Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 13:59:06 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  [SOLVED] Recovering a user profile after reloading
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [SOLVED] Recovering a user profile after reloading  (Read 590 times)
NeoGraven

View Profile WWW
« on: February 23, 2010, 16:57:30 PM »

I had installed another distro alongside my Pardus for evaluation purposes (work related). It broke Grub for Pardus, so I just reinstalled Pardus, fixed my video issues, and everything was good to go.. but I can't recover or use my old profile I get a message saying there is something wrong with it.

Are there any caveats I need to know about with Pardus in order to use an existing user home directory (same account name)?

The message I get is:

kstartupconfig4 can not start or fails. Exit code is 3....
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 18:57:34 PM by NeoGraven » Logged

"Until you walk in another's shoes, don't tell them what to do, where to go, or how to do it."
-Me
NeoGraven

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 18:57:09 PM »

Got it figured out:

The deal is that I had my kspash set to one that I hadn't installed yet. I edited the KDE file /home/rcevans/.kde4/share/config/startupconfig, the line that says: ksplashrc_ksplash_theme="whateveryourthemenameis". I changed the theme name to "Default" which allowed me to log in.

NOTE: One word of advice about this for anyone that reloads and intends to use their existing user's home folder: Install with a different user, that way you will be able to log in to the system and work with it. Also, make sure you have ALL of your themes, pointers, icons, software, etc. loaded before you attempt to log in to your old user. It will minimize or prevent this from happening.

If you still have problems, then another thing to make sure of is to look at the permissions of your old user's home folder and it's contents. If you install a different distro and use a common home partition as I do, you will sometimes get this problem. Just changing the owner back to your old user (in the group 'users', use the command chown -R username:users /homefoldername, while you are IN the folder named "home" off the root) will solve that problem. You can go back in to Pardus, add a group named your user name, then change it all back with chown again. Remember to use the recursive switch, '-R'.

Cheers

"Until you walk in another's shoes, don't tell them what to do, where to go, or how to do it."
-Me
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: