Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 06:53:37 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Configuring Pardus
| | |-+  Startup and shutdown problems
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Startup and shutdown problems  (Read 787 times)
andyb
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2010, 12:20:26 PM »

See also: "[PARTIALLY SOLVED]Can't login" thread (below)

For no apparent reason, about a week ago Pardus started taking 3-4 minutes to boot, and 2-3 minutes to shutdown.  Everything seems fine once it's up and running.

The only thing I can recall doing is activating compositing (kwin) then deciding to deactivate it again.  I wondered if it was the nvidia driver, so I reinstalled that, but no better.

At startup, I get the screen with the symbols (loading desktop etc) ending in the Pardus leopard, then nothing, for 90 seconds or so.  then I get an ugly purple rectangle, then a white one.  Then the desktop appears, with everything in place and loaded.  I can hear the new email alert whilst waiting, as though the desktop is loading, but I can't see it.

I've had a look through various log files to see if I can spot the problem, but I don't really know what I'm looking for!

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 14:26:52 PM »

After creating another (new) user.
Are the problems solved for the new user Huh?
Maybe only a new installation will solve the problem.
andyb
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 14:41:38 PM »

Brilliant- that worked, thanks!

Is there a quick way to transfer my personal settings across to this new user, or should I set up everything again?  I suppose I don't want to transfer whatever the problem was from the old user /home to the new.

Or is there something in my old user /home that I could delete in order to get rid of the problem?

I hope that makes sense Huh?

Many thanks!
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 16:24:24 PM »

Or is there something in my old user /home that I could delete in order to get rid of the problem?

This is very difficult.
Maybe the problem is in one of the configuration files in /home/username/.kde4/share/config
And your personal settings for KDE applications (f.i. kmail,krusader,korganizer, etc...) are in /home/username/.kde4/share/apps.
And your personal settings for non-KDE applications are in /home/username/.filename (f.i. firefox=/home/username/.mozilla/firefox)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 13:03:53 PM by atolboo » Logged
andyb
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 17:31:51 PM »

That's really helpful- thanks.  I'll have a go tomorrow.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: