Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 15:49:11 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Tips and tricks
| | |-+  Faster Pussy Cat
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Faster Pussy Cat  (Read 2389 times)
mpie
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2010, 00:04:22 AM »

Disclaimer could cause loss/corruption of data
How to taken from http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=42584&sid=af25013b24d0ee6ee002fc469faf3aec

This does produce a noticeable speed increase, but please heed the warning you could lose or corrupt your files
it is safer on laptops due to having a battery but loss of power on a desktop or server will cause corruption.

okay, still with me? good for the theory behind this, there is good description on the above link.
ok as root edit /etc/fstab in your favourite editor I will use nano in my example
Code:
sudo nano /etc/fstab
Now Pardus being friendly as it is, the filesystems have nice labels find your / and if you have a separate /home here is mine
Code:
LABEL=PARDUS_SWAP    none             swap      defaults,sw          0 0
LABEL=PARDUS_ROOT    /                ext4      defaults,user_xattr,noatime 0 0
LABEL=PARDUS_HOME1   /home            ext3      defaults,user_xattr,noatime 0 0
proc                 /proc            proc      nosuid,noexec        0 0
sysfs                /sys             sysfs     defaults             0 0
debugfs              /sys/kernel/debug debugfs   defaults             0 0
tmpfs                /dev/shm         tmpfs     nodev,nosuid,noexec  0 0
/dev/sda3            /media/windows        ntfs-3g   dmask=007,fmask=117,gid=6,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
so where the attributes are we can add further options
Code:
data=writeback,commit=60,nobarrier for ext4
data=writeback,commit=60,barrier=0 for ext3

below is my new /etc/fstab
Code:
LABEL=PARDUS_SWAP    none             swap      defaults,sw          0 0
LABEL=PARDUS_ROOT    /                ext4      defaults,user_xattr,noatime,data=writeback,commit=60,nobarrier 0 1
LABEL=PARDUS_HOME1   /home            ext3      defaults,user_xattr,noatime,data=writeback,commit=60,barrier=0  0 2
proc                 /proc            proc      nosuid,noexec        0 0
sysfs                /sys             sysfs     defaults             0 0
debugfs              /sys/kernel/debug debugfs   defaults             0 0
tmpfs                /dev/shm         tmpfs     nodev,nosuid,noexec  0 0
/dev/sda3            /media/windows        ntfs-3g   dmask=007,fmask=117,gid=6,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
finally to enable the new options we have to tell the file system
Code:
tune2fs -o journal_data_writeback /dev/sdxx
do this for each partition that you altered in /etc/fstab

finally before you reboot double check your fstab for any errors such as wrapped lines/ no comers or you may not be able to boot, however you can always use a livecd to fix if you do.

notice I have enabled checking the fs too, you dont have to do this but it makes sense to

Once your happy reboot and enjoy
bicskas
Pardus HUN translator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 11:25:45 AM »

Hello!

I use older, but (my experience) faster filesystem on Pardus: reiserfs

1. Open Terminal and typing this command after login superuser: nano /etc/fstab and modifity /root and /home mount options

LABEL=PARDUS_ROOT    /     reiserfs  defaults,noatime,nodiratime,notail,data=writeback     0 0
LABEL=PARDUS_HOME    /home     reiserfs  defaults,noatime,nodiratime,notail     0 0

Save file and...

2. Always stay in Terminal, and typing this command: nano /boot/grub/menu.lst and modifity the end of kernel line:

rootflags=data=writeback

3. Restart and fun!  Grin

trixon
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 11:58:04 AM »

I cant find any fun in that. I guess that system will not boot at all.
bicskas
Pardus HUN translator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 12:32:47 PM »

I cant find any fun in that. I guess that system will not boot at all.

See the linked image in my post: this is my settings and it perfectly works for me. I have default Pardus 2009.2 with reiserfs filesystem, and no more "exotic" options.

If you have problem with it, try to skip the data=writeback options in fstab and dont modifity the kernel line.

Best regards:
Daniel

PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 12:55:05 PM »

I agree with trixon. It makes no sense to replace ext4fs by reiserfs in your fstab file. Either you have formatted your partitions with reiser filesystem, and fstab has automatically been written accordingly, either you have formatted your partitions with the default ext4 filesystem, and editing fstab won't change that.

If you have ext4 partitions and reiserfs in your fstab, you are very, very lucky to be able to boot - actually it means that there is a bug somewhere !

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
bicskas
Pardus HUN translator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 13:26:25 PM »

I agree with trixon. It makes no sense to replace ext4fs by reiserfs in your fstab file. Either you have formatted your partitions with reiser filesystem, and fstab has automatically been written accordingly, either you have formatted your partitions with the default ext4 filesystem, and editing fstab won't change that.

If you have ext4 partitions and reiserfs in your fstab, you are very, very lucky to be able to boot - actually it means that there is a bug somewhere !

I format my hard-disk to reiserfs and install Pardus (official support fs), default fstab generated by system, and i add to this mount-options (see the images). This fs tweak is not magic, it works, and yes: the system boot with this kernel line options (rootflags=data=writeback).

Best regards:
Daniel

PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 13:56:25 PM »

OK, I thought your post was about reiserfs.

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
bicskas
Pardus HUN translator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 14:06:23 PM »

OK, I thought your post was about reiserfs.

Hello!

I use older, but (my experience) faster filesystem on Pardus: reiserfs

Yes, certainly.  Wink

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: