Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 16:51:55 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  [solved]Disable Avahi Service - cannot resolve .local dns zones
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [solved]Disable Avahi Service - cannot resolve .local dns zones  (Read 2641 times)
acjohnson
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2010, 15:13:21 PM »

I am surprised I cannot find any Pardus specific information on this but here goes.

I have had a problem with Pardus since the first time I've tried it but I have let it go until now. I have to admit for a home user it's not that big of a deal but when using on a medium to large size network this is a big problem.

I'd also like to say that I LOVE pardus 2009.1! It is by far the most USABLE Linux I have ever seen. It seems to have excellent hardware support and probably the best feature is the custom network-manager which is by far the best I have ever seen especially when managing multiple wireless profiles. Even the package management is fantastic and I think that pisi plus the new mudur initialization system help make Pardus much more stable than any other Linux desktop I have ever used.

Anyways I'll get to it. I cannot disable the Avahi service! The reason why I need to disable it is crucial. As per the FAQ: http://avahi.org/wiki/Avah4users#FAQ on the avahi website: I installed Avahi and now I cannot resolve hosts from my unicast DNS zone .local!

And it specifically says: mDNS/DNS-SD is inherently incompatible with unicast DNS zones .local. We strongly recommend not to use Avahi or nss-mdns in such a network setup.

It took me quite a bit of troubleshooting just to figure out that the problem was caused by the avahi service but as soon as I stop avahi (service avahi stop) the problem goes away.

What happens is if I leave the avahi service running, then I am unable to resolve hostnames that belong within a dns naming space that ends in .local. I also am unable to browse such networks using the smb browser built-in to KDE 4.

Now of course I have tried to disable the service to no avail. If I simply run "service avahi off" the system reports that the service will no longer start at boot, but it still starts at boot. Also I have verified that when I turn the service off it actually adds itself to /etc/mudur/services/disabled but it still starts automatically.

I am beginning to see that pardus maintains itself very differently than your average linux distro and it seems to have some sort of templating system similar to a distro called SME Server (formally e-smith). For example to permanently change the hostname in pardus you must modify an environment variable template file called /etc/env.d/01hostname. I also had to get rid of the default dns entries that pardus comes with and so I discovered the only permanent way is to remove (or comment out) the 3 entries in another template file called /usr/share/baselayout/resolv.conf

So my guess is that the fix for my problem is somewhat in-depth considering pardus is configured this way and if I had the full documentation (in English) for how this system works I would be much more comfortable with pardus in general.

And one more thing. When I type 'service list' at the command line I notice that it is color coded. The notable thing is that there are three services that are colored in bright neon green and those services are: avahi, microcode_ctl, and wpa_supplicant.

When I look in the 'Service Manager' gui I can see that these are the only three services that do not have the 'Run-on start' checkbox checked, yet all three of these services start automatically at boot...

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 20:45:55 PM by Michiel » Logged
Andreas
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 16:37:49 PM »

I cannot disable the Avahi service!

Hello acjohnson and welcome,  Smiley

Systemsettings > Services > avahi > service stop

Greetings
Andreas
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 16:39:31 PM by Andreas » Logged
acjohnson
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 17:16:29 PM »

Ah, if it could only be that simple...

What I meant to say is I cannot permanently disable the avahi service.

Simply stopping the service is not a permanent fix as avahi will automatically start the next time the computer reboots.

Also just to clear things up I am also unable to uninstall avahi because it is a dependency of too many system critical packages.
Andreas
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 17:46:47 PM »

What I meant to say is I cannot permanently disable the avahi service.

Hello,

Systemsettings > Services > avahi > not start automatically

I don`t know, if it is good for the system, if you do it. Huh?

Greetings
Andreas
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 18:25:30 PM »

Maybe changing a setting in /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf can solve your probblem Huh?
acjohnson
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 19:53:12 PM »

Well atolboo, that wasn't exactly what I was looking for but it worked!

I edited /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf
and then I made the following changes:
Code:
use-ipv4=no
disable-publishing=yes
disable-user-service-publishing=yes

Now the service doesn't even start! Even after a reboot the service appears to be stopped and disabled.

Again, not what I was expecting but if no one has a cleaner solution for this then I guess I'll take it.

Thanks!
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 20:44:43 PM »

Code:
sudo nano /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf
Or in Dolphin goto /etc/avahi and right-click on avahi-daemon.conf > Root actions > Open as Text.

And I don't have knowledge about Avahi and where it's for.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: