Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 18:26:30 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Installing Pardus
| | |-+  Pardus and MeeGo dualboot
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pardus and MeeGo dualboot  (Read 1430 times)
pastis
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2010, 17:26:31 PM »

Hi everybody,

I plan to do a clean installation of the new pardus, but I'd like to also have an os that is booting fast (I mean faster than pardus Smiley) for simple uses when needed. I'd like to install MeeGo (befor Moblin, http://meego.com/).
So guys, which should I install first? I know in the case of windows dualboot, u should do windows before but in this case? I'd like to have also a common ext4 partition for personal files.

If nobody knows, I will do it anyway and post my experience.
Thank you all Smiley
Andreas
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 18:47:14 PM »

I plan to do a clean installation of the new pardus, but I'd like to also have an os that is booting fast (I mean faster than pardus Smiley) for simple uses when needed. I'd like to install MeeGo (befor Moblin, http://meego.com/).
So guys, which should I install first? I

Hello nougah,

I found this and hope it will help you.  Wink

Greetings
Andreas

msullivan
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 18:52:35 PM »

I have never installed MeeGo.  I looked on their site and it looks like a pretty cool project.  I think you might have to start with the pardus installation tool because I know that pardus has a partition tool that works very well.  I could not find any information on the MeeGo site about its tools for partitioning or installing.  Once you have pardus installed,  you should be able to install MeeGo on one of the other partitions you created during the pardus installation.  The only trouble you might run into with this method is with the grub bootloader.  After you finish installing both operation systems,  you may need edit the /boot/grub/grub.conf file to include both operating systems and their paths.

Another method that may be easier would be to start with the pardus installation tool to do the partitioning.  Then,  once the partitions are created,  stop the installation and install MeeGo onto one of the partitions and note which partition.  Then install pardus onto one of the other partitions.  The pardus install tool will then install grub with both of the systems available.  The Meego installation will be found during boot under "Other Options" from the boot loader.

As far as having a partition that can be used by both systems,  you can create that partition from the pardus installation tool.  You have to name it with some name that is unique (eg. /myfiles) from the "set mount point" option in the partition tool,  unless you choose to make it the home partition.  That partition must be named the same in both pardus and meego.  If you do not make it the home partition,  you must make it readable,  writable and executable by using the chmod command (chmod a+r+w+x /myfiles).  If you make it the home partition,  you must select it during installation of both pardus and meego and use the same user name for both.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 20:05:57 PM by msullivan » Logged
pastis
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 17:09:14 PM »

Thank you both for your fast replies. I'm gonna wait some weeks more because Meego seems to have problem with wifi on wind (everything else is okay, even bluetooth, I tested it yesterday) and this problem should be corrected soon following the bug reports.

Still, I have some question about the way you share a folder between two different system. If I understood good, if it's a separate partition that is not home folder, it's not protected at all, because all systems can access to it by mounting it. Is that true or not?
But if I make it /home folder, it should be protected, but this way I have to take the same user name (and password I suppose?) in both system and change permissions.
Is that okay or did I miss something? Is there a way to protect a partition that's not home?

Sorry for the nooby questions Smiley
Thank you.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: