich is the one with the best fonts and runs ok on this device, but sometimes when opening Firefox , the other time when using synaptic, it just locks up everything and won't come loose anymore, the power button is the only solution then.

The md5sum was ok, it was burned very slow, installed 3 times
Also tryed ; Ubuntu 9.10,  Sabayon 5.1r1  X64 , X86  , Gnome , KDE, Linux Mint 8 X64, X86
They all gave the same problem
The win 7 does not freeze up  Huh?

This device has a Intel T4400 at 2.2 Ghz, 4 Gb ram, Nvidia graphic card

Please does some knows a solution ?

Thanks already
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 13:07:44 PM by Michiel » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 21:35:36 PM »

...... the other time when using synaptic......
I don't understand this.
What has synaptic to do with Pardus
trixon
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 22:22:36 PM »

Could it be synaptics, the "mouse"?
http://www.synaptics.com/
sprint

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 05:52:06 AM »

Hello,
Sorry i was mistaken , i meant Pisi the pakket manager, but not always while using Pisi, also when opening another app.
It is the first machine i have these problems with,  first i believed it should be a kernel problem , but than i tried Elive witch uses the same kernel, and this one does not crash or freeze the laptop. It only does not have any sound , even after configuring the alsa settings.
Distro's with older kernel than 2.6.29 does not recognize the sound card , graphic card correct and the wifi on this laptop.

greetings
Sprint
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 06:19:39 AM by sprint » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 11:49:15 AM »

Sorry i was mistaken
No problem. We all make mistakes from time to time.
i meant Pisi the pakket manager, but not always while using Pisi, also when opening another app.
Then I suspect a specific hardware related problem.
Is this a new installation from Pardus_2009.1_Anthropoides_virgo_International.iso?
Are you using the nvidia-... or nv or ... driver?
(have look in System Settings > Display > Devices > Video Card: Configure... > Select from list: ??)
sprint

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 14:55:50 PM »

Hello,
Thanks for the reply
No i did not select anything for graphic diriver , i just left it like it was,
Like i wrote before, i tryed a few distro's, some with automated install of a video driver like Sabayon wich uses the Nvidia driver 180 or 185 i think
Also Linux Mint wich starts as a vesa driver i believe, this gives the same problem, also when i manage to install the Nvidia driver it also freezes up.
I find it stange that a distro like Elive uses automated install from the Nvidia driver without asking for it , and manages to stay running, also with the wifi working and everything  but without the sound driver.
This Elive  distro is based on Debian, but i am not smart enough to find the difference  Undecided

Question , can i find a crash or error report in Pardus somewhere ?

And yes it is the latest iso from Pardus that i tryed

Thanks

Sprint
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 15:32:46 PM »

Question , can i find a crash or error report in Pardus somewhere ?
Have a look in /var/log.
There are a number of log files.
And maybe you will find something in the messages file.
My advice is to report this problem at http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/
I think they will be interested in this behavior.
sprint

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 15:41:03 PM »

Hello,
Yes i will do so, i will try to find this log and than paste it with the "story".
I just burned the cd again on another burner , even slower, but as i let Pardus do the cd check it is always fine..
I was thinking that Elive did not freeze the laptop and had no sound even tough it recognised via alsa the sound device..could it be the wrong recognition from this one sinds other distro that i tryed had sound, but maybe trough a buggy driver ?

Thanks for the advice already, i will  keep you posted

have a nice weekend

Sprint
sprint

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 20:23:28 PM »

Hello,
I think i am on the right track, i read the system logs , and everytime just before it freezes this comes up it started not with "kernel" but "Pulse audio (1042) reserve wrap.c;failed to acquire reservation lock on device"audio 0"/ input/output error".

so that could explain why Elive does not freeze up , because the sound device does not work there.... but is recognised by alsa.

Can anyone tell me if i can change the "Pulse audio" or its driver  ?

Thanks
a little light in the darkness..
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 20:26:54 PM by sprint » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 21:09:51 PM »

Can anyone tell me if i can change the "Pulse audio" or its driver  ?
What is mentioned in System > KInfoCenter > Sound?
sprint

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 22:19:48 PM »

Hello,
Well it is looks good right now, i changed the sound "device" from  "Pulse Audio"  to " Pulse Audio Server"
and it did the trick !!
It looks quit stable now, only 1 frozen moment , and the system log reported a error with bluetooth, wich was already there with the audio errors. ist freezes not always right on the first time such an error is produced apparently.
I did remove all apps about bluetooth, but one  "Bluez" was removable by Pisi, it crashed everytime i tryed (Pisi).
Also Pisi crashes everytime when i tryed to remove Koffice .
The rest works fine now.
Does anyone know the command to remove bluez in the terminal ?
Maybe this solves everything,

Thanks again

Sprint
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 22:30:34 PM »

Code:
pisi help
and in this case
Code:
pisi help rm
in a Konsole will be your friend
trixon
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 00:29:50 AM »

Removing bluez is a bad idea since it will also remove
libcanberra kdeartwork-screensavers alsa-plugins skanlite openoffice-langpack-sv kaptan phonon-xine openoffice-extension-presentation-minimizer kdebluetooth kwin-crystal-style digikam smplayer kdeplasma-addons libmal pilot-link kdenetwork rp-pppoe sysinfo PisiYap-kde openoffice-extension-pdfimport eciadsl openoffice-help-sv ktorrent kdeutils kaudiocreator gst-ffmpeg gst-plugins-ugly k3b kipi-plugins plasmoid-service-applet kdepim gst-plugins-bad pulseaudio-gconf mjpegtools gecko-mediaplayer gnome-mplayer mplayer pavucontrol decibel gimp-i18n-sv openoffice-extension-presenter-screen transcode opencv libquicktime kdemultimedia krusader display-settings obex-data-server konversation bluez-compat QtCurve-KDE4 kdevelop gnokii gimp gegl openoffice-extension-wiki-publisher plasmoid-network-applet amarok paprefs sox ffmpeg alsa-plugins-pulseaudio ppp libpcap openoffice-python kde-servicemenu-rootactions kdebase openobex kosd kdebase-workspace mpeg4ip x264 gpac yakuake kdebase-runtime openoffice-kde openoffice-extension-report-builder openoffice phonon-gstreamer gst-plugins-good xine-lib pulseaudio bluez

It is better to disable the bluez service.
Code:
sudo service bluez off
or
Code:
sudo service bluez stop
if you just want to test it.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 01:26:24 AM »

Or you could  System Settings > Service Manager > Running Services Wink
sprint

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 12:55:22 PM »

Hello,
Well i did a new installation (again) and this time i went directly to the sound settings and changed the preference in device , so the trouble came from Xine in my case, also Bluez is off and everything run fine now !!
Great stuff !! and thanks again guys for the info.

The only thing that did not work was Gift , the p2p app, but instead i choose Limewire so my friend can download something.
And the localisation for Firefox and Thunderbird (Dutch) did not come along , but that is not so important.

Again thanks Atolboo and Trixon for your help

greetings
Sprint
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 12:57:22 PM by sprint » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: