Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 16:44:29 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Software
| | |-+  Calibre and Aldiko
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Calibre and Aldiko  (Read 11537 times)
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2010, 09:56:50 AM »

In a weekend that sees the iPad being launched in the USA I was coincidentally looking around for nice Apps to add on my Android mobile phone.
Soon I came across a category of files one might increasingly want to be able to read in the near future: eBooks end electronic newspaper files.

For the Android phones the App called Aldiko is a very nice one to create a virtual bookshelf and take your (e(books) in your pocket whilst on journey. This App uses however only the ePub ebook format.
http://www.aldiko.com/

I noticed there are ePub readers for Linux desktop and a plugin for reading ePub documents inside Firefox browser available http://www.epubread.com/en/ .
It ahs also already been ported to the Firefox Mobile edition for mobile phones (http://www.epubread.com/blog/2010/03/epubreader-for-firefox-mobile/)

Example from the website of the FF addon showing a dutch newspaper in ePub format in a browser window:

Azardi (coming soon), FB Reader and Calibre itself are examples of software making ePub reading and processing available for the linux desktop.

Of course there are numerous formats for digital texts like HTML, PDF, monipocket, ePub, ODT etct etc.

I never came across it because I did never before neede to search for it, but it appears that Calibre is an already quite longstandig cross-platform App (Windows, Apple, Linux version availeble) that can convert between numerous file formats for eBooks amongst with are ePub format.

I guess with electronic reading possibly booming in the near future, it would be nice to have a ready made Calibre PISI package availble?

I will request this in a bug report shortly.

calibre is a free and open source e-book library management application developed by users of e-books for users of e-books. It has a cornucopia of features divided into the following main categories:

Library Management
E-book conversion
Syncing to e-book reader devices
Downloading news from the web and converting it into e-book form
Comprehensive e-book viewer
Content server for online access to your book collection

http://calibre-ebook.com/

calibre supports the conversion of many input formats to many output formats. It can convert every input format in the following list, to every output format.

Input Formats: CBZ, CBR, CBC, CHM, EPUB, FB2, HTML, LIT, LRF, MOBI, ODT, PDF, PRC**, PDB, PML, RB, RTF, TCR, TXT

Output Formats: EPUB, FB2, OEB, LIT, LRF, MOBI, PDB, PML, RB, PDF, TCR, TXT

** PRC is a generic format, calibre supports PRC files with TextRead and MOBIBook headers
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 10:22:35 AM by Michiel » Logged

Former Pardus user, now on OpenSUSE 12.2 (KDE)
Ruy Sabino

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 15:05:40 PM »

I already use the Calibre for some time, both in my work and at home in Ubuntu to manage my collections of e-books and comics, and would love to see it available on pardus.

+1 vote..Cheesy
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 16:43:18 PM »

Calibre has already been requested to be pisified by an other Pardus user, and I posted a comment to draw the attention of the development team once more...

http://bugs.pardus.org.tr/show_bug.cgi?id=12443

Ruy Sabino

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 14:51:05 PM »

Hello everybody!!

any news on this problem? will it play normally in Pardus 2011?

Thanks!
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 20:21:44 PM »

As far as I know Calibre is also requested from within the turkish Pardus community and they have been busy with pisifying Calibre recently as far as the bug reports mention.
The reports however also mention that whilst effort is put in to make it a part of Pardus 2011 final release, the application is quite difficult to compose in the right way, including the needed dependencies.

I am confident however that they will succeed in delivering Calibre PISI packages quite soon, especially since -as just mentioned- the turkish people themselves have put it high on their wish-list as well.

Stay tuned at the bug report page

Ruy Sabino

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 18:11:35 PM »

@Michiel

Thanks for the news, I'll continue waiting for news from both Calibre and Pardus 2011!

Cheesy

Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 09:50:03 AM »

It ahs been over a year and unfortunately still no PISI package for Calibre.

Apparently the compiling process is quite hard to get it coded right in the PISI package.

Also the pisifying of Calibre crossed woth the new Pardus versions being realeased (2011, Corporte 2 ), I have posted a request for an update on the current status of the pisifying process of Calibre.

Hope things can be finished soon....having Calbire available as a PISI package in Pardus would be a great thimg

dedebekri
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 15:00:08 PM »

Ever tried this?
sudo pisi bi https://svn.pardus.org.tr/pardus/playground/sdalgic/2011/office/misc/calibre/pspec.xml

I haven't tried it, so awaiting your good news!  Wink
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 16:40:08 PM »

I haven't tried it, so ......
My result during first attempt:
/var/pisi/calibre-0.7.33-1/work/calibre/src/calibre/ebooks/pdf/images.h:7:21: fatal error: jpeglib.h: No such file or directory
After an additional
Code:
sudo pisi it jpeg-devel -y
(this ^^^ dep is missing in pspec.xml)
Result during second attempt:
DEBUG: return value for "python setup.py build" is 0
Testing package...
Installing...   

Sandbox enabled build...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
Dropping privileges to those of atolboo: 1000
No write acces to
/var/pisi/calibre-0.7.33-1/work/.config/calibre using a temporary dir instead

* Running build

Compiling form /var/pisi/calibre-0.7.33-1/work/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/filename_pattern.ui
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 99, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "setup.py", line 85, in main
    command.run_all(opts)
  File "/var/pisi/calibre-0.7.33-1/work/calibre/setup/__init__.py", line 159, in run_all
    self.run_cmd(self, opts)
  File "/var/pisi/calibre-0.7.33-1/work/calibre/setup/__init__.py", line 152, in run_cmd
    self.run_cmd(scmd, opts)
  File "/var/pisi/calibre-0.7.33-1/work/calibre/setup/__init__.py", line 155, in run_cmd
    cmd.run(opts)
  File "/var/pisi/calibre-0.7.33-1/work/calibre/setup/gui.py", line 36, in run
    self.build_forms()
  File "/var/pisi/calibre-0.7.33-1/work/calibre/setup/gui.py", line 60, in build_forms
    build_forms(self.SRC, info=self.info)
  File "/var/pisi/calibre-0.7.33-1/work/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/__init__.py", line 728, in build_forms
    open(compiled_form, 'wb').write(dat)
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/pisi/calibre-0.7.33-1/work/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/filename_pattern_ui.py'
DEBUG: return value for "python setup.py install --root=/var/pisi/calibre-0.7.33-1/install/usr --no-compile --prefix="/usr"" is 1
  File "/var/pisi/calibre/actions.py", line 42, in install
    pythonmodules.run('setup.py install --root=%s/usr --no-compile --prefix="/usr"' % installdir)
  File "/usr/lib/pardus/pisi/actionsapi/pythonmodules.py", line 80, in run
    if system('python %s' % (parameters)):
  File "/usr/lib/pardus/pisi/actionsapi/shelltools.py", line 255, in system
    error(_("Command \"%s\" failed, return value was %d.") % (command, retValue))
  File "/usr/lib/pardus/pisi/actionsapi/__init__.py", line 27, in error
    raise Error(msg)
pisi.actionsapi.Error: Command "python setup.py install --root=/var/pisi/calibre-0.7.33-1/install/usr --no-compile --prefix="/usr"" failed, return value was 1.
Action script error caught.
*** 1 error(s), 1 warning(s)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
Program terminated.
And this color is a for me.
dedebekri
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 17:27:14 PM »

Sorry atolboo, I am not that much equipped like you  Tongue
Also thank you for your sincere efforts!...
a.palius
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 18:25:16 PM »

I was able to build calibre package.
1. I logged on as root.
Code:
$ su -
2. I installed missing dependency.
Code:
# pisi it desktop-file-utils jpeg-devel fontconfig-devel
3. I have built this package.
Code:
# pisi bi https://svn.pardus.org.tr/pardus/playground/sdalgic/2011/office/misc/calibre/pspec.xml
Building package: calibre                                                                   
Creating calibre-0.7.33-1-p11-i686.pisi...                                                   
Keeping build directory
*** 0 error(s),
Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 19:37:09 PM »

Thanks for your effort(s), however I am still using Pardus 2009, the method described above fails therefore already on the first package install

Michiel
Administrator
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 15:49:42 PM »

--- Comment #24 from SVN Bot <svnbot@pardus.org.tr> 2011-04-27 15:43:26 EEST ---
Author: sdalgic (Serdar Dalgıç)
Repository: pardus
Commit: 117917

Changed Files:
U   playground/sdalgic/2011/office/misc/calibre/actions.py
D
playground/sdalgic/2011/office/misc/calibre/files/calibre-0.7.27-python-fix.patch
A
playground/sdalgic/2011/office/misc/calibre/files/calibre-0.7.38-pyPdf-fix.patch
U   playground/sdalgic/2011/office/misc/calibre/files/calibre-no-update.patch
U   playground/sdalgic/2011/office/misc/calibre/pspec.xml

Commit Message:
Update calibre files.

Calibre developers are not very user-friendly for linux packagers :]

The package is still not OK, there are some sandbox violations.

Sorry for the late reply, I will pay more attention to calibre package from now
on.

Have a nice day Wink

BUG:COMMENT:12443

See the changes at:
 http://websvn.pardus.org.tr/pardus?view=revision&revision=117917

atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 11:51:45 AM »

I was able to build calibre package.
1. I logged on as root.
Code:
$ su -
This means there is a difference between "su -" and "sudo" Embarrassed

Now I get ( I only list from where the first irregularity is shown):
        Installing MAN page for epub-fix
        Installing MAN page for calibre-smtp
Setting up desktop integration...
xdg-icon-resource: No writable system icon directory found.

____________________ WARNING ____________________
Setting up desktop integration failed with error:
          File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 504, in check_call
            raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd)
        CalledProcessError: Command 'xdg-icon-resource install --noupdate --context mimetypes --size 128 calibre-lrf.png application-lrf' returned non-zero exit status 3

____________________ WARNING ____________________
Cannot install calibre environment module to: /var/pisi/calibre-0.7.57-1/install/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages

calibre successfully installed. You can start it by running the command calibre

There were 2 warning(s):

* Setting up desktop integration failed with error:

* Cannot install calibre environment module to: /var/pisi/calibre-0.7.57-1/install/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages

DEBUG: return value for "python setup.py install --root=/var/pisi/calibre-0.7.57-1/install/usr --no-compile --prefix="/usr"" is 0
find: `/var/pisi/calibre-0.7.57-1/install//usr/share/mime': No such file or directory
DEBUG: return value for "find /var/pisi/calibre-0.7.57-1/install//usr/share/mime -maxdepth 1 -type f | xargs rm -f" is 0
No directory matched pattern "/usr/share/desktop-directories". Remove directory operation failed.
  File "/var/pisi/calibre/actions.py", line 74, in install
    pisitools.removeDir("/usr/share/desktop-directories")
  File "/usr/lib/pardus/pisi/actionsapi/pisitools.py", line 281, in removeDir
    raise FileError(_("No directory matched pattern \"%s\". Remove directory operation failed.") % destinationDirectory)
pisi.actionsapi.pisitoolsfunctions.FileError: No directory matched pattern "/usr/share/desktop-directories". Remove directory operation failed.
Action script error caught.
*** 1 error(s), 1 warning(s)                                                                                                                                                                                       
Program terminated.
And
Code:
pisi info xdg-utils xdg-user-dirs desktop-file-utils jpeg-devel fontconfig-devel
are all listed as Installed package:
So there is a remarkable difference with your result
a.palius
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 13:46:11 PM »

This means there is a difference between "su -" and "sudo" Embarrassed

In this case, yes.

Please note that my above post covers a different version (0.7.33) and since then have changed build files (see Michiel post above).

I didn't try to build calibre 0.7.57.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: