Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 21:44:31 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Pardus for beginners
| | |-+  Two Disk Duel Boot Installation
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Two Disk Duel Boot Installation  (Read 1426 times)
deerb

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2010, 18:56:31 PM »

I wish to set up a duel boot system on my new computer with two seperate hard disks, one with preinstalled Windows 7 (sorry for having to mention it), and the other with Pardus Linux. I have downloaded the ISO file, and burned it on to a rewritable DVD. The wiki installation instructions only cover partitioning a single hard disk. If, as planned, I install Pardus to its own disk, will I still be able to select which operating system I wish to use when booting up, or will I have to install Pardus in a different manner

I am a complete newbie, and am trying Linux for the first time, so please forgive my ignorance

deerb
Andreas
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 19:17:38 PM »

Hello deerb,

I hope this can help you.  Wink

Greetings
Andreas
John A
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 19:48:24 PM »

One easy way to do so is with Wubi:
http://wubi-installer.org/

I dont think Pardus have that yet.

Here is some more information to:
http://www.brighthub.com/computing/linux/articles/23075.aspx
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 00:22:18 AM »

Hi, deerb,

You should be able to do a dual-boot such as the one you describe, with no problems. I had a similar setup on my older computer (two internal HDs), except that mine was a Linux-only setup. Still, the principle should be the same ... I'm letting Pardus's GRUB control the multiboot-Linux on my new computer, and it works fine.

Most important:

Before attempting to install another operating system, take the time to fully backup your Windows data. Although there is only a small chance that something will go wrong, it is best to be cautious and make sure that you have a backup you can restore from, if necessary.

One caveat:
It has been a few months since I installed Pardus, and I'm relying on my (perhaps) faulty memory of the installer's steps. So first, I'd closely read your existing tutorial to see if I'm listing things in the correct sequence ...

What I would suggest is this: try a "dry run" of the installation, and let YALI (Pardus's installer) take you to the partitioning stage. Look carefully at what the partitioner sees on your drives and make sure that it recognizes your Windows 7 setup on your first hard drive. If something looks odd and the partitioner does not recognize your Windows-only drive, you can always quit the installer without committing / writing your changes to the HD.

Once you're certain that the Windows-only drive is recognized, you can then install Pardus to your second drive (and let it take over the entire second disk).

Again, look carefully for the next (?) stage of the installation process, in which GRUB is installed.
GRUB is a special mini-program that helps to boot up an operating system. It supports multiple OSes on one computer, and allows you to select which operating system you want to run.  

What you want to do is let Pardus install GRUB to the MBR (Master Boot Record) of the second hard drive (with Pardus on it). This drive will be identified as either /hdb or /sdb. (Or it may be identified as (hd1) in GRUB's special notation. Right now I can't remember exactly how the YALI installer presented this information during the installation process).  

If I remember correctly, prior to actually writing GRUB to the designated MBR, Pardus's installer will show you a list of the operating systems it has detected. If your Windows shows up in that list, you should be ready to proceed. If Windows is not there, you should probably back out and ask for further advice.

I think that it could cause problems (with booting Windows) if you let GRUB be installed to the MBR of the first hard drive. atolboo or Andreas, could you please verify this for deerb? (Thanks).

The "Bootloader" section from the Pardus Wiki is here:

http://en.pardus-wiki.org/Pardus:Installation2009#Bootloader

I think you'd want to select the option labelled

"Selected disk below"
(and then select your 2nd hard drive)

Make sure to have the box checked / selected that says:
"Automatically add other operating systems to the GRUB menu"

< Edit: You might find some extra help / reassurance in this thread:

http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=3076.0
"Pardus 2009, GRUB2 and multibooting Linux." 5 Nov. 2009. >

HTH,
=david

P.S.
Since you mentioned that you're new to Linux, I'd like to offer one more piece of advice:

Work carefully, calmly and slowly -- don't rush through the installation process. It is unlikely that you will do something disastrous, such as erasing your Windows installation. If something happens to mess up GRUB and/or the MBR, don't panic. (It's tempting to panic, but keep your wits about you and do not do anything drastic to the computer). Both OSes are probably fine on your hard drives -- you just can't boot them. Post back here, describe the problem and people will try to help you fix things so that you can boot both systems.

P.S.S.

A Fix in Case You Can Only Boot Pardus, and Not Windows:

Pardus includes a handy utility called the Boot Manager (which I use often). I'm attaching a screenshot below so you can see how it looks. (You must be logged in to the User Forum in order to view it).

To access it, go to your Start menu (the Leopard icon) in the lower left-hand corner of your bottom panel. Next,

Go to Computer > System Settings > Computer Administration > Boot Manager

Then you will see a window like what's in the screenshot.

Select Add New > Windows from the drop-down menu, and fill in

Title
(Name of boot entry to be shown at the boot menu)
You would add "Windows 7".

and Disk
(Disk that contains the operating system)
You would add "/dev/sda" (or "/dev/hda").

Next, click on the Apply button to finalize your GRUB entry. You're done.

Restart your PC and hopefully, you will be able to boot into Windows 7 again.

* boot-manager.png (77.26 KB, 690x539 - viewed 99 times.)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 03:19:11 AM by kalwisti » Logged

Registered Linux User # 442201

Pardus 2011.2 (KDE 4.6.5, kernel 2.6.37.6)

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW
atolboo
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 22:17:26 PM »

There are 2 possibilities.
They depend on the boot options in your bios.

1. Bios boots from 1st hard disk (= default).
  Use the settings as shown in the picture of http://en.pardus-wiki.org/Pardus:Installation2009#Bootloader

2. Bios boots from 2nd hard disk.
 Use "Selected disk below" and mark the second disk.
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 23:07:04 PM »

Hi, atolboo,

Thank you for the clarification. I did not want to give deerb misleading advice.

Also, I'm unsure about dual-booting / installation issues involving Windows, since we don't have a Windows PC at home. (I thought I recalled reading things about MS Vista behaving strangely when its MBR was altered, and no longer controlled the main boot. Of course, my memory may be faulty ... I don't trust it as much as I used to).

Registered Linux User # 442201

Pardus 2011.2 (KDE 4.6.5, kernel 2.6.37.6)

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW
carling

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 10:54:22 AM »

I wish to set up a duel boot system on my new computer with two seperate hard disks, one with preinstalled Windows 7 (sorry for having to mention it), and the other with Pardus Linux. I have downloaded the ISO file, and burned it on to a rewritable DVD. The wiki installation instructions only cover partitioning a single hard disk. If, as planned, I install Pardus to its own disk, will I still be able to select which operating system I wish to use when booting up, or will I have to install Pardus in a different manner

I am a complete newbie, and am trying Linux for the first time, so please forgive my ignorance

deerb

I have installed several dual boot linux systems (main stream distributions) with no problems Linux sees the other operating systems and sorts them out for you, on install it will ask you do you want to run them side by side you answer yes, the problem I did have If windows crashes it takes everything down,  I think the best way you can do it is have a external hdd/jump drive  and boot (linux)  Pardus up from that like I do that's if your system will boot up fron USB drives
Lisa
Pardus Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 16:00:10 PM »

Yes, it works fine for my dual boot system. 

I have XP on my first disk, and Pardus and Hymera on my second hard drive.

Before installing Linux distros, I used live CD, Gnome Partition Editor, and created an extended partition of the entire second hard drive.  Then I created two logical partitions with sizes I wished to put my two Linuxes on. (sorry, not a real word).  Then I installed Hymera, using the second logical partition on the second hard drive (sdb6 for me) and even let it install Grub to the master boot record of the first hard drive.  With that finished, I then installed Pardus on the first logical partition of the second hard drive (sdb5) and let it install Grub to the master boot record of the first hard drive (sda) which is where xp is located. This overwrites Hymera's Grub, which is what I want as I want Pardus to have the Grub menu at boot up. Sounds confusing, but this always works for me with no problems. 
Lisa Marie
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 17:17:32 PM by Lisa » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: