Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 07:47:29 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Show unread posts since last visit.
News: Let Pardus-Anka become #1: Pardus-Anka Bug ReportPardus-Anka World Google+ | The Pardus wiki  | Visit Pardus-Anka official website  | Register as forum member?  Email the moderator!

+  Pardus Worldforum
|-+  Assistance
| |-+  Software
| | |-+  [solved] 2009.2 Boot Manager cannot change default
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [solved] 2009.2 Boot Manager cannot change default  (Read 925 times)
yeow

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2010, 23:51:15 PM »

Hi, I cannot tick Windows as default boot choice. It unticks itself & only Pardus 2009.2 can be set as default. This did not happen in Pardus 2007 & 2008.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 20:21:50 PM by Michiel » Logged
yeow

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 00:37:50 AM »

In Dolphin, when I'm at /boot/grub/ and open Terminal, I tried
- entering "su" & password
- then "kwrite edit grub.conf"

but I get this error "bash: kwrite: command not found". How come?

I had to copy "grub.conf" file to my Home directory, to change 1st line "default 0" to "default 1". Then open Terminal:
- enter "su" & password
- then "cp grub.conf /boot/grub/" to copy & overwrite the file

What does "bash: kwrite: command not found" error mean?
trixon
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 04:50:10 AM »

Hi, I cannot tick Windows as default boot choice. It unticks itself & only Pardus 2009.2 can be set as default. This did not happen in Pardus 2007 & 2008.

Thanks.

It's a known bug and an update of boot-manager will fix it. It will be released soon.
trixon
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 04:50:51 AM »

kwrite is not in root's path.
Andreas
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 05:21:08 AM »

Hi, I cannot tick Windows as default boot choice. It unticks itself & only Pardus 2009.2 can be set as default.

Hello,

it will be fixed soon, because I wrote it to the Pardus-devel-mailinglist fore some days:  Wink

http://liste.pardus.org.tr/pardus-devel/2010-June/001844.html

Greetings
Andreas
kalwisti
Pardus fellow craft

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 05:31:22 AM »

Hi, yeow,

I do not know how to add kwrite to root's path using the command line, but Pardus provides a nice workaround using the GUI. First, check to see whether the package kde-servicemenu-rootactions is installed; if not, go ahead and install it. Next, use Dolphin to navigate to your desired directory and file, e.g., /boot/grub. If you want to open/edit the file menu.lst with Kwrite, right-click on that file, and then choose Root actions > Open as Text. Kwrite will proceed to open the file.

(Many thanks to atolboo for passing on that tip to me a few months ago).

If you want to experiment further, you'll see that if you become the root user from the command line (as you did before), you will be able to open/edit that file with either vim or Emacs. I have very basic knowledge of Emacs -- enough to edit configuration files, if necessary -- but vim scares the pants off me. However, with atolboo's workaround, you'll be able to comfortably edit such files with Kwrite ...

HTH,
=david

Registered Linux User # 442201

Pardus 2011.2 (KDE 4.6.5, kernel 2.6.37.6)

AMD Athlon II X2 240 (Regor) 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated GPU, Samsung SH-S222L DVD-RW
yeow

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 06:54:36 AM »

Thanks for all the information given.

Thanks kalwisti for providing a workaround. If I require to edit anything else at root (touchwood! I hope no more), I'll definitely give it a try. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 20:22:03 PM by Michiel » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: