Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 12:46:03 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Installing Pardus
| | |-+  [solved] Pisi updating stop working
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [solved] Pisi updating stop working  (Read 2489 times)
Nergård
« on: April 25, 2010, 16:00:34 PM »

I just installed pardus 2009.1 in a pc today. Saw that was new package updates, 161 now.
But when I try to run the package updates Pisi not start in a normal way as before. It just run forever and never install the packages.

I had a similar problem with the old 2009 version with Pisi.

The only way I can start the pisi is just t run a few package at the time. But that will take a long time.

Is it a bug or what is wrong?

When it was around 140 updates it was no problem to install them at once with pisi.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 20:15:34 PM by Michiel » Logged
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 23:56:28 PM »

Hi, Nergard,

You didn't say whether you are using the GUI version of PiSi or updating from the Konsole. (I'm guessing that you are using the GUI). The large number of updates might be causing the GUI-fied PiSi to have problems, so you might try this technique as an alternative:

1. Open up a Konsole.
2. Become the root user by typing
Code:
$ su
3. Enter root's password.
4. Type
Code:
# pisi upgrade

When I become aware that there are updates available, I first use PiSi's GUI to look at the list of upgradable packages and make a note of them in my spiral notebook. Then I close PiSi's GUI and use the Konsole method above to actually install the updates. It has worked well for me.  

< Edit: >
I should clarify that this is on an existing Pardus 2009.1 system -- not a new installation. Yesterday I had about 30 updates available, including packages related to wireless drivers, webcams and most importantly, an updated Linux kernel. IIRC, the kernel was updated to version 2.6.31.13. I haven't had time to test it extensively, but it appears that everything is working fine.

HTH,
=david
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 18:35:18 PM by kalwisti » Logged

Registered Linux User # 442201

Pardus 2011.2 (KDE 4.6.5, kernel 2.6.37.6)

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW
Nergård
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 10:28:04 AM »

Thanks I will try with the terminal.
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 15:57:38 PM »

I can confirm this problem.
It's also not possible to upgrade in konsole with
Code:
sudo pisi up
Therefore I made >THIS BUGREPORT<
BellaPup
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 18:07:08 PM »

The only way I can start the pisi is just t run a few package at the time. But that will take a long time.

I am having the same issue, went to do 160+ updates by way of pisi GUI and I can not do any large amount. Things only seem to be working with 5 or so at a time, rather slow.. But I'm almost done

-Hunter
Nergård
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 20:32:36 PM »

I was able to install 160 updates in small portions as described here.
But its one package that not going:

virtualbox-guest-utils

Pisi run but the installationprocess never starts.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 20:35:47 PM by Nergård » Logged
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 23:59:02 PM »

Dependency problem has been solved as can be seen in Comment 2+3.
But Package Manager has a strange/unwanted behavior when handling a large amount of updates.
I will test this behavior tomorrow more.
John A
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 23:01:39 PM »

I have problem with the Pisi updates to after a new installation of Pardus 2009.1
Its around 200 updates at the moment but the Pisi krashes if you try to install them at once.
And the Pisi symbol down the list dissapear. I was not able to get it back either so I was forced to do a new installation again.
Have anyone here tryed to do a new installation and see how it works?

The only way I am able to install the updates are in small numbers at the time.
So are the bug realy solved?

I have installed all the updates in that slow process. But it seems that are 2 package that remains who are impossible to update:

kdeedu-marble

kdeplasma-addons

So it looks that the Pisi/package handler are not able to deal with a large amount of updates. Undecided
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 23:24:48 PM by John A » Logged
Andreas
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 06:34:22 AM »

@ John A

Please make the update with

pisi up

in console.  Wink

I do it ever by making the update.  Wink

Greetings
Andreas
John A
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 10:20:58 AM »

I will do so. But my point is that not everybody  know or are familiar with commandlines and are use with Konsole/terminal.

Especially new beginners. If I update 250 packages in Ubuntu for example its  no problems at all.
If the Pisi not working maybe its time to replace it with another system?
PhiX
Pardus Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 11:30:11 AM »

If I update 250 packages in Ubuntu for example its  no problems at all.
If the Pisi not working maybe its time to replace it with another system?

If Pisi doesn't handle correctly large updates, it's time to make a specific bug report. The above linked bug report is closed as fixed, and it's a quite different one.

Team Pardus-fr - French Pardus tools translator
John A
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 16:24:38 PM »

I saw it was a new bugreport about it in Bugzilla. So I guess I will wait and see what happends.
Andreas
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 16:47:56 PM »

But my point is that not everybody  know or are familiar with commandlines and are use with Konsole/terminal.

I understand your point.  Wink
John A
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 19:13:36 PM »

Anyway the Pisi problem was fixed now. I was able to install the missing packages. Smiley
Andreas
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 19:15:05 PM »

Anyway the Pisi problem was fixed now. I was able to install the missing packages. Smiley

Good news.  Wink Smiley
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 20:15:49 PM by Michiel » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: