Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 09:00:44 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  General
| |-+  Introduce yourself
| | |-+  Greetings from north of Boston, MA
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Greetings from north of Boston, MA  (Read 2282 times)
mgcorbin

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2010, 19:30:21 PM »

Hi

Gotta say - love Pardus. It is nice to find a real good kde distro that just somehow feels right and is so responsive. I just wiped my windows partition, which means I will give up a few games I like but its worth it.

Have a good time (to quote the old SuSe line)

Mark
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 21:00:44 PM »

SW
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 21:34:27 PM »

Hi Mark,

greetings from germany to Boston! Ten years ago i was able to visit Boston.
Unfortunately  business allowed me only to stay for one day and I was not able to see a lot of things.
But what I have seen was very nice  Grin

CYA

mgcorbin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 00:27:05 AM »

atolboo - thanks for your welcome

SW - thanks for your welcome. Sorry you had to take a long flight for one day of business - hope you had more to do in the usa.

It is a nice city, alot of culture with all the universities and there was a realization, a sense of history when I first lived there of it being one of the birthplaces of America.

Of course we are still babies in comparison to Europe in the concept of history. I would love to be able to travel Europe and the middle East some day.

thanks again

Mark
SW
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 22:44:04 PM »

Of course we are still babies in comparison to Europe in the concept of history
In the next bigger town there are several pubs in houses which are about 600yrs old  Wink

Portland (rose garden) is imho a nice town, but without history compared with Boston or Europe.

Traveling thru europe is a good idea. You will see it is much more better than EPCOT Center  Grin

Have fun with Pardus!

Cheers,
Stefan
mgcorbin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 00:47:06 AM »

in History my favorite periods are the early to middle 100's (300-800). Being of Irish lineage I have been studying early Celtic and Celtic Christian history which has led to a study of the early medieval period in European History, mostly after Rome really lost power. I find wriitings of the time fascinating.

Mark
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 04:35:58 AM »

Hi, Mark,

Welcome aboard! I hope you'll have an enjoyable experience using Pardus. Pardus is definitely one of my favorite distros (although I'm also running PCLinuxOS 2010, Fedora 12 [Xfce Spin] and Mint 8 "Helena." Actually, Linux is so good nowadays that it's hard to pick just one distro). It has been stable on my hardware; I like Pardus' balance (up-to-date without being "bleeding-edge") and commend its developers for creating such a quality distro from scratch. Quite an accomplishment.

This is not a huge forum but there are some nice, knowledgeable folks here. In particular, atolboo and Andreas know their Pardus well and always offer timely help.

I'll just mention one resource which has a lot of good info: the Pardus Wiki:

http://en.pardus-wiki.org/Main_Page

If you need a personal finance/checkbook program, the Pardus repos have KMyMoney and HomeBank available. Another option is Skrooge; it's not in the repositories but I managed to compile it from source and posted a mini-tutorial here in the User Forum. 

Have fun and don't hesitate to post if you run into problems,
=david

Registered Linux User # 442201

Pardus 2011.2 (KDE 4.6.5, kernel 2.6.37.6)

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW
Andreas
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 13:53:29 PM »

Welcome from me too Mark  Wink Smiley

Greetings
Andreas
mgcorbin

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 15:07:45 PM »

David

Thanks for the greeting! I know what you mean about linux. I do wish my windows games would be ported or that wine/crossover would catch up on my games or that I was a coder and could work to make that happen.

Other than that relatively small segment I am truly impressed with linux from where it has come since the redhat 6 days (my first distro back in 2000 or 2001). You are correct. it is hard to choose. Pardus does seem to offer a good balance of recent and stable. Mint is great but I couldn't even get kde to install properly for some reason this time - community 8. I have been in ubuntu derivative land for quite a while and am enjoying a return to a kde based distro and think kde 4 is finally coming up to snuff and pardus seems to be quite up to  snuff.

Compiling from source - too me it looks like I will have to do that with a Bible program since I happen to use those - haven't found one in the repos. Not entirely surprising that it wasn't there as this is a Turkish distro. It is one of the prettiest yet most professional looking kde distros out there.

Andreas - thanks for your welcome

Mark
Andreas
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 18:09:06 PM »

Bible program since I happen to use those

Hello Mark,

I wrote a package-wish here  Wink

Greetings
Andreas
mgcorbin

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 01:30:04 AM »

Bible program since I happen to use those

Hello Mark,

I wrote a package-wish here  Wink

Greetings
Andreas

Thank you Andreas. I tried to install from source (something I have done before) but I kept running into various missing packages in the ./configure process. I think I stopped when I could not find one in the repo's and I can't remember which package it was right now. I didn't have the time (or maybe the knowledge) to quest through dependency hell)

Thank you,

Mark
Andreas
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 05:12:39 AM »

tried to install from source (something I have done before) but I kept running into various missing packages in the ./configure process.

Hello Mark,

for compiling programs you must install following packages, which you find in the repos:  Wink

kernel-source, kernel-headers, gcc und make

Greetings
Andreas
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 22:20:34 PM »

Or to install all the required packages visit http://en.pardus-wiki.org/HOWTO:Installing_build_essentials Wink
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: